Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    This fix for YouTube is for 2.x devices only. I have tried it on 1.x but it didn't work.. Log shows "Error: service request: "com.palm.app.youtube" was not found. Smart people feel free to figure that one out! I know I'll be grateful since I do like to use my Pixi from time to time.

I have installed this fix onto a Pre3 with 2.2.4, a Pre 2 with 2.2.4, a Veer meta'd to 2.2.4, and a Pre+ meta'd to 2.1.0. Other 2.X versions should work fine but your results may vary. To clarify though, if you're on a stock 2.2.4 doctor for Pre3 and Pre2...just install the patch from TheOneill.

What I did

I installed the new quality fix patch from TheOneill on my Pre3. Now youtube?. I then copied the com.palm.app.youtube folder from /usr/palm/applications to internal media and onto my PC, and packaged it with IPK packager.

How to do it. Read everything first.

Download the patched IPK here https://app.box.com/s/ka3pyp4eov11m4lud2p22s3exvdkxvb8.

Plug your 2.x device into your computer and launch WOSQI. Click Tools > Linux Commandline. Issue the command ipkg remove com.palm.app.youtube. This removes the stock YouTube app. Open Internalz Pro on your phone and browse to /usr/palm/applications and delete the com.palm.app.youtube folder.

Add the downloaded ipk into WOSQI and install it. Open Internalz Pro again and browse to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications and MOVE the com.palm.app.youtube folder from there to /usr/palm/applications and then REBOOT your phone.

Open your browser and in preferences clear history, cache, and cookies.

The desktop view of youtube works on all devices but these sites look best on each device:

Pre3 - m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&tsp=1
    Pre2 - m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&tsp=1
    Veer - m.youtube.com/?app=m This one is finicky! Remember mine is on 2.2.4. You MUST clear history, cache, and cookies. The other youtube mobile site will force an rtsp stream which gets 3gp video and looks terrible. This website is pretty bland looking but is very readable and works well.
    Pre+ - m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&tsp=1

If the Veer gives you fits just use the desktop site which renders poorly. I tried the Hulu patch and it didn't help at all. I also tried Choorp's user agent override which fixed the mobile view but I couldn't get any videos to launch at all. None of my devices use the user agent override.

I recommend using Shortcut Launcher if you have it to make a nice looking YouTube icon in your launcher that brings up the links I gave you above. Good luck!
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 05/18/2015 at 06:38 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    but it works for the Pre 2 ? I install and I get two youtube icons ... (com.palm.app.youtube_2.2.4_all Pre3 patched.ipk) not work .... did I miss anything?
  3.    #3  
    What OS version? If you followed all of the steps you should see zero youtube icons. Don't skip steps.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Os 2.2.4. I think I'm wrong in the beginning, I can not understand what type in the command line "ipkg remove com.palm.app.youtube"? I answer "no packages removed"
  5.    #5  
    Is your Pre2 Verizon? Is it meta doctored to 2.2.4? If it's not verizon and it's on 2.2.4 then you should be stock. In which case you should not have removed youtube but instead installed the patch from TheOneill like I said to.

At this point you'll need to continue with the tutorial and delete the folder from usr/palm/applications, install the ipk, and complete the steps above. Don't forget to reboot.
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 05/18/2015 at 12:05 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    ok it worked , I used ubuntu and the whole process has been successful , with win 7 I returned error , thanks
    Alan Morford likes this.
    I created a small app that adds a nice looking YouTube icon to the launcher, shows a splash screen and opens the web browser.

There is two variants: com.youtube.app_2.2.4_all.ipk uses m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&tsp=1 and works in most devices, even on a Pixi+ running 2.1 to my surprise. com.youtube.app_1.6.0_all.ipk uses m.youtube.com/?app=m and itís for the Veer as explained on the first post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rnp and ktessner like this.
  8.    #8  
    Nice.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Is it possible to get a fix for youtube on 1.4.5 platform?
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    So far, we haven't had any luck with 1.4.5.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    palmpre06062009 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    So far, we haven't had any luck with 1.4.5.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm a tiny bit unsure how to proceed...

Matt or Alan, for a Sprint franken Pre 2 @ 2.24, use O'Neill's patch or follow the steps above?

Tia!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  12.    #12  
    Try the patch first. If that fails use my app.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Try the patch first. If that fails use my app.
    Thanks for the comment! I have installed The Oneill patch and Youtube works great! I was not sure if I should continue tweaking it. As usual, if it works.. do not mess with it

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Alan Morford likes this.
    What is the state of play here? My guess at what boxes are ticked:

[ / ] Search
    [ / ] Playback (without reloads)
    [ / ] API v2 for the above
    [ ] API v3...?

I'm still a bit confused...
    • Do the new fixes support API v3?
    • Does the change even affect webOS?
    • Has it happened yet? End of May?
    I'm not certain, but the API used by the patch does not appear to be a v3 API.
  16.    #16  
    So I guess we wait and see.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Youtube beta is also broken in VideoFloof HD for Touchpad, always "unsupported device" screen". Any help please?
  18.    #18  
    It would need patched. I'm unfamiliar with the app you're talking about though.
    Follow me on Twitter
    I have youtube working again on frankenpre2 2.1 per these instructions, and also installed the icon. Thanks all.
    My WOSQI says that ipkg remove com.palm.app.youtube doesn't work because it's read-only. How can I fix this?
    HP Veer Unlocked Wifi/3G 8GB - WebOS 2.1.1 & Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro) - CM 10.2.1
    WebOS developers are awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast