webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > 2014 Apps & Games
2014 Apps & Games
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By -dunn

Old 08/04/2014, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

I know we're in the age of "dead apps" threads which makes sense for a technically "dead" OS. But even in 2014 I sometimes go on here and find an app that I didn't know existed.
So here's what I currently have on my phone (Pre3) (will add Tablet soon) hopefully you'll find a new app or 2 and feel free to share what you have on yours.

Applications:
Facebook - Obvious
Project Macaw - Twitter
FeedSpider - RSS Client
ESPN ScoreCenter - Sports Client
IAmA reddit - Reddit Client
AccuWeather - Weather Client
AuctionMate for eBay - eBay Client
wIRC - IRC Client
engadget - Tech website
Flixster - Movie Reviews (Rotton Tomatoes)
Amazon Deals - Self explanatory
E Notes (free) - Evernote Client
Boxalicious Free - Box.net Client

Music/Media:
GuttenPodder - Podcast Player
Slacker Radio - Streaming Music
Music (Remix) - Music Player
Spotify - Streaming Music (this app is a little buggy on Pre3)
Tunein by RadioTime - Stream Music/News/Sports

Games:
SuperNES - Super Nintendo Emulator
VisualBoy Advance - Gameboy Advance/Color Emulator (Works with Pre2 and older)
2048 - Puzzle Game
Woodenigma - Puzzle Game
Sims 3 (buggy with Pre3, works with Pre2 and older)

Preware:
Govnah - Control the CPU of your device
Internalz Pro - File Manager
App Tuckerbox - Control your Apps on your devices
Tweaks - Tweak your device
Save/Restore - Save and Restore your data
Lumberjack - View application/system logs
Impostah - Device/Application/Everything information
Dr. Battery - Device battery information

Last edited by -dunn; 08/05/2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Thread got cut-off
-dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, Preemptive and boovish like this.
Thanked by boovish, Preemptive
Old 08/05/2014, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Looking to the future, I note Herrie's warnings that there is a LOT of work to be done on LuneOS. He is trying to both manage expectations and attract developers to speed the work being done.

Success breeds success and history is littered with examples of clearly superior products failing due to the market dominance of competitors. If webOS-Ports do eventually deliver a high-quality product, it may still remain a zombie OS. In my opinion, there are two levels of success possible for LuneOS: Firstly, it will hopefully be taken up by former & current webOS users as an enthusiast's OS. Secondly, there is always the slight possiblility that it goes mainstream. (How do you think webOS is doing?)

But especially recently, the ecosystem has become a key factor: People make apps and accessories for the successful products because they provide access to the largest markets and users buy those phones because of all the apps and accessories... It's a virtuous circle.

I'm seeing stories about how maybe 50% of app developers never make any real money and from app pricing and the controversies over in-app payment, it's clear that it's difficult to get anyone to pay for stuff these days. It's a game of mass sales of low-margin products. It's hard to justify the effort of targeting smaller markets with even less chance of return. It is unsurprising that in this environment, iOS and Android have vast app catalogues while even a company with the resources of Microsoft is struggling to get some popular apps on it's system. For them, Blackberry, webOS, Firefox etc., the circle is a vicious one. Not being in the top two means very few apps are created for the other platforms. Cross-platform technologies may have some impact here, but it's hard to predict. However, a huge app-catalogue doesn't mean that all the apps are quality. It's often said that many Android apps in particular are poor.

So it seems a catalogue doesn't have to be huge if it is fairly comprehensive and of good quality. It is to be hoped that LuneOS can leverage exisiting apps, cross-platform technologies and perhaps ports from other platforms sufficient to keep the enthusiasts on board. This is also an areas where those who lack the skills to develop the OS, but can develop apps, can contribute. That level of support may create a chance for mainstream adoption and bring apps from popular services. Realistically, it's unlikely, but possible.

It's good to see a list like this and start to consider what apps will be needed to give LuneOS a fighting chance to succeed. A strategy of quantity won't happen immediately, so quality has to be adopted and if LuneOS can achieve most of what the dominat OSes can, that might be enough.

Last edited by Preemptive; 08/06/2014 at 06:09 AM.
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2014, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Apps:
Accuweather
AgendaZ
Archive Manager
Boxalicious
Calc12CS (Financial/Scientific calculator)
ComicShelf (CBR Reader)
Dictionary (Offline dictionary)
Explorer for Dropbox
Facebook
QuickChat for Facebook
FeedSpider (Feedly client)
FlashCards
FTPit!
Forums (Tapatalk client)
GC-gogo (Geocaching app)
Google Maps
JogStats (pedometer)
Keyring (Password Keeper)
neato! (send messages between devices)
netSpeed
Opera's Bookmarks (Opera browser bookmark sync)
Package Tracker
Piscel Smart Office
pReader (eBook reader)
Project Macaw (Twitter client)
QuickPost (to Facebook & Twitter)
ReadOnTouch Pro (Pocket client)
Splashtop Remote (VNC client)
SynerGV (Google Voice)
TapNote (Dropbox note syncing)
TMaps NY Closest Subway
TMaps - Pocket Subways
Translator (Google Translate app)
Unit Convertor
Urban Dictionary
Voice Recorder
MojoWhatsup (WhatsApp client)
WhitePages
Wordpress
Yelp
ZenSearch (Craigslist client)
ZIP Code Tools

Music/Media:
Amazon MP3
Apollo (Pandora Client)
Grooveshark
GuttenPodder
KalemSoft Media Player
Music Player (Remix)
Photo Effects Pro
PhotoMe (allows front camera for photos on Pre3)
Slacker Radio
SongID (Shazam-type app)
Spotify
TuneIn Radio

Games:
Buka HD
DogFighters Free
Evac HD
Ironworm
The Game of Life
Monopoly
Need for Speed: Undercover
Quell HD
Quell Reflect HD
Radiant Defense
Risk
Slice It!
Sparkle 2
Spirit
SuperNES
SuperJump
Swingworm

Widgets:
Battery Widget
Dash Weather
Pop!Later (Pocket)
Toggle4G Widget (tracks data usage)

Homebrew:
Clock Sync
Dr. Battery
freeTether
Govnah
Impostah
Internalz Pro
Media Indexer Refresher
New Device Menu Patch (beta3)
Netstat
Preware
Save/Restore
Tailor
Theme Manager
Tweaks
USB Flash Mount OTG
WiFi File Sharing
xwTweak

I don't use my Pre3 as my primary phone anymore mainly due to a half-dozen other apps that have no viable option on webOS such as Instagram, SnapChat, Tinder, Square Register, etc so those apps are important to me also. Having a good modern web browser in LuneOS will go a long way with a lot of the needs people have but certain things really do need apps. Still making this list reminded me that even today the Pre3 is still a viable phone that for the most part does everything I need it to.

Additional apps/media/homebrew on TouchPad Go:
Communities (instead of Forums)
Craigslist Pro (instead of ZenSearch)
Doggy Bag (instead of ReadOnTouch Pro)
Flixi (Exhibition app)
iHeartRadio
Kayak HD
LunaCE
Retune (iTunes remote controller app)
SubOrbital (to add pages to launcher)

Additional games on TP Go:
Asphalt 6
Beyond Ynth
Doodle Fit
Doodle Pool HD
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Nova2

Last edited by cbosdell; 08/06/2014 at 12:26 AM.
cbosdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: -dunn
Old 08/06/2014, 02:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Looking to the future, I note Herrie's warnings that there is a LOT of work to be done on LuneOS. He is trying to both manage expectations and attract developers to speed the work being done.

Success breeds success and history is littered with examples of clearly superior products failing due to the market dominance of competitors. If webOS-Ports do eventually deliver a high-quality product, it may still remain a zombie OS. In my opinion, there are two levels of success possible for LuneOS: Firstly, it will hopefully be taken up by former & current webOS users as an enthusiast's OS. Secondly, there is always the slight possiblility that it goes mainstream. (How do you think webOS is doing?)

But especially recently, the ecosystem has become a key factor: People make apps and accessories for the successful products because they provide access to the largest markets and users buy those phones because of all the apps and accessories... It's a virtuous circle.

I'm seeing stories about how maybe 50% of app developers never make any real money and from app pricing and the controversies over in-app payment, it's clear that it's difficult to get anyone to pay for stuff these days. It's a game of mass sales of low-margin products. It's hard to justify the effort of targeting smaller markets with even less chance of return. It is unsurprising that in this environment, iOS and Android have vast app catalogues while even a company with the resources of Microsoft is struggling to get some popular apps on it's system. For them, Blackberry, webOS, Firefox etc., the circle is a vicious one. Not being in the top two means very few apps are created for the other platforms. Cross-platform technologies may have some impact here, but it's hard to predict. However, a huge app-catalogue doesn't mean that all the apps are quality. It's often said that many Android apps in particular are poor.

So it seems a catalogue doesn't have to be huge if it is fairly comprehensive and of good quality. It is to be hoped that LuneOS can leverage exisiting apps, cross-platform technologies and perhaps ports from other platforms sufficient to keep the enthusiasts on board. This is also an areas where those who lack the skills to develop the OS, but can develop apps, can contribute. That level of support may create a chance for mainstream adoption and bring apps from popular services. Realistically, it's unlikely, but possible.

It's good to see a list like this and start to consider what apps will be needed to give LuneOS a fighting chance to succeed. A stategy of quantity won't happen immediately, so quality has to be adopted and if LuneOS can achieve most of what the dominat OSes can, that might be enough.
Ecosystem is the key word. It's true that many Android apps are of poor quality and even some of the developers of good quality ones that are cross platform stated that they make more money from "niche" platforms compared to Android. The good thing is that most things get more and more web centered, so native apps are more and more replaced by just a front-end for a proper mobile website. Having a good browser should sort a lot of the app issues.

There will be however still quite some apps that are only available natively (Instagram and some of the IM platforms come to mind). Ideally LuneOS would have a solution to run those, similar to what BB10 or Jolla has, so Android apps could also be run. Unfortunately there is no open source solution for this (at the moment) and it would require licensing fees to be paid to get this technology implemented. Anyway that's something for later, core OS functionalities still need to be fully implemented where they are missing before something like that could be in scope.

We're gradually getting more hands helping out, even when it's just with small bits of the OS.
Old 08/06/2014, 06:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
There will be however still quite some apps that are only available natively (Instagram and some of the IM platforms come to mind). Ideally LuneOS would have a solution to run those, similar to what BB10 or Jolla has, so Android apps could also be run. Unfortunately there is no open source solution for this (at the moment) and it would require licensing fees to be paid to get this technology implemented.
I'd suggest that there are solutions, but none currently ideal. Firstly, there's dual-booting Cyanogenmod. Possibly a better option for tablets and yes, requires reboot and doesn't interact with webOS. Possibly ACL could run under LuneOS (don't bet on it), but it's not open-source. Finally, there's this: (Pre3) AndroidChroot - run android inside webOS Performance is apparently not great at the moment, but modern devices with fast chips and plently of memory may help. It is open source and does integrate with webOS.

In addition, I believe Google's new ART engine is open source, but have no idea how much work would be required to integrate it into webOS.
Old 09/11/2014, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi

Could you share voice recorder to me?
Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
Apps:
Accuweather
AgendaZ
Archive Manager
Boxalicious
Calc12CS (Financial/Scientific calculator)
ComicShelf (CBR Reader)
Dictionary (Offline dictionary)
Explorer for Dropbox
Facebook
QuickChat for Facebook
FeedSpider (Feedly client)
FlashCards
FTPit!
Forums (Tapatalk client)
GC-gogo (Geocaching app)
Google Maps
JogStats (pedometer)
Keyring (Password Keeper)
neato! (send messages between devices)
netSpeed
Opera's Bookmarks (Opera browser bookmark sync)
Package Tracker
Piscel Smart Office
pReader (eBook reader)
Project Macaw (Twitter client)
QuickPost (to Facebook & Twitter)
ReadOnTouch Pro (Pocket client)
Splashtop Remote (VNC client)
SynerGV (Google Voice)
TapNote (Dropbox note syncing)
TMaps NY Closest Subway
TMaps - Pocket Subways
Translator (Google Translate app)
Unit Convertor
Urban Dictionary
Voice Recorder
MojoWhatsup (WhatsApp client)
WhitePages
Wordpress
Yelp
ZenSearch (Craigslist client)
ZIP Code Tools

Music/Media:
Amazon MP3
Apollo (Pandora Client)
Grooveshark
GuttenPodder
KalemSoft Media Player
Music Player (Remix)
Photo Effects Pro
PhotoMe (allows front camera for photos on Pre3)
Slacker Radio
SongID (Shazam-type app)
Spotify
TuneIn Radio

Games:
Buka HD
DogFighters Free
Evac HD
Ironworm
The Game of Life
Monopoly
Need for Speed: Undercover
Quell HD
Quell Reflect HD
Radiant Defense
Risk
Slice It!
Sparkle 2
Spirit
SuperNES
SuperJump
Swingworm

Widgets:
Battery Widget
Dash Weather
Pop!Later (Pocket)
Toggle4G Widget (tracks data usage)

Homebrew:
Clock Sync
Dr. Battery
freeTether
Govnah
Impostah
Internalz Pro
Media Indexer Refresher
New Device Menu Patch (beta3)
Netstat
Preware
Save/Restore
Tailor
Theme Manager
Tweaks
USB Flash Mount OTG
WiFi File Sharing
xwTweak

I don't use my Pre3 as my primary phone anymore mainly due to a half-dozen other apps that have no viable option on webOS such as Instagram, SnapChat, Tinder, Square Register, etc so those apps are important to me also. Having a good modern web browser in LuneOS will go a long way with a lot of the needs people have but certain things really do need apps. Still making this list reminded me that even today the Pre3 is still a viable phone that for the most part does everything I need it to.

Additional apps/media/homebrew on TouchPad Go:
Communities (instead of Forums)
Craigslist Pro (instead of ZenSearch)
Doggy Bag (instead of ReadOnTouch Pro)
Flixi (Exhibition app)
iHeartRadio
Kayak HD
LunaCE
Retune (iTunes remote controller app)
SubOrbital (to add pages to launcher)

Additional games on TP Go:
Asphalt 6
Beyond Ynth
Doodle Fit
Doodle Pool HD
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Nova2
djwang1@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2014, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for this thread.
I'm quite dazzled for what Apps are mentioned here I never heard they existed, i.e. Amazon Mp3?!? Could you probably add the source and/or if there is any Chance where/If a ROW User could get hold of them?

Best whishes
hfGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2014, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfGermany View Post
Thanks for this thread.
I'm quite dazzled for what Apps are mentioned here I never heard they existed, i.e. Amazon Mp3?!? Could you probably add the source and/or if there is any Chance where/If a ROW User could get hold of them?

Best whishes
Amazon MP3 was bundled with the OS for supported regions, so it's not available for download. It doesn't matter much anymore, because the login has been broken for many months, and they likely will do nothing to address it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote