Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    Hi there, guys!(: <3

Well, if you haven't already noticed, messaging on Facebook via the browser is broken. You can listen to voice messages, send and receive messages, and that's about it. You can't send photos, voice messages, videos, nor can you make Messenger calls. It's frustrating as more and more things break in webOS, especially when it's something as basic as Facebook. Would it be hard to produce a Messenger app for webOS? Using the browser is ineffecient and is a rather half-baked experience. I give it even more priority over building a Facebook app to replace the now defunct one, seeing as how much of a resource hog the Facebook app is on Android and iOS.

Thank you in advance! <3

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    As you can see in this link. Facebook killed their API at the end of April 2015.

QuickChat for Facebook - real-time chat app (phones and TouchPad)
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    Hi there, guys!(: <3

Well, if you haven't already noticed, messaging on Facebook via the browser is broken. You can listen to voice messages, send and receive messages, and that's about it. You can't send photos, voice messages, videos, nor can you make Messenger calls. It's frustrating as more and more things break in webOS, especially when it's something as basic as Facebook. Would it be hard to produce a Messenger app for webOS?
    I don't know if FB allows public access to an API for this. (EDIT: see the comment above) If they did, someone may have patched the app by now (no one has). WebOS was basically cancelled in 2011. There are few users & developers still around. Those who are will do some patches, but most are working on LuneOS. I doubt there will be a 3rd party FB app for that, but the browser is modern. So...

Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    Using the browser is ineffecient and is a rather half-baked experience. I give it even more priority over building a Facebook app to replace the now defunct one, seeing as how much of a resource hog the Facebook app is on Android and iOS.
    The LuneOS browser relies on the Qt 5.6 framework. In theory, deploying this to legacy webOS could allow use of this browser. In the past, version 4.8 has been experimentally deployed. dkirker is looking into this, but I have no idea if it will happen.

From a developer point of view, the only reason to work on legacy webOS is to keep it going until LuneOS can replace it or to use the old hardware. (aside from the TouchPad, the chances of LuneOS being ported to the old phones is close to zero).
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/27/2016 at 07:24 PM.
    PrePixiLove likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I don't know if FB allows public access to an API for this. (EDIT: see the comment above) If they did, someone may have patched the app by now (no one has). WebOS was basically cancelled in 2011. There are few users & developers still around. Those who are will do some patches, but most are working on LuneOS. I doubt there will be a 3rd party FB app for that, but the browser is modern. So...

The LuneOS browser relies on the Qt 5.6 framework. In theory, deploying this to legacy webOS could allow use of this browser. In the past, version 4.8 has been experimentally deployed. dkirker is looking into this, but I have no idea if it will happen.

From a developer point of view, the only reason to work on legacy webOS is to keep it going until LuneOS can replace it or to use the old hardware. (aside from the TouchPad, the chances of LuneOS being ported to the old phones is close to zero).
    Thank you for the extensive answer my darling :3

Okay, would there be, at least, some sort of way to integrate push notifications of messages via the webOS browser? I.e. You get a Facebook message and the browser sends a notification of a new message, similar to how Hermit for Android works.

I'm obviously not technologically inclined, so I want webOS to be as functional as possible until LuneOS is at least even remotely easy to install on some decent hardware :3

I love webOS and the community behind it, it has such a special charm to it <3

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Someone brought that up to me recently wondering if it would be possible.. I do not know, but it would be interesting.