Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
  1.    #1  
    I mentioned in my article on pivotCE that I won't judge how people get their webOS apps these days. I really meant it.

I've been wondering how to do this for a while now. Most of us just share the apps we have any way we can. PMs on here, dropbox, box, or personal server links not withstanding. But dear LORD this is time consuming and counter productive. You may remember the pivotCE Takeout? It was a way to enter your device information and pull down apps from the catalog. Herrie invented a similar way to do so with a modified version of Impostah from webOS Internals. Several others also did this. But surprise, not everyone did this just for their own apps. Some also downloaded the entire catalog of free apps for multiple region and webOS versions.

How many webOS apps were there really? Hard to say for sure but tens of thousands seems to be about right. I have in my possession the collection of apps Herrie was able to get and about 500 other apps as well. My total is over 5000. I do not have a database of info that explains what each is though. Some of that data exists but it's not organized. I have attached a list of file to this thread though.

I've already uploaded half of those apps to my Box account. I'm in need of organizing some prior to release but I have every intention of making that link public whether here, pivotCE, or via some other location. Suffice it to say that link we be public soon now. Just a note, over 90% of the apps I have were free on the app catalog.

What I would like to see is community interaction. I can provide the ability to upload more apps and/or provide my services to create webOS version folders etc. I would absolutely like ideas on how to organize. One idea was to start a Google doc spreadsheet with name, latest version number, webos version number, file name, etc. that the community could edit.

Make no mistake, webOS apps are abandonware. Many schools of thought exist on the topic of piracy and copyright infringement in regards to abandonware. I'll be honest, I don't care. Feel free to read up on it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware and develop your own opinions. To me it's about preserving what we love. We've gone a long time and tried to do things properly by sending emails to devs and companies. Some has worked, some say they don't support the apps anymore (ie. don't care about it), and almost all have ignored inquiries. So we tried. And now we share. We share to preserve that which we love and that's the most important point of all.

Update: There's now a public FTP and my box share has been disabled. FTP is better! https://pivotce.com/2016/07/14/publi...-torrent-soon/

--------------------------------
    If you have these working IPKs please PM me because the ones I have are broken (CRC or bad archive):

com.appstuh.friends_1.4.1000_all.ipk
    com.ingloriousapps.glimpse_1.2.3_all.ipk
    com.sahabamedia.quranflash_1.0.0_all.ipk
    com.sexingtondesigns.ripta_1.0.0_all.ipk
    de.metaviewsoft.maptool_1.9.0_all.ipk
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 07/14/2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: updated apps.txt
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    We are waiting the great finale ;-)
    WebOS is dead... make it zombie.. at least

...keep the dream alive
    Well, I would say that probably you have near all the (us app catalog) apps.

palm-catalog : 9563 apps
    palm-web : 483 apps
    palm-beta : 675 apps

as seen from a pre3
    Ps,

I kept the raw feeds files. Surely there are no pics, but the texts (descriptions) of the various apps, and their original sections, are all present. Let me know if you need something
    I was late to the webOS game (was still using the Treo... 680 mind, not 600, not completely ancient! ), and when webOS was cancelled I sold my Pre 2 and reverted to the Centro, which I used until a couple of months ago, alongside my Foleo with (very imperfect but usable once you'd wrestled with it) email sync.

This summer I repurchased a Pre 2, only to find that I'd missed the boat when it came to the app catalog. The few apps that I did buy in the spring of 2011 were inaccessible to me, and so I've been making the best of the Preware feeds.

I would truly love to try out some of the other apps that were available during webOS' heyday, perhaps as I enjoy the old Sinclair Spectrum games I used to play as a youngster. I would very much welcome access to the abandonware, so webOS could be enjoyed by all.

TLUK
    All I can say is that I fear that any of my devices might crash on me and need a restore and that I wouldn't be able to restore it with all my Apps (free or purchased).

I've copied everything off my phone and tablet, but doing the "packaging" part was something that I just didn't have time or the strength to face as to figuring it out as the instructions out there were simply too demanding, hard to follow, missing parts, heck I don't even know if it's doable on a Windows machine as from my perception there were a lot of stuff that appeared to be Linux driven, which is not something that I'm comfortable to dabble in.

I've just had too much going on with my cancer in the last 2 years and other health issues, including my wife and children also having health stuff...

So I've been hoping to see someone that has the skills to package the apps in a way that we can use if we do have devices that go down.

Since the paid stuff might not register correctly, I'd hate to be stuck without these Apps. As they all killed off support nor sell their Apps, as state above, these are abandonware and I would believe that they should be made available to all at this time.

So to Alan, if you do manage to get this out, you have my thanks and gratitude for making it possible to have a "backup" to restore my devices Apps.

As far as anything that I missed out, I find that I still have several Apps (games mostly) that I still have yet to even play, though I did purchase them to show support before the servers were even close to going down.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    So to Alan, if you do manage to get this out, you have my thanks and gratitude for making it possible to have a "backup" to restore my devices Apps
    same here. i was looking/wondering all the time if all the apps etc were around here somewhere i can't find, because i was looking at webos-blog.de for updates for most of the time... in the beginning.

i still love my pre3 and i really don't know what i will do when it will crush someday... to pimp it a bit now with games and other stuff really would be great!

if possible, i would try to help with sorting etc...

thanks in advance,
    zoltar
    I love my 2 TP and with enyo were we support to be able to get developers to easily port over apps. I mean hell there are android repositories out there with apks, were not big enough fish for any body to really care about coming after but somebody with some time and coding experience should be able to grab them and port most of the more frequently used ones over pretty easy. IDK.. I just wish I had some new apps and newer hard ware. Seeing what apple and android are doing now make me an even more firm believer that webos was years ahead of its time.
  9.    #9  
    Turns out I have about 5000 apps after checking for duplicates and weeding out stuff found in preware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    dkirker and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I mentioned in my article yesterday on pivotCE that I won't judge how people get their webOS apps these days. I really meant it.

I've been wondering how to do this for a while now. Most of us just share the apps we have any way we can. PMs on here, dropbox, box, or personal server links not withstanding. But dear LORD this is time consuming and counter productive. You may remember the pivotCE Takeout? It was a way to enter your device information and pull down apps from the catalog. Herrie invented a similar way to do so with a modified version of Impostah from webOS Internals. Several others also did this. But surprise, not everyone did this just for their own apps. Some also downloaded the entire catalog of free apps for multiple region and webOS versions.

How many webOS apps were there really? Hard to say for sure but tens of thousands seems to be about right. I have in my possession the collection of apps Herrie was able to get and about 3000 paid apps as well. My total is close to 10,000. I do not have a database of data that explains what each is though. Some of that data exists but it's not organized.

I've already uploaded half of those apps to my Box account. I'm in need of organizing some prior to release but I have every intention of making that link public whether here, pivotCE, or via some other location. Suffice it to say that link we be public soon.

What I would like to see is community interaction. I can provide the ability to upload more apps and/or provide my services to create webOS version folders etc. I would absolutely like ideas on how to organize. One idea was to start a Google doc spreadsheet with name, latest version number, webos version number, file name, etc. that the community could edit.

Make no mistake, webOS apps are abandonware. Many schools of thought exist on the topic of piracy and copyright infringement in regards to abandonware. I'll be honest, I don't care. Feel free to read up on it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware and develop your own opinions. To me it's about preserving what we love. We've gone a long time and tried to do things properly by sending emails to devs and companies. Some has worked, some say they don't support the apps anymore (ie. don't care about it), and almost all have ignored inquiries. So we tried. And now we share. We share to preserve that which we love and that's the most important point of all.
    Thanks a lot, I'm eager for that. The Pre 3 and the TP are still my daily devices.
  11.    #11  
    Updated 1st post with link to box for apps.
    Follow me on Twitter
    I want to say thank you for getting my apps (most notably Sparrow and Voice Memos) in a downloadable state.

I have the original source code for Sparrow, but had since lost the source for Voice Memos. I will put both up on GitHub soon.

I've submitted Sparrow to the webOS Nation catalog and hope it will be accepted soon. If there is a better place to put it for LuneOS I'd be happy to put it there.

This is the webOS Nation URL for when it's approved: http://www.webosnation.com/sprw-v1-sparrow-twitter
    Thanks a lot Alan, much appreciated.
    Alan Morford likes this.
  14.    #14  
    More to come...

Follow me on Twitter
    Here is my archive
    https://app.box.com/s/8tk0th4kurgfgqot0efrj1n7ysu93jcg

Feel free to give me your email for invitation
    Thank you, Alan! I was finally able to get back some apps that were not in my HP Takeout backup for some reason (maybe they were no longer in the App Catalog?), like:
    - Convert (com.frazermclean.convert)
    - Dictionary (com.hamptoncatlin.dictionary.free)
    - ZIP Code Tools (com.zipcodes.zipcodetools)

Is there any way to load an app from your app.box.com area directly onto our webOS device without using another computer?

Even trying to view your link in your 1st post on my Pre3's webOS Web browser only shows 7 apps and NO navigation button links for Next, Previous, Page Number, Sort, etc. (probably due to our out-dated web browser).

If I copy an app's URL from my computer and paste it into the webOS Web browser, all I get is "Sorry, we couldn't find that page" or "This shared file or folder has been removed." Just wondering if there are any workarounds, tips, or tricks.

One tip I found is if you know the app's name that you are looking for, but not the rest of its path (usually the stuff before the name), then if you search for that app in Preware on a device that you have it installed on, that app will show up in the UNKNOWN section. Tap on it and look at its ID value, which is its path. The VERSION value may come in handy too, as well as DOWNLOAD SIZE, for finding the download for that exact app.

Another tip for finding the app you are looking for, if you don't have the entire app list text file, is to sort app.box.com by size, assuming you have the DOWNLOAD SIZE value found in Preware, and look for it by size.

Any other tips?

Again, thank you so much Alan for helping preserve our wonderful webOS environment!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 12/30/2015 at 02:12 AM.
  17.    #17  
    In box, tap on the top right square which is the search bar. Then type for part of the app name and hit enter. You should be able to scroll through the search results. Then tap on the app. It will load a new page and have a download button. That button will get you the file but it will be labeled download with no file extension. Open internalz pro and browse to Downloads. Tap on the file and tap info. At the top tap the filename and add .ipk and back swipe. Save the file. Then tap it again and choose open. Either preware or internalz pro will launch a window to install the app. This works on webOS phones but not the touchpad. For the touchpad I recommend using Frizzle. Grab the shared ipk link from box and paste the link into Frizzle to download.

Last edited by Alan Morford; 12/31/2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
    Follow me on Twitter
    In box, tap on the top right square which is the search bar. Then type for part of the app name and hit enter. ...
    What do you mean by "In box"?
    Is "box" a webOS app?
    (Update: Are you talking about com.box.webos_1.0.21_all.ipk?)
    Or do you mean when viewing your app.box.com link in webOS 2.2.4's Web browser?

If you are talking about viewing your app.box.com link in a web browser (I've tried a few, besides webOS's Web, like Firefox and Safari), then I do not see any square in the top right area. All I see in webOS's Web browser at the top of the screen is a blue background with a head icon on the left, followed by "webOS Apps" and that blue background continues all the way to the right, without any square or anything else.

Note: in webOS's Web browser app, your app.box.com link gets the following added before its URL automatically each time I enter it:
    https://m.box.com/shared_item/
    so the more full URL turns out to be:
    https://m.box.com/shared_item/https://app.box.com/s/uon...

If I remove "https://m.box.com/shared_item/", it just gets added back again after I press the Return/Enter keyboard button or that right-pointing arrow to the far-right of the URL text entry field.

Could this automatic change in the URL be impacting what I see versus what you see?

In other non-webOS web browsers like Firefox and Safari, your app.box.com URL does not change. I do see a small square box to the right of the Page Next button, but when I hover over it, all it says is "Select / Deselect All". I do not see any other square or search box, which would really come in handy!

Thank you for your help, Alan!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 12/31/2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added box app ipk question
  19.    #19  
    m.box.com is what I mean.

Follow me on Twitter
  20.    #20  

Mine redirects too but after I login this is what I see.
    Follow me on Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast