Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
  1.    #1  
    Hmmm I just noticed I'm getting this 'Save to Instapaper' pop-up/banner on websites. I thought it was just a 'thing', but now I see it everywhere & now clicking on links takes me to some kind of Instapaper redirect site that tells me my browser isn't supported! Thanks Instapaper! Way to get in the way!

I've recently been testing NISI & Relego with www.getpocket.com & I notice both Feedspider & Macaw also offer to send to Instapaper, so I expect I've tapped the wrong thing at some point and now have some kind of add-on in the browser.

How do I make this go away? I don't use Instapaper. There is no Instapaper app on this phone.

Thanks for any advice! :-)
    I made a reference to that save to insta paper banner in another thread. It is really annoying, especially when using keyboard shortcuts to scroll. Are you sure you don't have the mobilize with insta paper patch installed?

I wish someone with the know how could come up with a easy way to make unreadable web content readable without instapaper right there in the browser, thats all I use those read it paper services to do. I think there was an easy way to do that in old palm os. Spare time instatpaper client worked pretty good but it was tedious having to leave the browser to do it. Cant stand having to turn my phone sideways just to read some text.

And my spare time install broke, first it couldn't sign in and now I cant install and reinstall it.

After all, all I need to work is email, messaging, phone and browser.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I made a reference to that save to insta paper banner in another thread. It is really annoying, especially when using keyboard shortcuts to scroll. Are you sure you don't have the mobilize with insta paper patch installed?
    Not intentionally. I'm assuming something got installed with a mis-tap!

EDIT: Ah! Switching off, 'Mobilise web links' in Macaw general preferences seemed to do the trick. Only tried on one site so far, but maybe I set this on by mistake - it's not clear what it's for by the name.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/03/2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Not intentionally. I'm assuming something got installed with a mis-tap!

EDIT: Ah! Switching off, 'Mobilise web links' in Macaw general preferences seemed to do the trick. Only tried on one site so far, but maybe I set this on by mistake - it's not clear what it's for by the name.
    Mobilize weblinks means they try to serve up web pages so the text is easier to read on small screens of mobil phones, and using insta-paper to do it
    Preemptive likes this.
    What's the issue with mobilze with instapaper patch? Not working anymore? Can look into it...

There also are other services offer similar processing... maybe we can add a patch for them, too?
  6.    #6  
    To Clarify, my problem is SOLVED. It seems the option in Macaw sends weblinks via an instapaper redirect which possibly does some formatting and adds a pop-up to save the page to instapaper. I don't have the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    What's the issue with mobilze with instapaper patch? Not working anymore? Can look into it...

There also are other services offer similar processing... maybe we can add a patch for them, too?
    Well instapaper now insists on a pretty sizable banner "save to instaper" which is omni present, so if it was just at the top of the page it wouldn't be too bad, but it comes up every time one scrolls.

For my taste what I would like to see is something simple to mobilize pages right inside in the browser with a drop down thing at the top with the options to save , font size, etc, like the wikipedia mobile page.

Question is it it really necessary to have to use these third party services to accomplish this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Question is it it really necessary to have to use these third party services to accomplish this?
    For webOS, I dunno. But I recently picked up a full WIn 8.1 tablet. The tablet version of IE is actually pretty decent. And when you're reading any article, a "Read" button appears. Tapping it reformats the (fully loaded) page into a very easy to read, clutter free experience. I actually use it a lot. (It's amazing how much useless some sites put on their pages.) As far as I can tell it's all done completely locally, though it's annoying having to let the full page load before you can flip the switch.
    One would think that with palm releasing phones with such small screens like the veer, and even the pre line before that, they would have incorporated some kind of work-around for impossible to read website text.

Maybe they would have gotten around to it, but then again never heard to many complaints
    Well, as I recall the original Pre and final Pre 3 screens were among the highest pixel density at the time of release. So yeah, not too many complaints.
    It's not sooooo easy to get all usefull text from a webpage.. those service put a lot of effort into getting it right. And they fail from time to time, too. Not sure how IE does it.. sounds like a nice feature.

I created a getpocket client with spritz integration ( Spritz ) and this is a great fit to the Veer. => makes reading much easier... and resolves all those scrolling issues, because you don't need to scroll.

Maybe I should try to create a browser patch that allows to spritzify web pages? Not sure how hard that would be. Small issue I have with spritz: You need to login / create an account with them to be able to read at fast speeds... and even if not logged in, they collect usage data. But they are much better than alternatives like "openspritz".
    Hm.. maybe the spritz idea will not work too good, if you look at how bad Readsy (spritz on a web page) works on a legacy browser... :-/
    laingman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    It's not sooooo easy to get all usefull text from a webpage.. those service put a lot of effort into getting it right. And they fail from time to time, too. Not sure how IE does it.. sounds like a nice feature.

I created a getpocket client with spritz integration ( Spritz ) and this is a great fit to the Veer. => makes reading much easier... and resolves all those scrolling issues, because you don't need to scroll.

Maybe I should try to create a browser patch that allows to spritzify web pages? Not sure how hard that would be. Small issue I have with spritz: You need to login / create an account with them to be able to read at fast speeds... and even if not logged in, they collect usage data. But they are much better than alternatives like "openspritz".
    Hm.. maybe the spritz idea will not work too good, if you look at how bad Readsy (spritz on a web page) works on a legacy browser... :-/
    Actually never heard of this spritz before. I tested it in opera (12.17) and it worked well, just pasting a url. Tried the same on pre2, it show the text in the box (too small of course) and the scroll bar didn't show up. But it might be a good idea to try to create a patch that could make it full screen or close to it and enable scrolling somehow. The part with the auto scroll test did't work at all on pre2.
    Last edited by laingman; 07/13/2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Well, as I recall the original Pre and final Pre 3 screens were among the highest pixel density at the time of release. So yeah, not too many complaints.
    I dont know about pixel density etc, I think my pre2 is way easier to read than my girlfriend's iphone 5 with it's fancy screen whatever they call it.

But I am still surprised how little attention browser readability has received. I mean what is the point of having the "real Internet" according to apple if one cant read a single word without turning phone sideways and/or scrolling sideways.

There was some concern tho, even for the bigger pre3, that's how come I'm running the browserappconfig20 patch. It works for some sites and has no effect on others. Wikipedia font was always too tiny for me and now its just right, but it also throws of the formatting of the table they like to use at the top. But I can live with that