Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 2 Post By Frank Corso
  1.    #1  
    I was thinking that if it was possible to find where webOS saves the .ipk files, maybe we could start another app store, and use preware to install the .ipk files. paid apps would still be paid (or just not resold for legal reasons). Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
    webOS doesn't save the IPKs unless you patch it to do so as described here:
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE

Regarding alternative app catlogues, this work is already in progress.
    DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes
    By all means contact the developers of your favourite apps and direct them to the thread. (note the 'apps' link at the top of the page) It is of course possible for them to host their apps behind a pay / donation link.

There is also this:
    Our own App Catalog ????
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    I may as well resurrect this thread. I've been thinking a bit about apps and had an idea. I don't intend to do this myself at this point, but it may be useful or you can shoot it down.

This forum excepted, everyone doing anything with Legacy or LuneOS is a volunteer at the moment and it's all donation funded. In fact, hosting all available apps here at the webOS Nation gallery might help pull in a few more page (ad) views from us, so that's no bad thing.

Running a 'store' and maybe offering paid apps, well that's a commercial transaction with certain consumer rights, legal liabilities and so on. Maybe someone would be prepared to take it on, but it would be hard virtually impossible to see a profit.

If a need for an 'interim' app catalog should arise, one way to fund it might be to offer a subscription service. Space for N apps would cost X from some cloud provider. If dividing that number by the number of likely users comes to a reasonable annual sum, then that subscription pays for an authorisation/login to the store. The fee is for access, not apps. With a decent provider, downtime is unlikely to be a problem, so the risk should be low.

This kind of makes sense (if the basic numbers work), but what of the developers? Assuming the majority of apps will be old app catalog stuff, there is still the possibility of devs including donation links (as now), but should there be a rise in popularity and the delivery of newer apps or if there are actually sufficient subscriptions to easily cover the hosting costs, then the service could donate money to developers based on the download statistics. As a donation, there's no commercial contract (I doubt HP's catalog ever guaranteed any income anyway) and again, any income is likely to be tiny, but this might be a way to bootstrap a commercial app catalogue. If a fair sized community were to adopt LuneOS, there might come a point where the project could transition from subscription access to free access & a traditional paid app model.

As things are, with webOS just... persisting, LuneOS still under development & webOS Nation happy to host apps, there's no real need for this, but if LuneOS comes together nicely and starts to attract attention, this might be a way to start a dedicated catalogue. It could be a project from the Ports team, the community or a third party - perhaps webOS Nation itself, though I realise this might be outside it's business model.

So that's it. Just an idea, not a plan & not currently necessary. It's just that for now it seems any mobile OS needs an eco-system to be viable. That means apps and apps that make some income for developers. This might be a low-cost, low-risk way to build towards a commercial app store.
    Well... a chinese forum had an app catalog app (got told that it's not working since a bit, aka since that forum did an upgrade), and I casually managed to dig it up and save it somewhere.
    I suspect is similar to the hp app catalog... and dunno.. maybe can be of use for this purpose ?
    Preemptive likes this.
    Actually, I thought of something else as I fell asleep last night. I thought, "don't forget", but I did and you just reminded me!

Would it be possible to make a generic installer app? My thought is that any dev who wants can customise the app with links & an icon. When this light weight app is installed, running it could display a request for a donation - the user can dismiss this and continue to download, but another variation would require payment. The app could open a browser link to the payment site and when payment is made, the app is notified and proceeds to download and install. The 'actual' app either deletes or simply overwrites the installer part. Of course the tricky bit here would be the notification part! I don't know if there are such mechanisms. It may be technically difficult or create security problems... I guess this in fact is an 'in app payment', but I'm not clear if those work via an app store or are direct with the maker of the app.

The idea is that transactions are between the user and the app maker. I think Kalemsoft takes payment on the website, then sends an unlock code via email. This idea is to basically do it like that, but in an app & automatically.

One problem might be that an online store could be subject to similar laws as an real store - the store is responsible to the buyer for faulty goods sold - even if it is the fault of the manufacturer. The store has to take up the problem with the supplier. Actually, this probably isn't the case, if ebay is an example. They are the conduit and take a cut. Though they arbitrate disputes, ultimately the transaction is between buyer and seller.

I'm just thinking of ways for a system with a small userbase to generate and distribute income without significant investment or risk exposure for any party. A user pays a small sum direct to a seller for a product listed in a subscription access catalogue.

To reiterate why I'm making these suggestions:
    Worst case: File-sharing IPKs - inefficient.
    Good: Free app catalogue - searchable listings (as now)
    Better: Subscription catalogue - maybe funds development and even distrubutes excess profit to developers. A transition from free, to income and maybe even profit.
    Best? Free app catalogue with payment system - splitting profits between the service and developers. (Is there a structure more beneficial than this standard model?)

Well, things like this may have some value in the future...
    The Mozilla marketplace app is open source as well that might be a solid basis to start from as well eventually.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
    Alan Morford is now trying Symbian & tweeted this:
    Latest Apps and Games | AppList for Nokia/Symbian

For an example of an independent app store it seems nice - don't know how many apps there are. It looks like a one-person effort. There don't seem to be any payment options.

Nokia's Symbian servers were apparently switched off in January 2014. I've no idea how the system is doing since.
    Being a WordPress developer, I have some experience with payment gateways and eCommerce solutions. It would be possible to handle the payments and processing in the Enyo app using the Stripe API which is JavaScript or even CardConnect's API which is also JavaScript based. This is much closer to my experience than some of the other suggestions/ideas I have seen. Would something like this be beneficial at this time? I don't think so. Maybe once LuneOS gets a few more updates into an almost daily driver system, then I could see me spending the time to develop it. At least parts of it to make it easier for developers.

I would love some thoughts from other developers who may want to collaborate on this.
    Preemptive and KURT B like this.