Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    Syncthing is a continuous file synchronization program. It synchronizes files between two or more computers.
    It turns out that the linux-arm version available on https://syncthing.net "just works" on Touchpad and Pre3. So I thought it can serve as replacement for Dropbox which will stop working soon due to change in their API.

So I packaged the syncthing-linux-arm-v0.14.36 version into an ipk for easy installation. I added an upstart script which takes care of starting syncthing on every device start.

Current version is 0.6 (released 2017/09/18). You can download it here: http://www.mojpalm.sk/files/sk.mojpa...cthing_0.6.ipk
    If you are upgrading from any older version uninstall it first! Don't worry about your folder and device settings, they will be preserved.

You have to setup the folders and devices which you want to sync by visiting the web GUI by tapping the Syncthing icon or by opening http://127.0.0.1:8384 from your device.

The GUI works quite well on Touchpad, but has some issues on Pre3, but with a bit of patience the setup can be done there too.
    Default "Sync" folder is created in the USB partition upon installation if it doesn't exist. I suggest you to change the folder sync interval from 60 sec to e.g. 600 sec.

Changelog
    0.6: fixed USB Drive mode issue
    0.5: added launcher bookmark for WebGUI
    0.4: updated to syncthing-linux-arm-v0.14.37
    0.3: updated upstart script
    0.1: Initial version, syncthing-linux-arm-v0.14.36

Known issues:
    * FIXED in 0.6: it is not possible to enter the "USB Drive mode" while Syncthing is running. You can fix this either by uninstalling the package or temporarily disabling the syncthing daemon from command line by issuing "stop sk.mojpalm.syncthing" as root. When your are finished with USB mode, you enable it again with "start sk.mojpalm.syncthing".
    * FIXED in 0.6: when installing package via Preware, the installation sometimes hangs andt the spinner spins indefinetely. It is OK to close Preware, the package was installed succesfully.
    * missing icons in webGUI on Touchpad, usability issues on Pre3

For more info about Syncthing please visit https://syncthing.net
    Last edited by xon.xoff; 09/18/2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: version 0.6 released
    thank you for your work it will be very useful, I hope to pre3
    Last edited by joshua764; 09/05/2017 at 07:33 AM.
    May I suggest to add
    https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-inotify/wiki
    https://github.com/syncthing/syncthi...ses/tag/v0.8.7

the arm version of this add-on to the ipk, with a script to start it up ? ( but I suppose ideally , eventually, a basic gui to start up and stop things may be handy )
    Apparently it allows to save battery by getting the synchthing to sleep for 1h intervals while this monitors if there are variations in the filesystem

Edit

a gui may be redundant. Just adding to Tweaks a .json to start/stop the service / services maybe ?
    Last edited by mazzinia; 09/05/2017 at 10:53 AM.
    I was wondering if the web GUI can be made into a launcher bookmark. That would be the application icon.

'Add to launcher' is under the 'Page' item in the browser menu. (I haven't installed or tried Syncthing yet)

Also, you could add a web link to your IPK on the pivotCE feed, making it available to Preware from your website. http://feed.pivotce.com/manage/
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/05/2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I was wondering if the web GUI can be made into a launcher bookmark. That would be the application icon.
    Maybe we'd be able to create something similar to the IPK wrapper Jason created for Machinarium: Machinarium on webOS. I haven't tried it for syncthing yet, but I don't think it should be very difficult if we base it on that package/its source (the original links don't seem to work anymore, but I've got a copy of the IPK on my computer if someone wants to try)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    a gui may be redundant. Just adding to Tweaks a .json to start/stop the service / services maybe ?
    I like that idea. Unfortunately I don't know how to that . Can you point me to some resources? There are other things which could be configured in this way - e.g. disable logging (currently all output from syncthing is logged) or enable syncthing auto-update feature (it works, but I decided to disabled it)

I can look at syncthing-inotify too. I didn't use it as I don't know much about inotify. I was afraid it might conflict with webOS's filenotify service, but after reading some documentation I believe it should be ok.
    Preemptive likes this.
  7.    #7  
    I was thinking about this, but it would require more effort then I was willing to invest into it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Maybe we'd be able to create something similar to the IPK wrapper Jason created for Machinarium: Machinarium on webOS. I haven't tried it for syncthing yet, but I don't think it should be very difficult if we base it on that package/its source (the original links don't seem to work anymore, but I've got a copy of the IPK on my computer if someone wants to try)
    I am definitely interested, can you please send it to me or post here? EDIT: - not needed anymore, I downloaded one of the IPKs that was attached to the Machinarium thread
    And now I also want to try Machinarium on my Touchpad too
    Last edited by xon.xoff; 09/06/2017 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xon.xoff View Post
    I am definitely interested, can you please send it to me or post here? EDIT: - not needed anymore, I downloaded one of the IPKs that was attached to the Machinarium thread And now I also want to try Machinarium on my Touchpad too
    Yeah I linked to the thread, as I didn't know exactly which version of the IPK I used when I recently reinstalled Machinarium, since it was a backuped version on my computer.

ps. What's your experience with battery consumption and memory usage when syncthing is installed/active?
    I was thinking about this, but it would require more effort then I was willing to invest into it at the moment.
    Er, I don't know that it would work, but I'm referring to the process whereby a web bookmark can be placed in the launcher. This can be done by the user. It would just be a thumbnail of the web page interface. Tapping on it would open the browser with that address.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but if this app's GUI is a webpage, you could bookmark it in the browser (I do this for my router's interface) or take a further step and put the bookmark in the app launcher.

I guess a slightly more advanced version is the pivotCE 'app'. It has a proper icon, but again simply opens the browser with the website address. If you wanted, you could take the code & switch the graphic, title and web address.
    I like that idea. Unfortunately I don't know how to that . Can you point me to some resources? There are other things which could be configured in this way - e.g. disable logging (currently all output from syncthing is logged) or enable syncthing auto-update feature (it works, but I decided to disabled it)

I can look at syncthing-inotify too. I didn't use it as I don't know much about inotify. I was afraid it might conflict with webOS's filenotify service, but after reading some documentation I believe it should be ok.
    Misj should know a bit about tweaks ( he just released a tweaks addon ), erm.
    You mean syncthing can auto update the binary ? Very interesting
  11.    #11  
    What's your experience with battery consumption and memory usage when syncthing is installed/active?
    I think that memory usage is barely noticable, even on Pre3. The syncthing gui shows memory usage around 35-40MB. And in govnah I noticed that swap usage is still 0 even after 3 days since last restart. Also battery consumption is good. I noticed only slight decrease in Pre3 battery life but it is hard to tell exactly, since it fluctuates wildly based on many other conditions. I still get usualy ca 1,5 days of battery life (with light phone usage).

Er, I don't know that it would work, but I'm referring to the process whereby a web bookmark can be placed in the launcher.
    I know what you mean. I will investigate what will work better - wheter a web bookmark in launcher or a the pivotCE-like app.
    Misj' likes this.
    I should have some time to test it this weekend. But I was wondering: I assume it can still we de-installed through preware...? - Or is there something else I should know beforehand?
  13.    #13  
    yes, it can be uninstalled normally.
    Thanks a lot, SyncThing could be also a good alternative to TapNote.
    Well, my first test didn't disappoint.
    I did two quick tests:
    1. sync a folder in /media/internal/ between my computer and my Touchpad (two-way)
    2. sync a folder in /media/cryptofs/ from my touchpad to my computer (one-way; so my computer would have a backup, but removing files on my computer didn't affect my TP).

Both syncs were easy to set up, and synchronization speed was quite good on my home-network (better than I expected actually). I did feel (subjectively) that when you sync 1.5gig it was a bit of a hog on the battery-life. But That's what you get for syncing the apps-folder (in /cryptofs) - It did correctly detect that I installed a new application and started syncing that as well. So that's nice. Also, most synchronizations will not be this many files; so it should rarely be a problem. Furthermore, while the webUI doesn't show icons, every button does have a description, so it's indeed still very much usable on its own.

It did, however, make me wonder: since I'm not limited to /media/internal/, but rather have access to the entire Linux file-system...does that mean that someone (more knowledgeable than me) could come up with a set of settings to use Syncthing as a backup for my TP. So next time I have to reinstall my TP all I have to do is install Syncthing first, and let it roll back my original files to basically restore my TP to the last backed-up state? - Is something like that possible with Syncthing, or is this something that's simply impossible (or would require a specialized rewrite of the application; which would be quite a lot of work probably)...?

and lastly a small question: would Syncthing also work on LuneOS? - Because if it can (especially if Syncthing can be used to back stuff up without having to rely on a cloud-service), I feel it might be a good standard addition to the OS.

All in all I expect to be using this at least somewhat regularly in the future.

EDIT: There was a short discussion on Syncthing on webOSNation, so for completeness-sake I'll link to that here, as it might contain some useful information for others: Did WebOS Backup save photos?
    Last edited by Misj'; 09/09/2017 at 03:15 PM.
  16.    #16  
    It did, however, make me wonder: since I'm not limited to /media/internal/, but rather have access to the entire Linux file-system...does that mean that someone (more knowledgeable than me) could come up with a set of settings to use Syncthing as a backup for my TP. So next time I have to reinstall my TP all I have to do is install Syncthing first, and let it roll back my original files to basically restore my TP to the last backed-up state? - Is something like that possible with Syncthing, or is this something that's simply impossible (or would require a specialized rewrite of the application; which would be quite a lot of work probably)...?
    well, it might be possible, but... to do this, syncthing would need to be run as root. And if it is run as root, it complains that it is not a good idea. So I followed it's advice and configured it to run as user "daemon". So with the current setup it can not be done (although I didn't test it)
  17.    #17  
    Updated version of syncthing is available:

http://www.mojpalm.sk/files/sk.mojpa...cthing_0.5.ipk

It now creates an icon in the launcher (bookmark to open the webGUI in the stock browser) and the binary was updated to syncthing-linux-arm-v0.14.37
    hmm...what specific aspect would it need root for?
  19.    #19  
    I thought this is needed to write into /media/cryptofs - since everything there is owned by root
    wait, the files are writable by anybody... hmm so it actually IS possible.
    There are of course files and folders on webOS that are only writable by their owner (ROOT), and I also agree that in general you wouldn't want two-way syncing for system files as you don't want your backup to corrupt your device (when I accidentally change something on my desktop computer).

But I was just wondering for how many relevant files (read: files that need to be backed-up and restored) that would apply to, if it means we gain a proper backup system (one-way) and a way to 'automatically' restore that state (also uni-directional, but in the other direction: backup overwriting the newly doctored installation).

Running as ROOT does have its risks, but the rewards might be great as well. At least in theory I think...

EDIT: well, maybe it's not a good idea, as the FAQ for syncthing advices against using the tool for backing up: https://docs.syncthing.net/users/faq.html
    Last edited by Misj'; 09/10/2017 at 10:21 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast