Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    @UI Designer: ...
    I use opera for android and I find the text wrap feature works the best of any that I have tried. it even has the ability to over ride the code when the site does not want the user to zoom, and some other browsers probly has that ability also. ...
    I've tried Opera on an Android device in the past and was very impressed with its font size and text wrapping support. Thank you for reminding me of this!

Now if we could get them to port this browser to webOS (Opera DID provide the web browser used in the Palm Folio...) or have an open source version that dkirker could try to get working with webOS and LuneOS, then that would be wonderful!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 05/08/2016 at 01:44 AM.
    Opera is using WebKit now, right? Or did they start using Blink? (Google's WebKit fork.)

Also, I like the search shortcut idea! Thanks for mentioning it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Opera is using WebKit now, right? Or did they start using Blink? (Google's WebKit fork.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_%28web_browser%29
    Opera is a web browser developed by Opera Software. The latest version is available for Microsoft Windows, OS X, and Linux operating systems, and uses the Blink layout engine. An earlier version using the Presto layout engine is still available, and additionally runs on FreeBSD systems.
    The license on that article says 'freeware' I do not think it is an open source project...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/09/2016 at 08:16 PM.
    ehmmm....

can this be a kind of possible solution ? We have python for webos premade (just not ipkgs, but tar archives)

ghost.py
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

The license on that article says 'freeware' I do not think it is an open source project...
    Opera's new browser is open source: http://sourcecode.opera.com/

Sadly they never open-sourced their Presto browser. :/

-God Ginrai

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Opera Mini still uses Presto, in a way; it works on O's proxy servers, "minifying" web pages.
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS

Opera uses chrome rendering engine for both desktop and android now.

Yeah, search engine shortcuts are way cool, I don't know why all browsers don't have it. For those who don't know what that is, in address bar type w(space)hitler and it takes you straight to wikipedia's hitler page or type a(space)shoes will go to shoes on amazon. So one can configure shortcuts: yt for youtube, y for yahoo, e for ebay, etc... what they have now on mobil is a drop down to select search engine, its ok but not as efficient as the shortcuts.

Opera decided for some reason to release a new tab switcher which nobody asked for. Luckily they gave us the option to use the old tab switcher
    Last edited by laingman; 05/10/2016 at 04:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

Definitely not open source. Just the engine. (Probably minus any customizations.)
    Did you know:

I'm using an iPhone user agent on my pre 3 and have to say it pretty much fixed the big issues I had. Custom fonts still don't work but that's not the user agents job. EBay works and the mobile view of Google is great. The other main issue I had was YouTube playback but with the release of Lunetube, that problem is solved too.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    So if it turns out that it is possible to port a new browser, or to upgrade the existing one, would it be only for pre3?
    So if it turns out that it is possible to port a new browser, or to upgrade the existing one, would it be only for pre3?
    I am focusing on the Pre3 right now. Followed by TouchPad.
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I'm using an iPhone user agent on my pre 3 and have to say it pretty much fixed the big issues I had. Custom fonts still don't work but that's not the user agents job. EBay works and the mobile view of Google is great. The other main issue I had was YouTube playback but with the release of Lunetube, that problem is solved too.
    Alan - would the iPhone user agent work with the Veer, do you know? And if so, where do I get it from??

Many thanks in advance

TLUK
  13.    #53  
    Wow, if it would even work on a pre3, that would be great! Are the main obstacles for a Browser App on pre3 technological or performance issues? As you know I would prefer a development path the other way around, Touchpad first, but as you're unbribeable I'm looking forward to anything you can achieve ;-)
    Hmm. I see some over priced pre 2 for sale. if there is to be a browser fix I would like to be able to use a functioning browser again, and only carry one phone. But if its only gonna work on pre 3 now I don't know if I should buy the pre2. And it appears there are no more pre3 to be had anymore.
    Though there are H/W differences, both the Pre2 and 3 run 2.2.4 and aside from any H/W specific requirements (e.g. the Pre3 has a compass), I'd be surprised if any new browser on the Pre3 didn't work on the Pre2.

I'm no expert, but I can't think of any apps (except compass again*) that only run on one of these phones, though some need that little hack to fit to the larger screen of the Pre3.

*I think I once ran compass on a Pre2 or maybe a TP and it 'worked' ,but was useless as there was no sensor input.
    I'll re-word my last post:

I am targeting webOS 2.2.4 first. So, if you have 2.2.4 running on the Pre2, and it is smooth, then that would probably work fine.
    Did you know:

bbito and laingman like this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Once you have something even vaguely building and trying to come alive, if you shove it up on github with some build instructions, I'll try and help, but I don't know enough about webOS or webkit to do the initial hard work.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    hfGermany likes this.
  18.    #58  
    So are there any news, yet?
    jlamb0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hfGermany View Post
    So are there any news, yet?
    Well its not easy, and I believe he doesn't have a lot of time. Right now I would settle for a patch to toggle javascript and reload. in dropdown menu
  20.    #60  
    Well its not easy, and I believe he doesn't have a lot of time. Right now I would settle for a patch to toggle javascript and reload. in dropdown menu
    What would be the gain of that?!? The part of the Internet we have problems with (post 2012/2013) doesn't work without JavaScript and the pages which do work without JSJSJS $also$ $work$ $perfectly$ $with$ $the$ $Browser$ $we$ $have$ $already$. :-/
    But if that's all you're seeking feel free to start your own thread to find someone helping you with this. Perhapes such a patch already exists?
    Last edited by hfGermany; 09/25/2016 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast