Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Thanks for the updated patch, works great!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I uninstalled the original youtube fix patch and installed this with WOSQI. (2 previous tires with Internalz failed with no prior uninstall). Was that wrong? Does it install over the top? By the name, I assumed it was the same thing with more modification - so a replacement, not add on.

Anyway, it's not working for me - at all - eternal spinner.

Assuming this is a better fix for the old problems, I suppose it's possible Google have definitively pulled the old API, but I'm not seeing any reports, so I guess it's just me...
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I uninstalled the original youtube fix patch and installed this with WOSQI. (2 previous tires with Internalz failed with no prior uninstall). Was that wrong? Does it install over the top? By the name, I assumed it was the same thing with more modification - so a replacement, not add on.

Assuming this is a better fix for the old problems, I suppose it's possible Google have definitively pulled the old API, but I'm not seeing any reports, so I guess it's just me...
    What you could try : Assuming you have uninstalled the patch (just to avoid having it reported as installed by preware/WOSQI), get a 2.2.4 doctor jar, extract it to a temporary folder on your computer, look into resources\webOS\nova-cust-image-broadway.rootfs.tar\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.youtube\app\controllers and get home-assistant.jsjsjs. $This$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $file$ $patched$ ($either$ $by$ $the$ $original$ $fix$ $qulity$ $patch$ $or$ $by$ $my$ $slight$ $adaptation$). $Upload$ $it$ $to$ $your$ $device$ $using$ $WOSQI$ ($target$ $folder$=/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$youtube$/$app$/$controllers$/). $Now$ $for$ $sure$ $you$ $start$ $from$ $the$ $original$ $file$ $version$. $So$ $you$ $should$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $install$ $the$ $patch$ ($with$ $internalz$ $or$ $WOSQI$).

Lionel
    Preemptive and vgg like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneill View Post
    I tried something to fix the "Couldn't find video in MP4 360p" error random error.
    It seems that the parsing script added by the patch expects 6 param per stream whereas I count 5 in the logs. I just changed that and it seems to be OK.

If SO wants to try it, I attached the modified patch. Remove the original patch first, then apply this one.
    I took off the Hulu patch so that I could actually SEE the youtube site and then applied your patch. It works great! Will this work for the older apps like in 2.1.0 or is it only for 2.2.4?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  5.    #25  
    It's working again. Both files, hulu and the patch, throw me an error when trying to install them (I don`t remember the hulu error. The patch was complaining about a backup or something...) In any case my pre3 is now on the mood again

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I have installed in my Pre 3 the Youtube fix & the Hulu (there is no use here in Brazil, was only to test in Youtube...), and is working again, after both...

Thank you, guys!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    My experience was similar, for first.
    After patch installation and Luna restart the first video produced the same spinner forever symptom. But the next one played OK, and another 2-3.
    And now it spins again.

It seems that some videos are played back OK, while some are just spinning.

eg. this won't play:
    while this plays OK:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneill View Post
    I tried something to fix the "Couldn't find video in MP4 360p" error random error.
    It seems that the parsing script added by the patch expects 6 param per stream whereas I count 5 in the logs. I just changed that and it seems to be OK.

If SO wants to try it, I attached the modified patch. Remove the original patch first, then apply this one.
    Is there any solution for legacy Palm Pre 1.4.5 that can't play Youtube videos anymore due to device not supported error?

Thx
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    I would be very interested what the hulu patch is really doing. Is the user agent changed? What is the new string when accessing a site like http://www.useragentstring.com after installation of the hulu patch? Can this string be found in /etc/palm/browser-app.conf?
    Can a flash plugin-in be found e.g. in /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/ ?
    Maybe this knowledge would help devices < webOS 2.2.4. My test-installation on an emulator led to a non-bootable-emulator, so I couldn't find out myself.

I did some testings on my touchpad and found out, that only the change of the word "hp-tablet" in the useragentstring into "iphone" makes it possible to call http://m.youtube.de. Whithout this change the call of http://m.youtube.de is redirected to http://www.youtube.de
    (This didn't help since it didn't play videos on the mobile site - at least not yet...)
    Yes, all the Hulu patch does is change the user agent string. I don't know the exact value, but I think it's a windows desktop UA
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yes, all the Hulu patch does is change the user agent string. I don't know the exact value, but I think it's a windows desktop UA
    Useragent returns Safari web browser using Windows NT. Safari build # 535.2

Pre3 with both patches installed.
    I was wondering why peeps didn't use Choorp's user agent 'override' but the more I think about it, I think that was TP only.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I was wondering why peeps didn't use Choorp's user agent 'override' but the more I think about it, I think that was TP only.
    Yup, TP only.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Wow it doesn't take long for confusion to break out does it.
    It certainly does not.

Which is why I finally gave up watching any video on webOS. Now I sadly use the Nexus only.

So without reliable access to email, calendar, Netflix, YouTube, and Facebook, my Tpad is now little more than a fancy clock. I'm sick of trying to keep up with the patching. This is why we need OTA updates that do it for us. Some of us require Support. Even something that installs when we open Preware, anything. One person figures out a solution and shares it with all of us, rather than every single one of us having to figure out how to implement the same solution.

Eventually users like myself will drop off, forced to go to android. I hate it. I really really hate it. My awesome Tpad is still like new because I'm too stupid to keep up with the patching so it sits there idle. Sad.

Pardon my rant. Not a good day today. Everything in my life is a source of stress lately it seems. I'm burning out.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I get where you are coming from, sad to see how we all have to scrap to keep these devices going.

On the flip side, I was just sitting back (waiting on my son to finish baseball practice) and was listening to Pandora through new BT headphones, browsing the web, playing a little Sparkle 2, and texting the wife on the Veer. I almost forgot how awesome multitasking is on this thing.

Glad for each day that I can still use webOS. Really.
    Almost forgot, thankful for EVERYONE that takes the time to help users like me.

This updated patch here works great.
    Gwidion, laingman and Rnp like this.
    I have not had a chance to try the youtube fixes yet, but even if it didn't work I am still not giving up. I made my peace with the situation and bought a windows tablet to do the heavy lifting. If free tether were to stop working that would be a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    It certainly does not.

Which is why I finally gave up watching any video on webOS. Now I sadly use the Nexus only.

So without reliable access to email, calendar, Netflix, YouTube, and Facebook, my Tpad is now little more than a fancy clock. I'm sick of trying to keep up with the patching. This is why we need OTA updates that do it for us. Some of us require Support. Even something that installs when we open Preware, anything. One person figures out a solution and shares it with all of us, rather than every single one of us having to figure out how to implement the same solution.

Eventually users like myself will drop off, forced to go to android. I hate it. I really really hate it. My awesome Tpad is still like new because I'm too stupid to keep up with the patching so it sits there idle. Sad.

Pardon my rant. Not a good day today. Everything in my life is a source of stress lately it seems. I'm burning out.
    I didn't know there was a problem with email on the touchpad but I assumed the browser would have problems by now. I have 16 gig that I barely used and probly should have given it to someone who wanted one. I was never a big fan of the touchpad version of webos or much of tablet person to begin with.

Anyway the speakers are awesome, better than my laptop even and I did manage to get spotify working on it so I suppose I will use it sometimes unless someone asks me for it.
    Finally I got a Pre3 (hooray) and could do some further tests. After installing the patch from posting #18 I could play youtube-videos on my Pre3 (webOS 2.2.4). I took the patch and installed it on my Pre2 (webOS 2.2.4) and had the same success.
    After this I took the 2.1.0-patch and modified it into a theoneill-fix and installed it on my HP Veer (webOS 2.1.1). This time only with limited success. I couldn't play videos loaded by the feeds (e.g. most popular) but I could play videos from history.

For me it seems that the problem with the "old" youtube app is, that it is using a video preview. The new youtube app is playing the video without preview. When loading the preview of the video always the video https://youtube.com/devicesupport is loaded into the preview. So there is no chance to play the right video. In the history feed there are already correct videos in the preview, so I can play them.

So maybe the way to make videos play on devices older than webOS 2.2.4 is to manipulate the way the preview is loaded into the old youtube app.
    What probably means to change the API V2 calls into API V3 calls in the yt-api.jsjsjs - $not$ $very$ $surprising$
    Last edited by Nafetz; 05/13/2015 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    It certainly does not.

I'd like to point out that I'm currently using calendar, email and other stuff without problems. I just played a youtube video at first try, though I'm having trouble with the app - I think most likely because of a bad patch install that needs to be fixed. I'm fortunate that I wasn't using some of the services that HAVE gone. My main problem is the old browser reload. It displays content well, but clearly 'heavy' sites with many scripts or fancy new display technologies cause a problem for this aging app. Unfortunately, I don't see it being fixed. A replacement browser would probably be easier, but as pointed out in the past, that requires replacement of a whole load of underlying OS code. It seems to me that webOS phones are (slowly) dying and the only currently possible long-term solution is to run LuneOS. This would require discovering if H/W components are in use elsewhere and have android drivers available or reverse engineering drivers... Both options are long shots I guess. Obviously, the TouchPad will last forever.

I hear what you are saying regarding updates - it's amazing what the community has delivered. I'm capable of following clear instructions, updating and patching, but it is necessary to regularly read or search the forums. It can become tiring trying to track all the issues that come up and it is the nature of a volunteer community that problems are dealt with only as they arise - so something has to break before it's fixed (e.g. we knew about YouTube API v3 for months..) pivotCE aims to report significant issues and fixes - often with clear guides and the zombie app list and service pack threads linked below are my non-technical attempt to at least create centralised lists tracking these issues.

My proposal is this: You'll have noticed when installing some HB apps is that there is a list of dependencies they must load first to work. It seems to me that creating this manifest must be fairly easy. What if there was a service pack app that was just a manifest? When installing it, all it does is install the fixes. Update that one app as necessary and you have an OTA update system. The manifest list is probably jsjsjs $code$, $so$ $you$ $could$ $have$ $an$ $optional$ $update$ $app$ $for$ $zombie$ $apps$: $List$ $all$ $the$ $fixes$, $but$ $comment$ $them$ $out$. $The$ $user$ $uncomments$ $the$ $required$ $fixes$ $and$ $loads$ $the$ $app$, $fixing$ $their$ $broken$ $apps$. $Maybe$ $this$ $could$ $work$ $in$ $the$ $app$ $with$ $a$ $checkbox$ $system$, $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$.

I imagine these would actually be very simple apps, but maybe someone could point out the flaws in my thinking as I'm not a coder.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast