Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Misj'
  1.    #1  
    It looks like the Websnapr service that gives the Browser bookmark page the webpage images to go with the bookmarks is no longer available as a free service. This quit working for me just today.

I know there was another service the TP browser used to reference for this purpose, but I don't remember the name. It had "duck" in the name, which didn't make any sense (but it did stick in my head). If this wasn't a site which turned into websnapr, is there a way I could point the browser to that other service? I liked having the little pictures; it told me the last time I went to the site, from the headlines it captured.

Any ideas? Or is this another service that was pulled as part of HP's final shutdown of webOS?
    Googled it. Snapshots - websnapr - Website Thumbnails For Your Website

So it appears to be independent of HP. The free service will soon be discontinued. If HP had some kind of deal with websnapr, then it's logical that this will end. Requests to the service would therefore be going via HP servers or direct to websnapr with a webOS id (I assume).

I see one offered Google search is for websnapr alternatives.

The thumbnails are nice I suppose, but not necessary - I don't think my desktop browser does this..? EDIT: It seems it does, so... how difficult is it to do this?

If I wanted to do this manually, I would use the screen shot function, resize or crop the picture as necessary, then save it in the place associated with the bookmark. The snapshot and save could be done on device - there is even that cropping function when making a contact photo. Perhaps there is a resize function in one of the limited photography apps for webOS or the function in something like GIMP could be used (OSS)? On any given device, the display size would be known as would the sizes of any required thumbnails, so the resize could be automated without user input - standard values applied.

I'm not a programmer, but I'd have thought this could all be done on device. In fact, this is the first I heard of this service - I'd assumed the OS was doing it. Is it just to off load the image processing overhead? There could be a dialog or tickbox for 'thumbnailing' and updating - in case you don't need this.

One other thing I note is that the thumbnails were updated on each visit, but I don't see why this couldn't also be automated and done on device. Visit bookmarked site -> load page -> Screen grab -> Crop, scale, save.
    @Preemptive,

A screenshot can be taken via luna-send (i forget the command/syntax, but i have it somewhere), if the app making the call is in the com.palm.* namespace. The output image is a .png, which can be cropped and resized via a command-line tool. So it should be trivial to reimplement this feature
    There's an image resize function on the luna bus somewhere in luna-sysservice.

I had no idea it went to an external service for this.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by krotech View Post
    It looks like the Websnapr service that gives the Browser bookmark page the webpage images to go with the bookmarks is no longer available as a free service. This quit working for me just today.

Any ideas? Or is this another service that was pulled as part of HP's final shutdown of webOS?
    Are you using the stock webOS browser or Advanced Browser by MaKleSoft? - Because as far as I can tell bookmark icons and desktop icons still work as expected in the stock browser, and in Advanced Browser I get the message you described.

If you're using Advanced Browser then it has nothing to do with HP or the discontinuation of webOS, and I would advice you to contact MaKleSoft about this.
    Remy X and Preemptive like this.
  6.    #6  
    That's a good catch. Thanks.

I have the Default to Advanced Browser patch installed. I'll have to uninstall that before I can see what the default Browser does.
    Does anyone knows where the thumbnails created by Websnapr service are stored?

I'm using Advanced Browser and I want to replace the 'Websnaper 2.0 has expired' images manually, I'm looking using Internalz Pro with no luck...