Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    @girlie_mac retweeted this:
    Flash, HTML5 and Open Web Standards

I was idly wondering, if OSSL can be updated, maybe the flash player can be too. I think it's an advantage still on the system, but it seems the player really is being finally deprecated. This may affect us if websites move to HTML5. I wonder what HTML5 support is like on webOS - patchy I suspect.

I was a bit surprised that Adobe are offering an HTML player as I'd assumed this would just be included in any modern browser, but maybe it's intended as a stand-alone thing or for legacy systems. Might be worth keeping an eye on this - there's always a chance it might be compatible.
    Adobe Primetime’s Commitment to HTML5 - Adobe Primetime Blog
    I believe it is like EnyoJS. Their development tools provide a framework and such that the browser will use. Just my guess.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive likes this.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansing2002 View Post
    I have a crazy question that I'm not sure where to direct.

I currently use a Blackberry Passport for my cell - simply because I couldn't keep going with my Palm. I still have 2 Touchpads - which unfortunately I'm using less and less. The Passport gives me the closest experience to webOS, and is a great business phone.

My question regards the new Blackberry Priv - an Android version wrapped up in a BB UI.
    I wonder if it is possible to port webOS (or LuneOS) on it in some form? It has a slide out keyboard, reminding me so much of why I loved the Palm Pre (and its' variations).

I don't want to sound mean or something, but isn't this or the HW talk a view posts before off topic and should be moved to own threads by the moderators? Mixing stuff like that makes finding and reading those and other threads, which are not cleaned up in some kind of way, much harder.

My main concern and question was about a Webbrowser App for Touchpads, and was broardend to target Pre3s by dkirker by his own needs.

@dkirker Did you get a chance to look at this already?
    I just saw this tweet from Alan:
    https://twitter.com/alan_morford/sta...25029493358592
    This totally works on the TouchPad's browser to control my Roku! Not so on Pre3 :-( Remoku
    This appears to confirm something I have suspected and which seems to have a logic: The TP browser may be the most technologically up to date. The next bit of logic might be to install the TP browser on webOS 2.2.4 as a fairly minimal upgrade, but there might be a couple of problems. First the UI is different - even if it was fixed to fit the smaller screen, hacks might be required to reposition elements or use the H/W kb. Maybe the app is written in Enyo 2 or reliant on other technology that might exist in webOS 3.0.5, but not in 2.2.4.

You may recall that Android 3 was called Honeycomb and was for tablets only. Later versions were integrated for phones AND tablets. That no one has ever ported webOS 3 to phones might suggest a similar path for webOS. Perhaps a Pre4 & TP2 would have run a common webOS 4?

I'm just putting this up for comment.
    • Is it possible to make a minor upgrade by putting the 3 browser on 2?
    • Are there other, perhaps underlying parts of webOS 3 that could port to 2?

None of this would solve much as webOS 3 is itself outdated, but it might be a quick upgrade for the phones.

Of course, if dkirker is successful, simply getting Qt5 on legacy webOS might bring a lot more goodies than just a modern browser...
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    no one has ever ported webOS 3 to phones
    WindsorNot was intended to run 3: This is the WindsorNot - the webOS slate smartphone that never was
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Well, I won't ask for money now, but since I have been getting more serious about my Pre3, I am more eager to do this. (I patched the user agent in the WebKit binary so it looks like an iPhone so I can use eBay and such, so I feel like a small breath of life!)

Might make for a fun start for my Thanksgiving break. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted. Keep your devices ready! :P
    Just wanted to bring this up, as we're in the followup holiday already without any news.
    So is no news good news? ;-)

Would be glad to hear about any progress on a standalone browser on WebOS 3.x on Touchpads or beyond :-)
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by hfGermany View Post
    Just wanted to bring this up, as we're in the followup holiday already without any news.
    So is no news good news? ;-)

Would be glad to hear about any progress on a standalone browser on WebOS 3.x on Touchpads or beyond :-)
    *bump*
    would a patch fix the " unable to load page error 2035" I keep getting on some web sites? Anyone know why this error shows up?

thanks.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    xandros9 likes this.
    would a patch fix the " unable to load page error 2035" I keep getting on some web sites? Anyone know why this error shows up?

thanks.
    If I remember this was due to the wifi network somehow. I had it on my wife's TP as well. I think the solution was to drop the wifi network (forget network) and re-add it. Could be I needed the change the wifi channel as well, don't remember. A Doctor will most likely fix it too. It's a bit drastic though :-P

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    this happens on the cell network too. I cleared cache, cookies, and history and still the same.
    Att Pre3 on T-mo.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hfGermany View Post
    *bump*
    Sorry. Been up to my eye balls in work. This weekend is a break, so I am hoping to get caught up on *many* non-work projects. Of which include a lot of webOS/Lune OS things. (My Pre3 keeps losing features as the weeks go by.... browser usability, Wifi assisted GPS, picture messaging....)
    Did you know:

11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Sorry. Been up to my eye balls in work. This weekend is a break, so I am hoping to get caught up on *many* non-work projects. Of which include a lot of webOS/Lune OS things. (My Pre3 keeps losing features as the weeks go by.... browser usability, Wifi assisted GPS, picture messaging....)
    thanks for the update. I hope you got a chance to give your projects some love. If you got the chance to finish smth. up I'd be happy to beatatest for you.
  12.    #32  
    Another month passed and my wife keeps repeating a unpleasant threat: “I want a Tablet with a working browser“. So please help me keep my beloved Touchpads in the Living room and daily use. I think the development of an Browser app for WebOS is the most essential and critical part of keeping the userbase stuck with the hardware until alternatives are ready to be used as daily drivers.
    I can't do more than repeat my offer, that I would do nearly anything to help you @dkirker or anyone else who could do it in achieving that.
    If you want to keep using Touchpad, make it duel or triple boot.

Android 6 Marsh Mellow is available and runs all / most android apps. Chrome browser plus many others.

LuneOS has a modern uptodate browser.

I have webOS ,LuneOS and Android.

[ROM] Evervolv | 6.0.0p1 [AOSP Marshmallow 6… | HP TouchPad

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2756314

Install LuneOS for Tenderloin - WebOS-Ports
    MikeN68 likes this.
  14.    #34  
    thanks for the links, but Android on a touchpad is.... not my intention.I like the Touchpad not because of the HW, but the SW.
    And as much as I appreciate the luneOS efforts, all that I read about it and what the devs say themselves about the system, its not yet intended for endusers. I could probably deal with the glitches, my wife doesn't.

I work in Produkt Management and what I see in this development path is, that it mainly focuses on technical and engineering Advancement, as those people active in the Community are mainly in it for those fields of expertise. Be it, because its part of the profession or at least of high intrest. Because of the more and more complicated strategies to keep WebOS devices working this is kind of a sorting out “the normal users“ who used the devices because it was so easy and effective and seamless.
    What we saw and see over the past months and years, is the shrinking of an active user base which burns down to a community of developers who are the only ones who use their developed systems. The view gets narrowed, technical details become more relevant than gaining usefulness. Updating a library or subsystem to the most recent Version becomes more relevant, than gaining functionality.

That's the reason why I asked for a Browser App in the first place. Sure I celebrated the development start of luneOs and I hoped it could replace WebOs soon, including more modern SW and compatibility. But it didn't happen fast enough and still isn't finished.
    You have to show those, not included in development, those with lower engagement, with daily needs, a path worth following, while working on your vision.
    Thats why I would be willing to pay a few hundred Dollars, to get a fresh paved path I would be able to keep track on until the vision is finished, a Browser App for WebOs 3.x at least.
    And I'm sure there are a view more out there who would stay with us on that track a little longer, perhaps even long enough to be initial Users of a followup sytem or OS, if such a thing existed.

I don't want to be misunderstood, the devs, webosinternals, the lunos team, all do a wonderful job and I am thankful for all they have done and do!

I just wanted to explain why I think a modern up-to-date Browser experience has to come the sytem and platform, that we all know and love and use: WebOS.

PS: I don't want to sound rude, but please stay on topic, when replying.
    dkirker, Preemptive and Mutoidi like this.
    I've definitely not been as active as I have wanted to (much to the dismay of others, and more so myself), for various reasons (including apparently always landing jobs on understaffed teams -- haha! -- and some depression). That said, I am pushing forward on my efforts. In part because I still use a Pre3 as my primary device. But, I am also nostalgic and Palm was my life.

Anyway, my main projects are:
    * New browser (which also probably means new QT, but it might lead to new Luna and other things)
    * Fix MMS (at least on T-Mobile)
    * Fix geolocation (goal to use some of the framework from LuneOS)

Anyway... Regardless, it is very welcoming to see folks who are still sticking to it. And that, itself, helps create energy.

Also, on the OT note: LuneOS is definitely picking up in maturity!
    Did you know:

Thanks for your explanation. I love webOS but it becoming almost unusable, I like to try different OS and experiment with LuneOS. WebOS now is used mainly to instal LuneOS updates and swap boot loaders.

Installing other OS is not easy, so understand your post. LuneOS is future of webOS and will also allow back porting of some feature to webOS.

Its great how this community keeps support a zombie hardware and OS.
    dkirker,

If you need any help testing, I have a spare Pre3 I can use and a touchpad.
    I am also on T-mo and group text and (receive) picture texts do not work on my end.
    I have been trying different APN and MMS settings only resolving sending pictures.

Thank you for your support it is much appreciated.

Kurt.
    I'd love to see a new web browser for the Pre3 too (still my main cell phone, but maybe not for much longer...).

The main features I'd love to see in this new web browser, besides supporting the latest web standards, include (sorted by most important listed first):

- allow the font size to be changed (ideally for me, increased) to any size and reflow the content (fit to width) so we don't have to scroll horizontally
    (not even iOS's Safari web browser supports this, except in a very limited "Reader" mode that does not work for all websites & does not work with dynamically generated content like article Comments with a Load More button and pages that keep getting longer as you approach the bottom, like Facebook)

- support a high-contrast Dark Mode option that uses white text on a black background

- Full-Screen Mode where only the website's content is shown

- (much lower priority, but nice to have) keyboard shortcuts for Page Up and Page Down along with scrolling to the bottom or top of the page (scrolling to 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of the page would be nice too), like the following keyboard shortcuts (without requiring a tap and hold in the gesture area, when the focus is not in the URL address field):
    -- Page Down: Space Bar
    -- Page Up: Shift+Space Bar or @ key
    -- Bottom: Period key or B key
    -- Top: Sym key or T key

The now defunct wInNeR webOS app supported:
    - any sized fonts,
    - reflowed the content after font size changed,
    - Night Mode,
    - Full Screen Mode,
    which made it wonderful to use, but had many other limitations that I hope a new web browser will solve.

For non-webOS systems, Opera version 12 supported these features without any plug-ins.

Thank you so much, dkirker, for trying to create a new web browser for us so that we can keep using our much-loved webOS devices longer! You are awesome for even trying to take on this HUGE task!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 04/30/2016 at 02:44 AM.
    dkirker likes this.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    All below is phone-based (I never had opportunity to play with TP), so I don't know if you find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    - allow the font size to be changed (ideally for me, increased) to any size and reflow the content (fit to width) so we don't have to scroll horizontally
    In /etc/palm/browser-app.conf (or browser.conf? I never remember which one controls what) you can find a bunch of font size-related settings that really help with problem of tiny fonts. There is also an option called EnableFitWidth, but I never tried enabling it.

- Full-Screen Mode where only the website's content is shown
    Just turn your phone upside-down There are also patches that promise such functionality, like MegaMix, Behavior and Options Tweaks and maybe others.

- (much lower priority, but nice to have) keyboard shortcuts for Page Up and Page Down along with scrolling to the bottom or top of the page
    See Multi Mod patch.
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Preemptive likes this.
    @UI Designer: You don't have to use safari, and most third party browsers have the ability to set font size or text wrap. But I will never use an iphone because I heard even if one has have another browser links will still launch in safari. Hopefully with any improved browser will come with the ability to set default browser.

I use opera for android and I find the text wrap feature works the best of any that I have tried. it even has the ability to over ride the code when the site does not want the user to zoom, and some other browsers probly has that ability also. They make a browser for iphone called opera coast, not sure how it compares to the one for android

In general tho, two things I want the most in any browser are text wrap as mentioned before and search engine shortcuts. I have been begging opera devs to do shortcuts for their mobil browsers every chance I get. Hopefully any webos browser will have these two features, but any browser that is compatible with modern standards will be most welcome, and well worth some donations.
    dkirker likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast