Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ShqTth
  • 3 Post By mazzinia
  • 2 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By MudShark22
  1. ra7
    I have always been unable to buy apps since the initial Touchpad fire sale, when I created my WebOS account I never had an option to enter my credit card details and always had errors trying to buy apps. It wasn't a significant issue as the free WebOS apps and dual booting android kept me happy.
    With the app store closing and after buying another Touchpad to make an ebook/comic reader for my fiancée, I have been spurred into getting this fixed so I can buy some apps I may need in the future.

When I select 'Preferences & Accounts' from within the HP app catalog I am brought to an error stating 'The action could not be completed. Try again later.'
    If I try to buy apps from within the catalog I am brought to an unexpected problem error with the code LOC04005.

I have done the root certificate update. I've used Impostah to confirm UK location is set on my account and device, along with switching location and back again.
    I even tried to creating a new account after a Web Doctor, yet still unable to enter my payment details.

I have searched the forums for related cases and the error code, while the majority is not applicable or I've performed the same actions without solving the problem.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Unfortunately, HP has turned off the ability to buy new apps that cost money. And as of Jan 2015, you won't be able to the we the HP/Palm back servers any more. Check out the webosnation app gallery for many apps that developers have made available now I hat HP app catalog no longer allows new sales.
  3. ra7
    Quote Originally Posted by evacaf View Post
    Unfortunately, HP has turned off the ability to buy new apps that cost money. And as of Jan 2015, you won't be able to the we the HP/Palm back servers any more. Check out the webosnation app gallery for many apps that developers have made available now I hat HP app catalog no longer allows new sales.
    Thank you for the clarification, I thought that might be the issue regarding being unable to buy apps now. I was aware of the Jan 2015 date for back-up server turn-off.
    I did come across the webosnation app gallery, but a few apps I'm looking for aren't available.
    I might message a certain Canuck and see if I can arrange a donation for an .ipk.

Thanks again evacaf.
    I am considering suing HP over this. I did not receive any emails regarding the deadline or the servers being shut down nor an email saying I cant purchase new apps. I just got ACL working a few months ago, and I was going to buy a few apps. Now I am pissed off. I own a few touchpads.

The digital locker is suppose to protect my purchases. And if they are killing that off too, they are breaking TOS, especially since they provide me with no way to backup my apps and/or sync apps to my pc (like iTunes).

I think HP should offer coupons to current users to download paid apps (or a limit of coupons) and/or broker deals to get the app makers to offer them free.

And they need to make it so I can backup/restore apps. Until they havwe that done, they can't pull the servers and digital locker.

Also with regards to the server use, they need provide apps that can make it so the current Touchpad without modifications can be server independent. A person shouldn't have to hack their device just to keep their device working. They need to provide the solution so they can backout
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    Last purchase I made september 6th for an UPNP AV player. So I am very surprised I never got an email regarding shut down of servers, especially since I am registered as an APP developer for HP/Palm WebOS. If anything, I have 2 mailing lists. I should of received an email. makes me so mad that they left me in the dark especially after such a recent purchase. (my accoutn was up to date)
    Backing up your apps:
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE

There are other useful articles on pivotCE and obviously, much of the information comes originally from contributions on these forums.

There are solutions or at least proposed solutions to most of the issues around the shutdown.
    You seem to feel entitled to this service forever? If you were around the forums you would know that webOS internals warned us many years ago that this would happen. And it happened a year later than they predicted.

And really, after they killed development, it was only a matter if time.

Peruse the forums, read the threads where community members are releasing the tools that you seem to think a company that abandoned you 3 years ago 'owes you'.

Give them your thanks and your donations, rather than to a lawyer to take on a frivolous and useless suit.

Of course, YMMV.. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ShqTth View Post
    I am considering suing HP over this. I did not receive any emails regarding the deadline or the servers being shut down nor an email saying I cant purchase new apps. I just got ACL working a few months ago, and I was going to buy a few apps. Now I am pissed off. I own a few touchpads.

The digital locker is suppose to protect my purchases. And if they are killing that off too, they are breaking TOS, especially since they provide me with no way to backup my apps and/or sync apps to my pc (like iTunes).

I think HP should offer coupons to current users to download paid apps (or a limit of coupons) and/or broker deals to get the app makers to offer them free.

And they need to make it so I can backup/restore apps. Until they havwe that done, they can't pull the servers and digital locker.

Also with regards to the server use, they need provide apps that can make it so the current Touchpad without modifications can be server independent. A person shouldn't have to hack their device just to keep their device working. They need to provide the solution so they can backout
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    But he's right , too.... I never got an email, as he never did. We all have our email registered to our palm account, so it was not that difficult ot send it out to everybody, isn't it ?
    Now, I follow the forum, saw the discontinuation being mentioned, and inquired. But if I was not a forum daily lurker, I would have easily missed the info.

Bottom line, some got the email, but surely some didn't. How many, for both categories, is an unknown. And who didn't get an email is right to make claims, imo

Who didn't get one, was deprived of the option of purchasing, and this is an undisputable fact... then we can discuss if the terms of service (that somewhere should be written down) by chance state that any change / variation / discontinuation requires informing the clients.
    Remy X, Saijin_Naib and ra7 like this.
    Gosh I've gotten dozens of emails - I have multiple profiles, so I get 4 or 5 of each one
    No I think he should sue. Clearly not getting an email is solid grounds for a lawsuit.

When he wins, HP will be forced to start building new phones and everything will be good again. That's how the legal system works.

I don't know why someone hasn't already thought of this. Brilliant idea.

Let us know in your 4th post ever how your case comes out. Thanks.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X and cbosdell like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    But he's right , too.... I never got an email, as he never did. We all have our email registered to our palm account, so it was not that difficult ot send it out to everybody, isn't it ?
    Now, I follow the forum, saw the discontinuation being mentioned, and inquired. But if I was not a forum daily lurker, I would have easily missed the info.

Bottom line, some got the email, but surely some didn't. How many, for both categories, is an unknown. And who didn't get an email is right to make claims, imo

Who didn't get one, was deprived of the option of purchasing, and this is an undisputable fact... then we can discuss if the terms of service (that somewhere should be written down) by chance state that any change / variation / discontinuation requires informing the clients.
    Really....registered app developer and didn't get the email? Have you seen any other developer state that here?
    Could the email not have arrived? Sure. Could be in the spam folder too? Sure. Could it be this person changed email since registration? Sure. Does HPs responsibility end when it sends out the email, not to ensure delivery? Yes.

Do I sympathize with the situation? AB-solutely!!!!
    Does the over the top post and reaction diminish the credibility. Absolutely.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    To settle the question once and for all, it's not only messages getting "SPAM-foldered." There's definitely a number of webOS users who have not been contacted by HP. That includes my mother.

I received the notice on my Palm Profile-registered e-mail address, but she never did. I received a second one not that long ago (two days?), she didn't. I asked, and there's nothing in her SPAM folder. She was also outraged about not being informed.

But the thing is, we purchased and set up our Pre+'s only a minute apart, at the same Verizon store. We were there together. When the firesale happened, we bought identical 16GB Touchpads together, so we have the same number of activated devices in our profiles. But somehow, she gets left out, and between the two of us, she's the one who doesn't read this forum, and has never Doctored her phone herself, because she has me. I never Doctored my phone, because it never needed to be. So theoretically, someone like her could have gone the entire time, using the same device, and never, ever heard of the impending shutdown.

Just my two cents.
    I never got an email either but thankfully these forums keep me up to date. I couldn't imagine using webOS devices on a regular basis in 2014 without the support from the community here. No reason to sue though. We all knew this day would come eventually.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)