Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    Now that Aressel mentioned free apps... So far my focus was on the few paid apps I have, but thinking of it, I guess should redownload any free app from the app store, that is not in preware.

Thanks for the heads up

Regards,
    UW
    Last edited by HerrSchwarz5; 10/17/2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: rephrase
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    can free apps like Pandora be moved to Preware? is there distribution limited? Or,
    will someone with the ipk be able to email it to me once its no longer available via App Cat?

what about the offshoot "Pandora Tablet" app that's in the cat now. is that handled differently?

or do i have to uninst/reinst and figure out how to copy it? (ignorant of this process atm)

---

update: now that i'm no longer ignorant of that process, it is remarkably easy. for those concerned who haven't yet started, you can make your own archive of favorite ipks and store on device and on pc. hang in there.

read the PivotCE article, follow the link to the thread with the patch.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 10/17/2014 at 02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    can free apps like Pandora be moved to Preware? is there distribution limited? Or,
    will someone with the ipk be able to email it to me once its no longer available via App Cat?

what about the offshoot "Pandora Tablet" app that's in the cat now. is that handled differently?

or do i have to uninst/reinst and figure out how to copy it? (ignorant of this process atm)
    We'll need to just sweep up the whole catalog using several devices and grab all versions of app IPKs... then we'll figure things out.

If there's anything you have in mind, we'll definitely grab that for you.

But what the IPK backup process involves, is you back up the existing copy of the app (the app folder) and then uninstall the app and when your phone is in debug mode (as per GMMan's guide), when you reinstall the app the IPK won't be deleted.

This is mostly for paid apps, because free apps i don't have, i can just install and grab, with no need to worry about backing up my existing stuff

Oh, and Pandora, probably not, unless the company gives its blessing (copyright strikes again)
    NOTE:
    **Reminder to newbies --- please do not post requests asking for members to share apps. This is not allowed. After the catalog shutdown we will figure things out then... but until that point, please follow that rule. Thanks!

<some posts removed from this thread>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/17/2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
    i havent tested the ipk's which appeared in the folder after reinstall, but i now have a collection of them which i've copied to my pc. should be good to go.
    well, I was desperate enough that
    I wanted to buy a second pre3
    and re-purchase the applications,
    but the only one that would get
    to me on time was 235 pounds,
    which is too much
    Quote Originally Posted by elfcat4 View Post
    well, I was desperate enough that
    I wanted to buy a second pre3
    and re-purchase the applications,
    but the only one that would get
    to me on time was 235 pounds,
    which is too much
    i can find all my HP receipts apart from the picsel smart office.
    would a bank statement be enough if i could find it ?

i apologize for panicking

elfcat
    i can find all my HP receipts apart from the picsel smart office.
    would a bank statement be enough if i could find it ?

i apologize for panicking

elfcat
    If someone else here has archived the apps you purchased, your receipts would be good enough, but an even better idea would be logging into another webOS device like a Pre2 with the "save IPK" patch in place, and grabbing the IPKs as they get downloaded. I'll try to find someone here with a spare phone who is willing to be the "harvester" and send your copies back to you
    Once i put the patch on my TP, i just went to the cat and started installing stuff. If it existed, i uninst/reinst.
    When i was done, i plugged TP into PC and copied all ipks which accrued in the downloads folder. Easy peasy. I'm fairly certain the ones i need to will work on the pre2. Did the rest of the steps in the survival guide so i think I'm ready.

If you've paid for apps, you should be able to reinstall to a TP/phone and grab the ipk and make your archive. The ipk gets installed with Wosqi in the future as necessary. Get busy everyone! Lol
    thank you so much. I do have
    an old pre-, but the screen
    is nonresponsive

Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    If someone else here has archived the apps you purchased, your receipts would be good enough, but an even better idea would be logging into another webOS device like a Pre2 with the "save IPK" patch in place, and grabbing the IPKs as they get downloaded. I'll try to find someone here with a spare phone who is willing to be the "harvester" and send your copies back to you
    thank you so much. I do have
    an old pre-, but the screen
    is nonresponsive
    If you have the log-in credentials (Palm Profile email and password), somebody trustworthy on here can sign into your profile and download the apps. I don't have a spare phone at the moment because my Pre+ is my WiFi Hotspot, but someone else may have a half-dozen unused phones to play with

If nobody comes forward after five days, i'll see if i can spoof a phone with my Touchpad but hopefully someone will help you tomorrow
    If you have the log-in credentials (Palm Profile email and password), somebody trustworthy on here can sign into your profile and download the apps. I don't have a spare phone at the moment because my Pre+ is my WiFi Hotspot, but someone else may have a half-dozen unused phones to play with

If nobody comes forward after five days, i'll see if i can spoof a phone with my Touchpad but hopefully someone will help you tomorrow
    Is there a way to use the sdk emulator to download ipks straight to a pc hard drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Is there a way to use the sdk emulator to download ipks straight to a pc hard drive?
    It would take some hacking, because the default SDK emulator image lacks a functional app catalog, in part because the username is "DrSkippedFirstUse. If you manage to log in with a valid profile without the server noticing (needs tokens, etc), you probably could, but it's still not a "one click" project
    Sadly, I plan to move on. But not before I fire up the backup Pre 3 and pull down all the apps and IPKs. (I know I'm going to wander back to webOS from time to time, so it will be placed in the gadget locker with a stick containing a time capsule/survival kit for resurrection.)

That said, I have a collection of some fine apps to submit, so someone please shoot me a message if this comes to pass and i'll chip mine in!
    Rnp likes this.

Yeah... um.... no. That's not a good idea and one the site can't go with. Members need to either learn how to do this stuff or find a working device to use, or find a way outside of these forums. We can't allow posts promoting members to share credentials as those discussions put the site at risk.

Please keep those discussions limited to PM if needed.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Yeah... um.... no. That's not a good idea and one the site can't go with. Members need to either learn how to do this stuff or find a working device to use, or find a way outside of these forums. We can't allow posts promoting members to share credentials as those discussions put the site at risk.

Please keep those discussions limited to PM if needed.

Thanks!
    Yeah. Correct. He could use the tool provided by PurplHaze, if we could just grab the right tokens over command line

But i'm working on something better, where he would be able to export the complete profile.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Then there are the folks like me who used to have a TouchPad, and all the glorious games. Never copied IPKs, got pissed at HP (used to work there and the internal banter about it pissed me off), sold all my stuff. Got mad about it, recently picked up a Veer and can't DL the things for my TouchPad. SOmeone might give me a Touchpad soon, but it will be after the store closes and I won't be able to re-download all of the goodies again that I did legally buy.

That's the grey area that always kills me with online stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by kancept View Post
    Then there are the folks like me who used to have a TouchPad, and all the glorious games. Never copied IPKs, got pissed at HP (used to work there and the internal banter about it pissed me off), sold all my stuff. Got mad about it, recently picked up a Veer and can't DL the things for my TouchPad. SOmeone might give me a Touchpad soon, but it will be after the store closes and I won't be able to re-download all of the goodies again that I did legally buy.

That's the grey area that always kills me with online stores.
    This looks promising: Script to save all your app IPKs in one step

But it'll take some work, so if you could PM Herrie, he might be able to help. I do have a Touchpad, but until it's working again, i can't lend you the tokens. If i'll get it to boot tonight, i'll PM you with the tokens and you'll be able to use those with your profile to download all apps

But we are also working on being able to directly back-up whole Palm Profiles, so hopefully you'll be around long enough to see that as well
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    This looks promising: Script to save all your app IPKs in one step

But it'll take some work, so if you could PM Herrie, he might be able to help. I do have a Touchpad, but until it's working again, i can't lend you the tokens. If i'll get it to boot tonight, i'll PM you with the tokens and you'll be able to use those with your profile to download all apps

But we are also working on being able to directly back-up whole Palm Profiles, so hopefully you'll be around long enough to see that as well
    I thought that script only helped if your device was still listed. As I sold mine off ages ago and no longer have it listed, I didn't think it could comb the profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by kancept View Post
    I thought that script only helped if your device was still listed. As I sold mine off ages ago and no longer have it listed, I didn't think it could comb the profile.
    So if you login the TouchPad is no longer listed?
    https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...ge.iface?rvn=1
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast