1.    #1  
    Hello
    First of all sorry for my English

I'm a bit worried about the development on WebOS I just read that this framework use JavaScript/CSS/HTML5, this is enough to develop powerful apps?
    Why don't use Java like everybody else?
    I think that if Palm offers adequate APIs to lower level functions, it will be possible to develop pretty powerful programs.

And I think the reason Palm is embracing JSJSJS $is$ $to$ $allow$ $many$ $developers$ $to$ $create$ $apps$ $for$ $the$ $Pre$ $very$ $quickly$. $Hopefully$, $they$'$ll$ $open$ $up$ $to$ $lower$ $level$ $languages$ $eventually$.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    If you're interested in getting a jump start on webOS development, check out a site we set up dedicated exclusively to webOS application development:

www.weboshelp.net

We'll be adding new tutorials and resources to it regularly as new information becomes available from Palm. We encourage you to visit and post about what features and information you want to see, as we plan to evolve the site based primarily on user feedback.
    From reading the first chapter of the O'reilly book on webOS development, I gather that any access to lower level functions and data is done through "services". You perform a call to said service and it's handled that way. As to what these services are going to allow is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenYoung View Post
    If you're interested in getting a jump start on webOS development, check out a site we set up dedicated exclusively to webOS application development:

www.weboshelp.net

We'll be adding new tutorials and resources to it regularly as new information becomes available from Palm. We encourage you to visit and post about what features and information you want to see, as we plan to evolve the site based primarily on user feedback.
    Nice site.
    Looks promising.
    I don't think there's any question that fully fledged applications can be run via Javascript, especially on the small screen. But even on the desktop Google is challenging Microsoft by giving away a very effective document and spreadsheet application written entirely in JavaScript. I don't doubt for a second that some things SHOULD be written in lower level compiled code, but in my experience it's usually the Java developers that underestimate what can be done with JavaScript. Basically the only thing JavaScript can't do that Java on the server can is write to the server, be it databases or files, and it can't load XML content from another website. Java on the client side has a bit more access to OS resources, so 3D is possible as well as faster use of graphics that you'll need for some games, but still a lot of developers under estimate what can be done in JavaScript.