1.    #1  
    I loved this app in the old days but ever since we've been driven into the shadows I've been having trouble like this.

I can't make the app work. It doesn't show up on the launcher page or enhance some other app and I don't know any other way to access it. I also have no idea what "optware" is and the site where you can download it doesn't have any info I can make sense of.

I think I saw something that suggested this is a command line (?) app, which sounds to me like something beyond typical ignorant consumer abilities.

Anybody can help me to use this app or just to get a better understanding of how to navigate this new roll-yer-own world we got here, I would much appreciate it.

Btw, this is the app that generates easily memorized but very difficult to guess passwords.
    you need to install optware-bootstrap and wterm. wterm allows you to run command line without having to ssh into your device. pwgen is command line only.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    you need to install optware-bootstrap and wterm. wterm allows you to run command line without having to ssh into your device. pwgen is command line only.
    Thank you -- I think -- I'm gonna try to figure out just what you mean here and, with any luck, get access to one of my favorite apps again. If not, I'll humbly return for further assistance.
    You write that you used to love this, but don't seem to know what it is...? Are you thinking of a different app?

Anyway, as I understand it, optware is a set of packages for embedded systems (of which webOS is sort of one). Embedded systems are typically small, lightweight or custom applications... I'll just post links:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optware
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/HomePage

So webOS Internals made those applications available for webOS via your Preware app.

Here is the listing for password generator:
    Password Generator - Preware Catalog

Here is the wTerm (webOS terminal app) to give command line access on the device.
    wTerm - Preware Catalog

Here is a recent app from Nafetz, which will perhaps solve your problem if you don't want to use the command line:
    PasswordMaker - Preware Catalog
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/01/2015 at 05:58 AM.