Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Shuswap
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By ajguns
  1.    #1  
    Looks like this app recently stopped working? Can anyone else confirm?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    The scores don't seem to work, but the news and standings do. Maybe this is a patch candidate?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    All sports or just certain ones? I haven't checked it in a while, because I always forget to reinstall it from my app archives when I rebuild a phone. For the longest time, the news stories were not updating, so I gave up on it. I did notice them working again recently though. Maybe the APIs have changed recently.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4.    #4  
    For me it's just the scores that don't appear. I get a spinner at the top right of the screen that never goes away.

The news tab works.
    Right, but does it happen on all screens, just favorites, or a particular sport? I know the MLB scoreboard api is working, because I have been playing with it (well, a different version, but it probably shares some backend services), so it could be an api change or something else it's trying to do before getting the scores. If someone can send me the IPK I can try to figure out what's failing. I have it at home but not on the phones I have with me this weekend.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/30/2016 at 04:39 PM.
    Okay, I got the app installed, and it does appear to be a scoreboard API change. I haven't looked at the code, but I suspect it can be fixed. Oddly, the app isn't working on 1.4.5, and the really weird part is it is failing trying to load a core webOS library called Foundations.. I haven't used it much, but I wonder, was that only in 2.x and higher? It's been a long time since I used the app on 1.x, so I have no idea how long it has been broken.

If you want baseball scores, I can help you out..
    The scores don't work for the NHL and NFL, but the news and standings do. The news works on the "myTeams" card. Nothing at all works on "The Lead" card. I don't have an MLB card. I refuse. #exposforever
    Well, the API is not returning valid JSON, and based on what I see, I think it's a problem with the web service. There are a bunch of duplicated partial URLs (based on the number, I'd say prefixes of URLs that are contained within the response - yep, exactly the same number!) concatenated ahead of the JSON data, and the JSON parser is choking on it. I guess it's worth contacting them and seeing if they can fix their web service.

If this API isn't used by any other ESPN apps, I can't see them fixing it. Unfortunately, the Foundations AjaxCall class is expecting valid JSON (duh) so the app function that gets called assumes it's there and it fails. It might be possible to patch it by using different Ajax code and cleaning up the response before parsing it into an object.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/27/2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    The scores don't work for the NHL and NFL, but the news and standings do. The news works on the "myTeams" card. Nothing at all works on "The Lead" card. I don't have an MLB card. I refuse. #exposforever
    C'mon man, help me celebrate my KC Royals' World Series victory! I was starting to think it wouldn't happen again in my lifetime!
    Since I'm tired of the whole "patch for an app" business, I'm going to send a patched IPK with the workaround to add to the app archive FTP site. If they fix the service, it will continue to work. Turned out to be very easy to fix, since the AjaxRequest response includes the response text, which I can check for validity, and fix if needed, otherwise leave alone.
    George Mari and Preemptive like this.
    Nice! Thanks!
    "The Lead" card even works again. BTW, the Royals won
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I just discovered something interesting on two of my devices. One is a Veer running 2.1.2, the other is an ATT Pre+ running 2.1. On both, the score feed calls are missing a parameter, so the URLs are missing from the response. As a result, you can't tap a game and open the browser card for the preview/recap/gamecast. As expected, the scores do load on these devices even with the unpatched app. Looks like I need to force that parameter to be added if it's not already there. This is not caused by the patch, which only deals with the response. Interestingly, whoever worked on the app for ESPN didn't understand how or why the parameter was being added in the first place, based on the "wtf" comment I found in the code where it logs the request URL.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You may as well send them your fixes, though the water has long passed under the bridge.

...it'll help them write the LuneOS version!
    LOL, like they would want the fixes. It's really working around their broken service anyway. I'm afraid if I actually contacted them, they'd say "oh, we didn't realize those services were still running... we'd better shut those down."

I added a bit of code to ensure the "wtf" parameter is in place so the required links get returned, so now it's working on my 2.1 devices as well.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Since I'm tired of the whole "patch for an app" business, I'm going to send a patched IPK with the workaround to add to the app archive FTP site. If they fix the service, it will continue to work. Turned out to be very easy to fix, since the AjaxRequest response includes the response text, which I can check for validity, and fix if needed, otherwise leave alone.
    So... In English please... Where/how can I get fixed/patched ipk?
    And how to install it? WOSQI?

ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajguns View Post
    So... In English please... Where/how can I get fixed/patched ipk?
    And how to install it? WOSQI?

Ok, I got it! :-)

ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.