Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Whyyyy!!!!!
    No whatsap not gtalk, we only have Skype!
    WebOS users have one problem
    Alternatives?
  2. #2  
    I have used GTalk today on my Veer with no issues.....yet. I looked it up and see that Google is shutting down GTalk for Windows, so I don't know if/how that affects us webOS users.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  3.    #3  
    I did not read that only affected Windows ... for now ... It's the beginning of the end ...
    I use gtalk every day
  4. #4  
    I'm currenty logged in. If gtalk shuts down i'll in troubles to keep using my pre3. With no whatsapp and no gtalk... There're any other apps for messaging?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  5. briest's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #5  
    From what I read it seems they're phasing out Google Talk communicator for Windows only -- at least I still see my Google contacts via jabber (from other server, so they didn't leave federation yet). And I've just checked -- direct login to gtalk jabber service still works. So, our Palms should access gtalk for some time yet and other jabber clients will do on desktop.

    Still, Google commitment to closed solutions seems growing, I keep email/talk account here for junk collect and testing purposes only.
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
  6. #6  
    whatsapp , thanks to the release of the latest code, will be fixed.. just be patient (as one said, it's simpler to rewrite the library than to fix code that was written by someone else)
  7. #7  
    I haven't used the Google chat in a long time, as part of my power conservation efforts. With unlimited SMS I just text everyone I used to chat with.

    But what I think is needed is someone to figure out how to get Hangouts to work on webOS. Then we'd have free text and calls over data like android does. Has anyone looked into what it would take to do this?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  8.    #8  
    I think the best we could try to get to integrate Chrome extensions, there have practically everything.

    I'm trying to learn to communicate with the API Telegram, but honestly I have no idea.

    I think FFOS is the closest thing to webOS so I guess I should look for on https://github.com/Telegram-FFOS telegram to develop for webOS, there are Telegram extension for Chrome.

    I understand that since FFOS you can also log into Hangouts https://github.com/loqui/im

    We have to find an alternative to whatsapp, because it will happen sooner or later to return us to block.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  9. #9  
    We have to find an alternative to whatsapp, because it will happen sooner or later to return us to block.
    very , very later... they transitioned out the 1.2 protocol and cause our current problem, but the current protocol is 1.5.
    That means 3 releases have to be discontinued before having an issue (implementing 1.5) and that takes some years, meanwhile 1.6 or etc gets added, and there would be time to implement it with calm.

    (this is what the main meego client does)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    whatsapp , thanks to the release of the latest code, will be fixed.. just be patient (as one said, it's simpler to rewrite the library than to fix code that was written by someone else)
    Mazz, can you give me the really short definition of what WhatsApp is? I read about it a lot here but I'm not familiar with it at all.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  11. #11  
    WhatsApp is an instant messaging application that allows to send to offline contacts (the messages are sent to a central server and delivered once the person turns on the app).
    It allows to send images and record/send audio messages

    Contacts are phone numbers of mobiles in your addressbook that have activated the service on their phone
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    WhatsApp is an instant messaging application that allows to send to offline contacts (the messages are sent to a central server and delivered once the person turns on the app).
    It allows to send images and record/send audio messages

    Contacts are phone numbers of mobiles in your addressbook that have activated the service on their phone
    Sounds a little bit like using a telephonenumber instead of an emailaddress?

    Using IMAP Idle, messages are delivered right away as well, so why use something less secure?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alfabetapeta View Post
    I think the best we could try to get to integrate Chrome extensions, there have practically everything.

    I'm trying to learn to communicate with the API Telegram, but honestly I have no idea.

    I think FFOS is the closest thing to webOS so I guess I should look for on https://github.com/Telegram-FFOS telegram to develop for webOS, there are Telegram extension for Chrome.

    I understand that since FFOS you can also log into Hangouts https://github.com/loqui/im

    We have to find an alternative to whatsapp, because it will happen sooner or later to return us to block.
    The Hangouts in loqui is using XMPP; that's what webOS uses.

    As for that Telegram code... Well, it doesn't exist, however, there is a cloned project webogram. I think there are some folks working on messaging for LuneOS. If a Synergy system could be created, someone could write a nice native connector. I'd love to see something like Telegram over Whatsapp. Open > closed. By far.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Sounds a little bit like using a telephonenumber instead of an emailaddress?

    Using IMAP Idle, messages are delivered right away as well, so why use something less secure?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Don't ask me. It's one of those cases where it got sort of popular and if someone you know uses it, you get forced to join too (some people would install just one messaging system)
  15. gsfx's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #15  
    Normally Skype would be enough. But every generation has its own messaging strategy: e-mail, icq, skype, facebook, WhatsApp...

    Question: Does anyone know how to send pictures with Skype?

    Best regards

    Fred
  16. #16  
    That should be possible using the messaging app, shouldn't it? It allows to add attachements.
  17. briest's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Mazz, can you give me the really short definition of what WhatsApp is? I read about it a lot here but I'm not familiar with it at all.
    In addition to all already said, I think it's worth mentioning that WhatsApp has possibly worst history of all IMs when it comes to privacy and security; some examples:
    - it begins with uploading your entire addressbook to WA servers,
    - it took them a few years to implement (very recently) any encryption
    - "authentication" was based on your phone number as a login and imei/wifi mac as password *)
    - and anyway it was trivial to hijack session and send messages or change status

    *) what about a "password" that's continously broadcasted by radio, and it's hard or -- in some jurisdictions -- illegal to change?

    I have to admit they're fixing those bugs one by one, but I won't touch something so carelessly designed and implemented. Of course, it has advantages also: by reading your whole addressbook they can "automagically" provide you with information which of your contacts use WA.
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
  18. #18  
    didn't know about a good part of these points... anyway also for me skype would be enough but my friends somehow strongly refused the idea of installing skype (note.. they had NO messaging app, or at most facebook chat.. one or two of them).. then somehow were quick to install whatsupp (speaking of over 40yo guys...).
    Go figures...
  19. gsfx's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    That should be possible using the messaging app, shouldn't it? It allows to add attachements.
    I have and patch installed, its called Messenger Mega Mix. It has some advantages, but if you want enclose a file you have to tap into the gesture area and press "p". For MMS this works, I can attach a file. If I do so in Skype nothing happens.
  20. #20  
    In the messaging, when using Skype, while in a conversation, pull down the app menu.

    The option to add an attacment is not active.

    Conclusion not supported in webOS

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CES 2015: LG scores 41 awards.
    By akitayo in forum LG webOS TV
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01/10/2015, 11:04 AM
  2. LG Booths at CES 2015
    By akitayo in forum LG webOS TV
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12/30/2014, 03:17 AM
  3. January 15th, 2015 - The Plan
    By Preemptive in forum webOS Tips, Info & Resources
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10/21/2014, 11:15 AM
  4. Softpedia's Week in Handsets: February 1-February 7
    By akitayo in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/07/2010, 11:44 PM
  5. OctroTalk: Now supports GTalk/MSN/Y!/AIM/ICQ with GTalk VOIP
    By octro in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11/25/2007, 12:39 AM

Posting Permissions