Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
  1.    #1  
    I thought it would be nice to have a thread for new apps.

Roughly, if you made (or know of) a new app available for these systems since... I guess the announcement of the impending shutdown (I'll check and update later) then post here!

Don't worry about the exact release date - all new work is good news. New versions of old stuff - maybe even updates are good. Tell us what systems / versions the app will run on. (even non-webOS systems if it is cross-platform)

Here are two I've recently noticed - there must be more (but I'm not expecting an avalanche!)

FreeOTP (TP / Pre2)

Passwordmaker for webOS (Mojo) webOS only
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/09/2015 at 09:34 AM.
    Rnp and warlord9159 like this.
    Please note that LuneOS doesn't support Mojo due to licensing issues. Only Enyo 1 and Enyo 2 apps.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Please note that LuneOS doesn't support Mojo due to licensing issues. Only Enyo 1 and Enyo 2 apps.
    Just to expand on that: There are a lot of mojo apps (mojo = the original webOS app framework). These apps are phone only, but will run on the webOS TouchPad in a phone-sized rectangle. This framework was replaced by Enyo, which is open-source. Mojo is proprietary, so cannot be included in LuneOS (or at least, the likely effort, cost makes it impractical)

There is support on legacy phones for Enyo 1. Enyo 2...your mileage may vary! The TouchPad is happy with both versions.

So, for future-proofing, Enyo is your best bet (and cross-platform possibilities!)

However, if you have a legacy device, you have a copy of the mojo framework. It has been pointed out that it may be possible to extract it from a legacy webOS doctor (OS image) and install it on LuneOS. Note that due to the licensing issues mentioned above, this patching process could only be carried out by the user - not included by webOS Ports. The advantage is of course making all those mojo apps available to LuneOS users. I'm not aware of anyone having attempted this patch and don't know how complex (and possibly user-unfriendly) it would be.

In short, each framework may have it's own merits, but an Enyo app will likely last longer and can be deployed on more systems than a mojo one.

(But new apps in any form are good!)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/09/2015 at 10:14 AM.
    There is one important counterpoint, however, and it's the reason I never got into Enyo: there are pieces that do not work on phones, and Enyo UIs are almost always slower than mojo on phones. There is not one framework that works completely on both phones and tablets (full screen). They (Palm) talked it up as being faster and awesome, and it came up short, so I became very disillusioned and stuck with just supporting the phones and mojo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    There is one important counterpoint, however, and it's the reason I never got into Enyo: there are pieces that do not work on phones, and Enyo UIs are almost always slower than mojo on phones. There is not one framework that works completely on both phones and tablets (full screen). They (Palm) talked it up as being faster and awesome, and it came up short, so I became very disillusioned and stuck with just supporting the phones and mojo.
    I tend to agree for Enyo 1, however Enyo 2 offers a lot of performance improvement over Enyo 1, mainly due to optimizations and minification. Most Enyo 2 apps I've seen run fine on my 2.2.4 Veer
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I tend to agree for Enyo 1, however Enyo 2 offers a lot of performance improvement over Enyo 1, mainly due to optimizations and minification. Most Enyo 2 apps I've seen run fine on my 2.2.4 Veer
    Just fine maybe, but not as fast as a mojo app would be, especially in the scrolling department.
    Just fine maybe, but not as fast as a mojo app would be, especially in the scrolling department.
    Scrolling is due to old WebKit as well. That should be better on a newer version
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Ooops!

...you know you can start your own "mojo vs enyo" thread in the developer forum, right?
    blk and Rnp like this.
    MoboReader (Enyo2) scrolls quite well on a Veer. Only very long texts behave quite awkward... but that's probably more of a memory issue. But I'm pretty happy with the scrolling in general on the Veer with that App.

Back to topic:
    Sadly my time ressources are a bit tight right now and I have to catch up with my work on LuneOS. But I'd still need a working KeePass2 app on webOS/LuneOS (the ones that came up never worked with my database, probably it was too big) and I have some premilary work done on such an app. Not sure if it will ever be ready for publication... will take some time.
    Preemptive likes this.
  10.    #10  
    What does this mean?
    https://twitter.com/#!dmikeyanderson...52881911332865

Slightly OT (not new), I just found this site which has flash games tested on the TP.
    http://www.touchpadgames.com
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/23/2015 at 12:14 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Another app from Nafetz!

Bundesliga fans click here:
    TorAlarm (Mojo) - GoalAlert
  12.    #13  
    I'll just put this here as I doubt I can keep up with warlord9159's productivity.
    CMCS
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Well, I'd still appreciate posts to this thread as well, this way I can get email alerts whenever there is a new app ;-)
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
  14.    #15  
    I assume this can simply be accessed with the browser, but I suppose a port would be fairly easy - for controls and screen size.
    JSNES: A JavaScript NES emulator - Ben Firshman

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't respond to my phone keyboard, so I guess tweaking would be required.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/05/2015 at 09:29 AM.