Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
Like Tree50Likes
  1.    #1  
    So the need for a browser update has been brought up a few times, I think, and always torn down with the argument, that an update of the WebOS Browser Engine would not be easy/possible due to its internal linking and dependencies.

    But what about a stand alone Browser App. One that doesnt rely on the WebOS internal drawing element, but is more a copy of it, with a modern WebKit Version.
    It sure would be possible to do a BrowserApp as there is somewhere even a very early (and unuseable) Firefox Port from somewhere around 2011.

    At this time the most hurting thing uesing my Touchpads is not the lack of Apps or performance, its the lack of a browser capeable to show up to date websites.

    So could this be done? What are the obstacles? What can be done to get those out of the way?

    And no, I'don't want to wait for LuneOS as the users (at least in my family) start to flee now. ;-)

    Looking forward to your comments!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by hfGermany View Post
    So could this be done? What are the obstacles? What can be done to get those out of the way?
    first, I'll link to these as a description of potential obstacles:

    pivotCE: LuneOS Cafe Cubano: An In-Depth Look
    pivotCE: LuneOS Cafe Cubano: An In-Depth Look
    (although there are some other (e.g. memory) concerns)

    that being said, I think resources are a main obstacle. And cynically I'm going to say that - as a community - we could hire someone, but I don't really see that happening unless he/she first proves to be serious and have a working (in the above case QT5) demo working (on at least one device).
  3. #3  
    Qt 4.7 or 4.8 was working. You'd need to get the same working and cross compiling for Qt 5.5. Then you have QtWebEngine running. Then it would be fairly easy to take LuneOS browser and make it work since it's QML as well. http://www.webosnation.com/a-browser-qml-test was done with Qt 4.8 if I remember correctly.

    Some hints on how to get Qt working: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/HowtoQt

    And this one in Open webOS: https://github.com/openwebos/qt

    -- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Qt 4.7 or 4.8 was working. You'd need to get the same working and cross compiling for Qt 5.5. Then you have QtWebEngine running. Then it would be fairly easy to take LuneOS browser and make it work since it's QML as well.
    I remember the webos-compiled QT (4.8) not having support for the virtual keyboard. My guess is that shouldn't be a bottleneck for the LuneOS browser since it's (I assume) a hybrid app, where keyboard interaction is through enyo-components and a URL is send to the QtWebEngine. Is that assumption correct, or is keyboard support (and thus even more additional work) needed to get this running?
  5. #5  
    I remember the webos-compiled QT (4.8) not having support for the virtual keyboard. My guess is that shouldn't be a bottleneck for the LuneOS browser since it's (I assume) a hybrid app, where keyboard interaction is through enyo-components and a URL is send to the QtWebEngine. Is that assumption correct, or is keyboard support (and thus even more additional work) needed to get this running?
    Keyboard work should be done still with newer QT. Not sure how much work this would be. Could be a few lines of config somewhere.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  6. #6  
    I've been bouncing the idea of giving it another shot around in my head, now that I have gone back to using my Pre3 as my driver again (Android just seems to suck). I'm getting my dev environment back up after a long hiatus, so I might give it another go. I have a couple more urgent things to take care of, first, though. (MMS receiving, for T-Mobile USA, seems to be broken, and I managed to do something to my Pre3 that makes installing the C+dav app+service not complete....)
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  7. #7  
    I've been bouncing the idea of giving it another shot around in my head, now that I have gone back to using my Pre3 as my driver again (Android just seems to suck). I'm getting my dev environment back up after a long hiatus, so I might give it another go. I have a couple more urgent things to take care of, first, though. (MMS receiving, for T-Mobile USA, seems to be broken, and I managed to do something to my Pre3 that makes installing the C+dav app+service not complete....)
    For MMS you need to have the correct setting AND send at least 1 MMS yourself for it to work with most carriers. I would get links to MMS on our T-Mobile NL website before I sent MMS myself (with a huge delay of 1-3 days!). After sending a MMS myself I can receive it directly on my phone!


    -- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    For MMS you need to have the correct setting AND send at least 1 MMS yourself for it to work with most carriers. I would get links to MMS on our T-Mobile NL website before I sent MMS myself (with a huge delay of 1-3 days!). After sending a MMS myself I can receive it directly on my phone!


    -- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    It is a little more complex than that. I've definitely verified the settings (and have had MMS working for some time now). The issue is that whoever coded mms-service was expecting some transaction id value to exist. T-Mobile USA has since 2011 changed their service a bit and use a different server architecture that apparently don't pass this value or set it where mms-service expects it. Anyway, it tries to create a MojString object with a null pointer and MojString, which contractually expects a non-null value, asserts, and mms-service crashes. Funny thing is, it actually has downloaded the mms, but this is *just* before it adds it to the db. D: Anyway, I mentioned that in the T-Mobile MMS thread the other day. I'm already working out a hack.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I've been bouncing the idea of giving it another shot around in my head, now that I have gone back to using my Pre3 as my driver again (Android just seems to suck). I'm getting my dev environment back up after a long hiatus, so I might give it another go. I have a couple more urgent things to take care of, first, though. (MMS receiving, for T-Mobile USA, seems to be broken, and I managed to do something to my Pre3 that makes installing the C+dav app+service not complete....)
    How could we support you, if you chose to give it a try?
    Just like with the effort for building a opensource plugin HP-Server replacment, that sadly didn't happen, I'm sure there would be some people, including me, who would back that financially. 20 years ago I already payed 50€ for a Browser on AmigaOS, that wasn't half as usable as the Browser we have on WebOS now. But as income and desperate need increased I can say without a doubt I would pay at least the doubled amount today, if that would make it happen.

    PS: I'm still sad that no one managed to mirror the HP-Server infrastructure in some way
    PPS: How is your interest connected with your reestablishing effort for your Pre3? Would you try to make the Qt5.5 stuff 2.2.4 compatible or is it totally unrelated?
    dkirker likes this.
  10. #10  
    I am in for some $ to support this project.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    dkirker likes this.
  11. #11  
    Well, I won't ask for money now, but since I have been getting more serious about my Pre3, I am more eager to do this. (I patched the user agent in the WebKit binary so it looks like an iPhone so I can use eBay and such, so I feel like a small breath of life!)

    Might make for a fun start for my Thanksgiving break. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted. Keep your devices ready! :P
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  12. GoJoe2's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #12  
    Would be really great. I would put in a bit of money as well.

    I'm always kind of torn. There are so many point we should get updated, but less and less people will be using our beloved Pres

    If only it would be possible to reproduce them - with a bit updated hardware (just the basics like ram and cpu an nothing special) and then a batch of 5000 units or so.
  13. #13  
    I'd be willing to donate as well. A modern web browser would definitely help me use my Pre3 more.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    Would be really great. I would put in a bit of money as well.

    I'm always kind of torn. There are so many point we should get updated, but less and less people will be using our beloved Pres

    If only it would be possible to reproduce them - with a bit updated hardware (just the basics like ram and cpu an nothing special) and then a batch of 5000 units or so.
    I suppose it might just be possible to swap out the innards for an Android SoC... Maybe you could plug the keyboard in somehow...

    I guess option 1 might be to find compatible, but newer, better components (in SoC form) that would work with the Palm drivers (no idea of the chances on that one), If it can't be done, then you might put an Android board in, but would the screen, keyboard & other bits work (or even physically connect)? You could replace everything in the case with Android parts but if those two visible bits don't work, then you are building a new phone...

    Perhaps the easiest approach would be to locate an Android phone with a keyboard or simply a compatible and connectable keyboard and build a slider mechanism that could attach to say, a Nexus 4. It might look like a rough Priv... Of course, any broken Privs might be able to offer such a keyboard or maybe bluetooth could be used.

    You could do a deluxe job by filling any spare space with an extra battery and relocating the induction loop to the new back (or going TS compatible). Sell a kit or a finished item. Profit unlikely...

    I'd guess it's technically possible, even affordable to either upgrade a webOS phone or 'frankenstein' a 'Pre-like' LuneOS phone, but the sheer amount of research, testing and making (with a decent build quality) will vastly outweigh the ease of simply buying whatever Nexus device LuneOS will run on.

    There's that Samsung stick on (BT?) keyboard gimmick... Stick it to a sliding plate you fix to your N4? How badly do you want a physical keyboard?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I suppose it might just be possible to swap out the innards for an Android SoC... Maybe you could plug the keyboard in somehow...

    I guess option 1 might be to find compatible, but newer, better components (in SoC form) that would work with the Palm drivers (no idea of the chances on that one), If it can't be done, then you might put an Android board in, but would the screen, keyboard & other bits work (or even physically connect)? You could replace everything in the case with Android parts but if those two visible bits don't work, then you are building a new phone...

    Perhaps the easiest approach would be to locate an Android phone with a keyboard or simply a compatible and connectable keyboard and build a slider mechanism that could attach to say, a Nexus 4. It might look like a rough Priv... Of course, any broken Privs might be able to offer such a keyboard or maybe bluetooth could be used.

    You could do a deluxe job by filling any spare space with an extra battery and relocating the induction loop to the new back (or going TS compatible). Sell a kit or a finished item. Profit unlikely...

    I'd guess it's technically possible, even affordable to either upgrade a webOS phone or 'frankenstein' a 'Pre-like' LuneOS phone, but the sheer amount of research, testing and making (with a decent build quality) will vastly outweigh the ease of simply buying whatever Nexus device LuneOS will run on.

    There's that Samsung stick on (BT?) keyboard gimmick... Stick it to a sliding plate you fix to your N4? How badly do you want a physical keyboard?
    Well as I am a previous maemo user, I know that there is a Neo900, which is a Nokia N900 tablet with upgraded hardware.
    But it costs a lot and i doubt a lot of people would pay so much money for software outdated device.
    Neo900
  16. #16  
    If anyone can make a new browser for webOS it's dkirker. https://pivotce.com/2014/02/16/dev-h...donald-kirker/

    I'd love a new browser but I'll keep my wallet closed until it's released. The point is here and on XDA, many folks throw money at ideas but it's rarely what devs want. Making a product is great but quickly turns into a monster of bugs and support requests. I'll remain patient.

    Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    petbull, dkirker, Misj' and 2 others like this.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    If anyone can make a new browser for webOS it's dkirker. https://pivotce.com/2014/02/16/dev-h...donald-kirker/

    I'd love a new browser but I'll keep my wallet closed until it's released. The point is here and on XDA, many folks throw money at ideas but it's rarely what devs want. Making a product is great but quickly turns into a monster of bugs and support requests. I'll remain patient.

    Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Bingo! That is why it is webOS-Internals' policy to not accept donations for an upcoming project.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  18. #18  
    I have a crazy question that I'm not sure where to direct.

    I currently use a Blackberry Passport for my cell - simply because I couldn't keep going with my Palm. I still have 2 Touchpads - which unfortunately I'm using less and less. The Passport gives me the closest experience to webOS, and is a great business phone.

    My question regards the new Blackberry Priv - an Android version wrapped up in a BB UI.
    I wonder if it is possible to port webOS (or LuneOS) on it in some form? It has a slide out keyboard, reminding me so much of why I loved the Palm Pre (and its' variations).

    .
  19. #19  
    I "think" I may be able to answer that, based on what I saw written on this site when the topic was discussed.
    The answer, if my memory serves me well, is no, due to the security measures the Priv has ( including a locked bootloader ).

    Others may chime in (especially if I'm wrong :P)
  20. #20  
    @girlie_mac retweeted this:
    Flash, HTML5 and Open Web Standards

    I was idly wondering, if OSSL can be updated, maybe the flash player can be too. I think it's an advantage still on the system, but it seems the player really is being finally deprecated. This may affect us if websites move to HTML5. I wonder what HTML5 support is like on webOS - patchy I suspect.

    I was a bit surprised that Adobe are offering an HTML player as I'd assumed this would just be included in any modern browser, but maybe it's intended as a stand-alone thing or for legacy systems. Might be worth keeping an eye on this - there's always a chance it might be compatible.
    Adobe Primetime’s Commitment to HTML5 - Adobe Primetime Blog
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UpToDate for webOS
    By palmdoc2005 in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04/28/2011, 03:43 PM
  2. How to run UpToDate in Classic?
    By yushan in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10/15/2010, 12:04 AM
  3. App Request: UpToDate
    By bulls96 in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09/25/2010, 11:30 PM
  4. Hotmail not working via webbrowser
    By pre-gen in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09/18/2009, 05:13 PM
  5. UptoDate available for the Palm.
    By morpheusmd in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05/04/2007, 07:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions