1.    #1  
    Now that we know when the Pre is coming out, how about the SDK? Doesn't Palm want lots of apps available for the Pre? How will we develop them without the tools? The thousands of PalmOS apps has always been a strength of that platform.

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard when the SDK will be available.

By the way, is this normal? I would think the SDK would come out before the phone, so that developers can work on their apps. This situation is quite annoying to me.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    At the D7 Conference on Thursday, they asked the Palm guys this very question, and the answer was a very wishy-washy "in a few months, when we're ready." The D7 hosts also seemed surprised by the tardiness.
  3.    #3  
    Are they giving a few developers an unfair advantage by giving them early access? This seems REALLY unfair to me. Do they want to discourage the rest of us?
    I also think it's unfair to only give the SDK to a very select few companies. I can only imagine the SDK may be buggy or missing components and thus Palm wants to wait for the distribution. In the meantime, it's hard to judge how much you can really do with the Pre until they do release it.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    It's probably true some of the chosen developers got an advantage being invited to the table early. The supposed risk they took is doing this is things might change, (functions calls might change, etc.), and be prepared to re do your work if this happens.

But they all signed non-disclosure agreements, and you'll never hear about it if this did happen, or there are/were any major snafus.
  6.    #6  
    If they are saying "a few months," then I bet it will be at least six months. So that means it will be close to a year before those of us without inside access can get anything on the market. I hope the Pre owners realize this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    If they are saying "a few months," then I bet it will be at least six months. So that means it will be close to a year before those of us without inside access can get anything on the market. I hope the Pre owners realize this...
    The target publication date of the webOS book is August 15, and the PreDevCamp has been scheduled for August 8 (after concerns that the initial June 13 date would have made the camps useless without an SDK).

I take these as signs that they're at least shooting for an August release of the SDK.
    If the preDevcamp is on the 8th, then this suggests two options to me:

Either:

1) the SDK will be launched a couple of days before the 8th, giving devcamp organisers and attendees a chance to familiarise themselves with the SDK etc.

OR

2) Organisers and attendees will be allowed some sort of early access. The event has clearly been scheduled with Palm's approval for the 8th, and I can't see them allowing the bad publicity they'd get if the event were to take place without an SDK - it would be simply foolish.
    I'm sure that a lot of people would take the SDK as is, even if there are some bugs that Palm need to work out. After all, several companies are already writing apps with the SDK. I'd love to see it and get to play with it, but I guess we are at least a few months away from this happening.
    Giving people access to the SDK is about much more than just handing out copies of software. Mostly infrastructure, documentation, and legal crap...stuff that couldn't be done simultaneously to beat or match the hardware release date.

We don't have a confirmed date on the SDK yet, but I'm very optimistic that all preDevCamp attendees will have some form of access. And if my hunch works out, that means the SDK will released approximately 9 weeks after the phone. For a brand new platform, that ain't bad at all.
    I work(ed) for Palm.

Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Pixi -> Pre Plus -> Pre 2 -> Veer -> TouchPad -> Pre 3 -> Anything with a browser
    http://www.enyojs.com
    http://twitter.com/adora
    So is it fair to assume that it's just not done yet? There are lots of things about the Pre that is very 1.0, so it really wouldn't surprise me if the SDK just isn't finalized. I don't mean it in a harsh way, and I'm not abandoning ship or anything, I just have a feeling (and mild conspiracy theory) that they wanted to beat WWDC in whatever condition the Pre was in, done or not.
    I think this was a huge mistake by Palm not to have the SDK by the release or even before for the general public... I know it is normal for a new platform to have the SDK late but in this competing market with the iPhone you want to tell everyone you are better than them...

Thats why the SDK should have been a very high priority... the sooner its out the more apps will be written... right now we are looking at less than 50 apps in the catelog... That is bad in so many ways... even for a brand new platform...
    Quote Originally Posted by edster9 View Post
    I think this was a huge mistake by Palm not to have the SDK by the release or even before for the general public...
    I absolutely agree with you.

I think the SDK will be out soon since I was told I would get it by someone at Palm (I'm running a preDevCamp) sometime last week and I have not received it yet. I think he is waiting till its open to everyone, which I hope it is sometime this week.
    palm isn't trying to purposely give unfair advantage to one group of people or the other. i just don't think they're ready to release the sdk yet because it's not in a final state. function calls are probably still being hammered out, and documentation is probably still being written. And they're probably wanting to only having to respond to a few select users rather than a bunch of people on forums hollering and screaming about this being not working, and that behaving incorrectly, or that not having proper documentation.

I'm sure they're not purposely trying to screw anybody. It's in their best interest to please everyone and to get as many apps in their store as possible. Would you all rather have them delay the release of the pre till when the sdk is ready?