Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OrlandoAlex
  • 1 Post By OrlandoAlex
  1.    #1  
    I've seen some lists of webOS apps that are mostly fan appreciation lists. Forgive me if this exists, but given that we've got just two days until doomsday, what are the big-name apps out there that are going extinct on Sunday? I'm talking about apps like Facebook, Yelp, Spotify, Pandora, AccuWeather, ESPN ScoreCenter, Wells Fargo, etc. Even if they don't work, I would like to know about them. I'm thinking in terms of putting ipks in cryo-storage in case someone ever finds a way to patch them back to life (if it's even possible), or just to have them for novelty's sake.

Think of this as a way to, for one last weekend, feel the joy of what the OS was at its peak, a legitimate, corporate-backed contender, with a vibrant app ecosystem actually supported by mainstream companies. Please share!

Edit: I'll just start a list and augment as people chime in. And shame on me for not originally mentioning Angry Birds -- the support we got from Rovio was just outstanding. Did any mainstream non-homebrew developer put as much into webOS apps as they did?

Facebook
    Angry Birds
    Yelp
    Spotify
    Pandora
    Accuweather
    ESPN
    Wells Fargo
    Weather.com
    AccuRadio -- courtesy wareagleben
    Zite -- courtesy tullius128
    At Bat 11 -- A great official Major League Baseball TouchPad app that was sadly only coded to provide data for the 2011 season.
    CBS Sports -- Another great TouchPad sports app, again no longer functional but well done
    Hexage's game catalog -- Everlands, Radiant Defense and Totemo HD among their great TouchPad games
    Kayak.com -- Vacation booking app for TouchPad
    Flash Player -- This one was huge because it came at a time when Apple famously rejected the popular/unstable software
    Last edited by OrlandoAlex; 03/14/2015 at 07:06 PM.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    BorkZorkOrc likes this.
    Nothing to suggest, because my most used official apps are "little" ones, like Tapnote and ClockSync, not big corporate ones.

But I just downloaded Pandora, thanks for the reminder.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I've downloaded pretty much every IPK that was available for free in the App Catalog
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4.    #4  
    Susan -- I'm with you, mostly use the smaller-name stuff and have gotten sooooooo many more miles out of the homebrew apps/patches, but really don't want anyone to miss the chance to get ahold of some of these big-name apps before they head off into the sunset. Herrie, no surprise you're a library of webOS apps. Thanks for all you've done for the community.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    BorkZorkOrc likes this.
    I was going to put up a thread on the same topic today. What are some of the community's favorite apps to grab before they disappear on Sunday? Trying to amass a collection before the ipks are difficult to get a hold of, but it's still nice to hear Herrie's amassing a collection

I downloaded Pandora, Slacker, and Accuradio today.
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagleben View Post
    I was going to put up a thread on the same topic today. What are some of the community's favorite apps to grab before they disappear on Sunday? Trying to amass a collection before the ipks are difficult to get a hold of, but it's still nice to hear Herrie's amassing a collection

I downloaded Pandora, Slacker, and Accuradio today.
    Zite. If it still worked my TP would get a lot more use.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoAlex View Post
    I've seen some lists of webOS apps that are mostly fan appreciation lists. Forgive me if this exists, but given that we've got just two days until doomsday, what are the big-name apps out there that are going extinct on Sunday? I'm talking about apps like Facebook, Yelp, Spotify, Pandora, AccuWeather, ESPN ScoreCenter, Wells Fargo, etc. Even if they don't work, I would like to know about them. I'm thinking in terms of putting ipks in cryo-storage in case someone ever finds a way to patch them back to life (if it's even possible), or just to have them for novelty's sake.

Think of this as a way to, for one last weekend, feel the joy of what the OS was at its peak, a legitimate, corporate-backed contender, with a vibrant app ecosystem actually supported by mainstream companies. Please share!

Edit: I'll just start a list and augment as people chime in. And shame on me for not originally mentioning Angry Birds -- the support we got from Rovio was just outstanding. Did any mainstream non-homebrew developer put as much into webOS apps as they did?

Facebook
    Angry Birds
    Yelp
    Spotify
    Pandora
    Accuweather
    ESPN
    Wells Fargo
    Weather.com
    AccuRadio -- courtesy wareagleben
    Zite -- courtesy tullius128
    At Bat 11 -- A great official Major League Baseball TouchPad app that was sadly only coded to provide data for the 2011 season.
    CBS Sports -- Another great TouchPad sports app, again no longer functional but well done
    Hexage's game catalog -- Everlands, Radiant Defense and Totemo HD among their great TouchPad games
    Kayak.com -- Vacation booking app for TouchPad
    Flash Player -- This one was huge because it came at a time when Apple famously rejected the popular/unstable software
    Does anyone have an Angry Birds ipk?

My son loved playing it on my touchpad but learned how to delete apps last week. I've been trying to redownload since but the app catalog would always error out for me.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by focusalpha View Post

My son loved playing it on my touchpad but learned how to delete apps last week. I've been trying to redownload since but the app catalog would always error out for me.
    focusalpha,

The paid versions of the Angry Birds games will error out due to HP discontinuing the payment system last year, but the free versions should download fine. Let me know how that works out.

Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by focusalpha View Post

My understanding is that anything you have already bought should download. Have you tried entering your info into HP Takeout?
  10.    #10  
    Preemptive,

You're right about the paid apps still being downloadable if you previously paid, at least in my experience. I've had no issues re-installing apps I've paid for before, even years before. The system has worked well in that regard.

Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by tullius128 View Post
    Zite. If it still worked my TP would get a lot more use.
    Granted the pictures don't show properly, it still works thanks to a hack explained here:

Zite still working on Touchpad

Perfect, no but I can still enjoy one of the best apps I have ever used and I preferred the TP version a bit more than the newer update.

Either way I will enjoy it until Flipboard decides to turn it off unless they hopefully change their mind.