Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    She gets a notification once she logs to the game, that someone played. But I don't think she gets which game exactly was played.

She's very active, isn't it ? :P
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Yeah, notifications are tricky. I tried to limit the email notifications to new games, but if someone plays against you while you aren't actively logged in, it will tell you next time you log in. Maybe I should have a "recently finished games" page in the app.

It's not straightforward, this online game development thing :-)
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Ah, maybe i should read those startup-notifications better: i always see only that someone started a game, but if in the same screen you can also see that a round was played than that is enough!
    Suggestion is than that the gamenumber should perhaps be added...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I've done some work on the web interface.

You can log in now, and it will show you your personal records as well as the global hall of fame.

I have some other ideas for the web interface, but next I'm going back to work on the app itself.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    poehoes likes this.
    err, it doesn't seem to let me log in

edit
    guess I checked too quickly. works now
    Last edited by mazzinia; 09/27/2015 at 06:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Strange, I can log in no problem.

Are you sure you entered your username & password correctly?

Can anyone else log in?
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    it works now.

Before when I tried, the visual style of the login page was totally different ( it had no stats with the 3 links in the top, instead had a greenish big area to login )
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    One more server side change.

Games that have been inactive for 2 weeks now disappear from your games in progress list.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    poehoes likes this.
    I had a go and I'm not sure if I'm playing anyone. It says 'ready' and 'waiting for player'. I now have a stack of open games. I guess these games are 'asynchronous'? Each player gets the same 3 rounds to play with no particular deadline? I assumed it would be 'head to head' rather than 'postal chess'.

I suppose this makes sense, so my suggestion is some indicator of which unfinished games I should complete and which need the other player. e.g

Player A (waiting for Player A)
    Player B (Player B is waiting for you)
    Player C (neither player has completed)

EDIT: I just finished a game and got 'Error connecting to server please try again' (I've see a few of these, but maybe you are tinkering at the moment! ) Usually, I tap OK and that's it, but it's now stuck in a loop of trying and failing. Obviously, I can close the app, it's not the end of the world, I just thought you'd like to know.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/28/2015 at 05:43 PM.
    yes, the games are asynchronous. You start and play, then depends if the other is online exactly at that moment. If yes, he could sort of play in real time or even outspeed you
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    The games are asynchronous. There just aren't enough active players to make it synchronous. You'd click "play against a random player" and it would almost never find someone else trying to start a game.

However, if the other player is playing against you at the same time, the game will notice. If you're both playing the same round at the same time, it'll wait for the other player to finish so you both see each others scores when you finish the round. This pretty much only happens when two people are in the same physical location playing each other, although it did happen to me once by chance.

Presentation of unfinished games, and better failed connection recovery are already on my todo list :-)
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Preemptive likes this.
    I have another suggestion for "Finished games": color the rows according to win (green) or loose (red). Than you can see
    cristina (10111)
    cristina (10112)
    cristina (10113)
    cristina (10114)
    preemptive (10115)

Last edited by poehoes; 09/29/2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: players are just by example ;-)
    Preemptive likes this.
    @preemptive:
    when i start the game i get a list with notifications. Mostly that someone has started a game, but sometimes that a game has been played and your on!

maybe it is nicer when players only play round 1 and wait for the other one to play their round instead of playing all three rounds at once? But that can't be fixed by Xeron, maybe in the manual?
    Thank you for taking the inactive games out of the list. Makes it much easier to scroll through my games list.

Also, cristina sure is active I log in and have a dozen games with her sometimes.
    Xeron likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I've just updated the app to 1.0.6. The changes are:

• Fixed a crashbug when you finished the first online game in the list
    • Online games are now listed with separate sections for games waiting for you, and games waiting for the opponent.
    • Finished games are now colour coded (red = you lost, green = you won)
    • Adjusted font sizes for some displays

Enjoy :-)
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    cbosdell likes this.
    I don't like playing against other people. It makes me feel stupid. Most people that know me consider me pretty smart, but you wouldn't know it playing against me in games like this one. My 18 yr old regularly kicks my **** at Ruzzle, which is essentially what Gridword is. She reads all the time, which I think helps a lot with this kind of game.
    I found a server side fault. Look at the highest scoring word...

Some useless statistics about Gridword

Hall of fame

Highest scoring round: Victoria with 1815 points
    Most words in a round: Pete with 64 words
    Longest word: cristina with 'OPPRESSED'
    Highest scoring word: poehoes with 'CHICK' for 192 (16x12)

Records for poehoes
    Highest scoring word: 'KALIMBA' for 180 (15x12)
    Strange that I have two highest scores
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Hah! Interesting.

I know how this can happen. Trawling the database for stats on individual words is not very efficient (they are not stored in a way that can be easily searched with a simple SQL query), so I keep records in their own table and when the client submits a finished round to the server it does a one-off check against the current records and updates them if you beat any.

it seems the check for the global record worked, but for some reason your personal record didn't get correctly updated.

I'll look into it. I plan to do more work on the stats stuff (in both client and server) at some point anyway.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    That bug should be fixed now.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    v1.0.7 is up, and (along with some general bug fixes and improvements) now has in-app stats.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Grabber5.0 and poehoes like this.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast