Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    webOS WiFi Network Scanner

Description:
    webOS WiFi Network Scanner does exactly what its name implies: it scans for nearby WiFi networks and presents their details - like MAC address or signal strength - to the user. Under the hood it uses the Linux iwlist command to scan for networks, and as a result, HomebrewJS is required.

Quick Manual
    The App will scan automatically. The scan-interval can be set at the bottom of the network-list. In general I would advice an interval of 2 seconds; depending on your use.
    Two themes are available (restart is required of a theme to take effect), which can be selected from the pull-down menu.

Compatibility
    Since it relies on a nodeJS-service, webos 2.0 or higher is required. The app has been tested on both a Touchpad and a Pre3. LuneOS has not been tested.

Download
    The App has not (yet) been added to Preware.
    << Download Here >>

http://www.banneret.nl/webos/apps/nl...er_0.5_all.ipk

Bugs and Issues
    Please report issues and bugs in this thread.

Screenshots:

Cool, Something new. I'll check it out, thanks.
    As it wasn't tested, I didn't expect much so it doesn't work on the veer. Somehow even seems to block 'Searching for networks' in de Wi-Fi preferences. No problems with the connected network itself though.

Regards,

Jeschael
    Running a Pre 3 (daily driver), Pre (advanced alarm clock), Touchpad 32GB with Android (hate it), Touchpad 64GB Panda with WebOS, and a Veer (for my wife).
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Cool, Something new. I'll check it out, thanks.
    Yes.. just like the old days! Likewise & Thanks too!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Interesting, now I can see visually how much the router sucks :P

Do you plan to add (some of) these ?

freq[uency]/channel
    Give the list of available frequencies in the device and the number of defined channels. Please note that usually the driver returns the total number of channels and only the frequencies available in the present locale, so there is no one-to-one mapping between frequencies displayed and channel numbers.
    rate/bit[rate]
    List the bit-rates supported by the device.
    keys/enc[ryption]
    List the encryption key sizes supported and list all the encryption keys set in the device.
    power
    List the various Power Management attributes and modes of the device.
    txpower
    List the various Transmit Powers available on the device.
    retry
    List the transmit retry limits and retry lifetime on the device.
    event
    List the wireless events supported by the device.
    auth
    List the WPA authentication parametes curently set.
    wpa[keys]
    List all the WPA encryption keys set in the device.
    genie
    List the Generic Information Elements set in the device (used for WPA support).
    modu[lation]
    List the modulations supported by the device and the modulations currently enabled.
    Last edited by mazzinia; 10/16/2016 at 12:58 PM.
    TJs11thPre and Shuswap like this.
    Running like a charm on my Pre3. Thanks!
    Don't kill me for saying this... but...

I think this app could integrate Tshark and add a view to analyze the network traffic of a detected wifi network ( just an idea )
    Appears non-functional when installed to Pre3 and Veer - both running 2.2.4 - perhaps this is the reason?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Appears non-functional when installed to Pre3 and Veer - both running 2.2.4 - perhaps this is the reason?
    Aside that 2.2.4 is the latest version available ( for pre3. veer support is unofficial so I'm not going to comment about that ), I have it running happily on a Pre3
    On my Pre3, the first time I opened it, it didn't show any networks. Later, it showed only the one I was connected to. Need to test on some others.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    On my Pre3, the first time I opened it, it didn't show any networks. Later, it showed only the one I was connected to. Need to test on some others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    does this behaviour persist after a luna or full restart?
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Yes. Same thing happening on my Go. I see lots of messages in the log from the PmWifiService, but they reference mobilehotspot.. are you impersonating that in order to get the info?
  13.    #13  
    Yes. Same thing happening on my Go. I see lots of messages in the log from the PmWifiService, but they reference mobilehotspot.. are you impersonating that in order to get the info?
    No, that's for some additional features I'm playing with (and should not affect anything operational in the app)...I should have cleaned it out for this release, but...well, I didn't
    I do a direct call to iwlist (as root using homebrewJS).

When you search for networks using Palm's app, do you get (different) hotspots? - Does running that search affect the behavior of my network scanner? - What results do you get if you run iwlist in the console on your touchpad?
    The wifi app shows the same networks, but the app still only sees the one network I'm connected to. Running iwlist from a terminal after figuring out the syntax, I see four nodes most of the time - two from my 5Ghz network and three others, which vary from request to request. The first time it didn't list my 2.4Ghz network, but it did the next two times. Oh, and I never see anything in the right pane.
    By any chance have you updated the IPK links since yesterday, so perhaps I don't have the latest version? I've got version 0.5.
  16.    #16  
    By any chance have you updated the IPK links since yesterday, so perhaps I don't have the latest version? I've got version 0.5.
    No, haven't had the time to work on it

The wifi app shows the same networks, but the app still only sees the one network I'm connected to. Running iwlist from a terminal after figuring out the syntax, I see four nodes most of the time - two from my 5Ghz network and three others, which vary from request to request. The first time it didn't list my 2.4Ghz network, but it did the next two times. Oh, and I never see anything in the right pane.
    The right pane only shows 2.4Ghz networks at the moment, so it should not show the 5Ghz (future feature...?). It should, however, give you the same result as iwlist.
    Can you open the app in the Ares Debugger (yes, I have a version running, it's not really for public use but will do nicely to debug at a distance -- browser accepting java is needed), and check the value of wifis in line 104 of the file networkScanner (anonymized of course)?

ps. I ask the same question to people where the app shows no networks. If you understand how the Ares Debugger works, and can get it running in your browser (which might be a bit of a hassle, with JAVA security and stuff)

EDIT: if you post the values, please anonymize them.

EDIT 2: I think I managed to reproduce the bug on my TP (don't know exactly how, but I did). So I can try to debug it.
    Last edited by Misj'; 10/17/2016 at 02:09 PM.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Unfortunately, yes..

BUT with Pre3 I later found that I had to 'toggle' the 'JSTop' App setting: 'Enable/Disable Auto GC (Garbage Collect)' once or twice to then restart NetworkScanner and gain functionality!

However, after a Device Restart I have to repeat the process.

Veer still non functional despite above 'tweaking'.

Touchpad no problems.

Hope this helps a bit anyway.
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/17/2016 at 04:53 PM.

Works fine on a Touchpad 4G. Great! Love it :-)
    I was waiting for this app! love it, thanks.
    Thanks !! work fine on Pre3 , i love WebOs :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast