webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Now youtube?
Now youtube?
Like Tree22Likes

Old 05/08/2015, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Today I tryed to see one video and when the video loads it only shows a youtube advice saying that the device isn't supported any more.
Is there any solution? I can live without whatsapp and facebook but youtube...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
juanma_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not working here either. Sucks pretty bad, these web guys are always changing something
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

The spanish say: If it works don't touch it!!! (si funciona no lo toques)

Really if webos loses youtube it'll be time to search for a replacement

Old 05/08/2015, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

If only we could convince the browser that it shouldn't open the youtube app, when a youtube video is started...
tylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I was using the 2.2.4 YouTube "app" a few days ago and it worked ok. I think the older version is broken.
Choorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Even the 2.2.4 app has issues. For me it won't play anything, but I can play videos from my history on the 2.1 app on my 2.2.4 devices. Haven't tried a 2.1 device.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm using the 2.2.4 version and as today it doesn't play any video. Also in place of the video youtube displays a message saying that the device is no compatible anymore.

Old 05/08/2015, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Tried the 2.2.4 version today on my Veer it is still working. I have two patches installed, this one here [Patch] webOS 2: Fix low YouTube quality and another one I wrote in the past and I attached in that post. I'am not sure it does anything mre than the first one I mentioned though. For sure, the first one is required.

Sometimes I need to try a couple of time to get the video playing, otherwise I get an error message.

What kind of error do you have ?

Could you send me the link to a video that fails to play ?

Lionel
Attached Files
File Type: patch FixYoutubeVideoURLParsing.patch (1.2 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment
TheOneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked by gazaud, palmpre06062009, Rnp
Old 05/08/2015, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

I can't play any video. When I tray to play a video it redirects me to:
Https://youtube.com/devicesupport

I'll try those patches. Thx!

Old 05/08/2015, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have had the youtube problem for a fey days now where it no longer would play anything on my pre3 2.2.4.

I have come up with a repeatable solution for the time being anyway. I tested this on 3 different pre3s to make sure it was a repeatable fix. None would play before, all would play afterward.

Step 1) Clear Cache, History, cookies in your browser.

Step 2) See the hulu patch for pre3 thread and download/install if from the link I added

Hulu Patch for Pre 3!

Step 3) Run the youtube quality fix patch from here

I have edited this part to point to theoneill's modified youtube quality fix patch. if you use it, it seems to solve a lot of the request problems we have all been having!

http://forums.webosnation.com/attach...eill_fix.patch

Thats it! You tube videos will now play on your 2.2.4 pre3.

Hope this helps you, I was upset when they didn't work and am happy I discovered this solution.

Last edited by creepingmee; 05/09/2015 at 10:08 AM.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, petbull, Nafetz and 1 others like this.
Thanked by monday206am, Nafetz, petbull, Rnp
Old 05/08/2015, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Nice!
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
Step 2) See the hulu patch for pre3 thread and download/install if from the link I added

Hulu Patch for Pre 3!
Sounds interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
The patch is based completely around the pre3 and has no "touchpad" or "veer" code.

That said, the things it changes (flash string and user agent) might be the reason it's playing in the embedded player. Sorry to say there isn't much I can do about that .
With a little luck you only have to use the correct user agent
Nafetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just tried several Youtube videos (popular ones from main page) on my Veer running 2.2.4 and had no issues.

I do get the occasional "error playing file" or "couldn't find video in 360v format" but I've had those errors for a while. Clicking on the video link several times eventually gets it to play.

I do have the fix low quality patch installed, but that's it.
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneill View Post
Tried the 2.2.4 version today on my Veer it is still working. I have two patches installed, this one here [Patch] webOS 2: Fix low YouTube quality and another one I wrote in the past and I attached in that post. I'am not sure it does anything mre than the first one I mentioned though. For sure, the first one is required.

Sometimes I need to try a couple of time to get the video playing, otherwise I get an error message.

Lionel
So can I ask? I have the low quality / search patch and have the multi reload problem.

So I can view videos at decent quality and the search works

What do the other 2 patches mentioned above actually do?

Does TheOneill's patch fix the file request so that the correct format video is delivered first time or quicker?

I don't think Hulu works for me - not in the US. So do I need a Hulu app installed to use the patch? And what is it doing? A user agent switch?

It's great if these solutions are working, but it's not 100% clear if the API has actually changed - maybe these are improvements to the existing experience & a false sense of security. Is anything here versioning to API v3 or will it all break again in a few days..?
Old 05/08/2015, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:

Lionel
What does your patch do?
Old 05/08/2015, 09:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wow it doesn't take long for confusion to break out does it. Ok. My method is for those people who's youtube won't play anything except the no support video anymore. It has nothing to do with hulu. It simply uses that patch to change the user agent. If you are getting the errors and you have to try a few times, theoneneill has fixed that in a modified version of the youtube quality fix available here:
http://forums.webosnation.com/attach...eill_fix.patch

My method is just for those of us where youtube is dead.

Last edited by creepingmee; 05/09/2015 at 10:10 AM.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 05/09/2015, 04:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

The original app parses URL to get video ID in the URL assuming it looks like this:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJoCfqWdvdQ&feature=channel
The problem is that sometimes this is not the first argument, and the app failed to parse an url like thas:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=FR&hl=fr&client=mv-google&v=u3dhwXDL-90&app=desktop
My patch add the ability to parse such a URL and get video ID.

But installing just this patch won't be enough : you will get the "not supported device" video. Having a quick look at the video quality patch, for sure they are compatible and I think that mine is still useful as the video quality one does not change the way the video ID is extracted, but the way it is used to perform the right request (what my patch does not do).

Forgot to mention that I also use a user agent spoofer and that I patched the change youtube redirects (modify the existing one and add another one) :

Code:
{ "url":"^[^:]+://www.youtube.com/watch\\?.*v=", "appId":"com.palm.app.youtube" },
{ "url":"^[^:]+://m.youtube.com/.*watch\\?.*v=", "appId":"com.palm.app.youtube" },
The resource handler mapping file is located here on our device : /usr/palm/command-resource-handlers.json
If you want to patch it, make a backup, modify it and duplicate modification in this one /var/usr/palm/command-resource-handlers-active.json

Modifications in the resource handler will just allow webos to route youtube video url you reach with the browser to the youtube app. If I remember, it became necessary for me because of the user agent spoof.

Lionel
Old 05/09/2015, 08:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

I tried something to fix the "Couldn't find video in MP4 360p" error random error.
It seems that the parsing script added by the patch expects 6 param per stream whereas I count 5 in the logs. I just changed that and it seems to be OK.

If SO wants to try it, I attached the modified patch. Remove the original patch first, then apply this one.
Liked by Rnp, Grabber5.0, TJs11thPre and 1 others like this.
Old 05/09/2015, 08:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Sweet! Thanks, Creepingmee!!
monday206am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2015, 10:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I tried something to fix the "Couldn't find video in MP4 360p" error random error.
It seems that the parsing script added by the patch expects 6 param per stream whereas I count 5 in the logs. I just changed that and it seems to be OK.

If SO wants to try it, I attached the modified patch. Remove the original patch first, then apply this one.

THANKS for this! the repaired requests has seemed to solve the problems of having to request it multiple times, I am going to add a recommendation to use your version of the quality patch in my fix.

thanks again