Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By bethel95
  • 1 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    As some of you may know, Google is going to be doing something to terminate third party app access to Google Voice in May of this year. (previously, I thought it was May of NEXT year... oops)

I don't have any answer as to what will happen to SynerGV users at that point. I don't know if they're just going to boot everyone from their app store, and leave everything otherwise unchanged, or what.

Google have pledged that Hangouts will support Voice's services after that point (apparently third party voice apps are some kind of security threat, so until they eliminate them, they aren't going to implement it in Android, although that hasn't stopped them from implementing it in iOS already).

It is not clear that there will or will not be any kind of a public API for accessing Hangouts information from a device that does not already actively support running a Hangouts app.

Short version: I have no idea if there will be any ability whatsoever for SynerGV to continue on. If there is, then I will do what I can to make that happen, but I can't make any guarantees on that.

As it's not possible to convert an application from paid to free, I have submitted a price drop to 0.99 on the applications, and included a warning that the apps may (or may not) stop working sometime after May 15. I will probably also release the applications as open source, and suspend them from the catalog in the future.
    Last edited by eblade; 04/09/2014 at 11:52 PM.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Rnp likes this.
    is this google slowly trying to withdraw 3rd partys from greater access to their apps/devices or do they have some valid reason for wanting to do so.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3.    #3  
    I can only make guesses to answer that question with, sorry. Unfortunately, it sounds like I'm going to need to find a new niche to make an app for, if I want to say that I'm still in the app business ... and this means my webOS TouchPad will get less useful
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Well, they do want to consolidate messaging into Hangouts. Google Voice has always sort of been wonky... This sounds like a move to shut the Voice "API" down and use Hangouts, more than anything. (I haven't heard about the security threat claim, but I admit to not following closely). My only gripe is that I am not sure what the Hangouts API is......
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    excuse the ignorance. In this affecting our webos? by the translator did not understand much

Enviado desde la chingada, hasta allį!!
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    excuse the ignorance. In this affecting our webos? by the translator did not understand much

Enviado desde la chingada, hasta allį!!
    Only if you're a Google Voice user.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Well, they do want to consolidate messaging into Hangouts. Google Voice has always sort of been wonky... This sounds like a move to shut the Voice "API" down and use Hangouts, more than anything. (I haven't heard about the security threat claim, but I admit to not following closely). My only gripe is that I am not sure what the Hangouts API is......
    As far as I can tell, there's an API for embedding applications that make use of voice and potentially texting and messaging inside a hangout, but there's not, as far as I can tell, a public API for actually getting into a hangout. So, it's not looking good at this time.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    As far as I can tell, there's an API for embedding applications that make use of voice and potentially texting and messaging inside a hangout, but there's not, as far as I can tell, a public API for actually getting into a hangout. So, it's not looking good at this time.
    so are they trying to push their own software over others by making thigns nedlessly difficult for 3rd partys or is there a wealth of 3rd partys following with the changes?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    so are they trying to push their own software over others by making thigns nedlessly difficult for 3rd partys or is there a wealth of 3rd partys following with the changes?
    Hard to say, there. I don't see any way that the application API can be used for anything I would find useful. It's more for making hangouts do things. But it requires a hangouts application that works in the first place. So, it's like Facebook apps -- they run inside the hangout, not as a seperate entity.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I've continued to use SynerGV since eblade's April announcement--until today. Today, when I tried to launch SynerGV, I got the "Google Voice Login" popup with a "Login Failed" message displayed.

I guess that Google has changed the login protocol for GV just like they did for all of the other services.

Grabber5.0 (Matt Williams) and frantid were able to come up with a webOS patch to fix the login issue for Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Contacts. Whether or not what they learned would be of any use to fixing SynerGV is hard to say, but it might be worth your time to contact them--perhaps you could buy us some more time?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre³ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre³ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    I just tried SynerGV based on the message from bethel95, above, and it loaded for me. No new messages in the last several days anyway, but every message and conversation I have had in the past couple of months loaded fine. If it matters, I haven't loaded the new Google login patch yet.
    Working for me here too.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  13.    #13  
    Bethel, perhaps the auth token had simply run out, they are good for an "indefinite" period of time, at which point you may have to re-enter the password. I just checked both 1.0 and 2.0, and are working fine here. Also whatever version I have on my Android tablet is working too. In fact, I recently had to grab my TouchPad to access some specific messages I needed from quite some time ago, because the official Google Voice app on my Android phone refused to load the conversations that I needed to refer to. Which made me laugh.

I'm thinking that perhaps Google actually hasn't taken any action that has made the Voice service itself unusable, but possibly blocked whatever people were using to do VOIP with, as I don't see any of the VOIP over Google Voice apps (which were technically using Google Talk, not Google Voice, even though they used your Voice phone number) in the Android catalog anymore, but I still see plenty of apps that do stuff simulating the web interface.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    For what its worth, I got the "Login Failed" message today. I installed the app on my freshly wiped pre2 about a month ago, but never got around to actually using it until today. When I tried to log in I got the same message as Bethel.

I was in a rush so I didn't fuss with it at the time, but I will try it again when my phone charges back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    For what its worth, I got the "Login Failed" message today. I installed the app on my freshly wiped pre2 about a month ago, but never got around to actually using it until today. When I tried to log in I got the same message as Bethel.
    I should mention that I moved to a new Pre3 two weeks ago, and reinstalled SynerGV then. I'm not sure, but it's possible that yesterday was the first time I'd tried to use it since activating and setting up the new phone.

Anyway, I just opened SynerGV again and still got the "Google Voice Login" screen with "Login Failed." I'd previously tried re-entering my password without success. This time, I noticed that my user name had quotes around it--after removing the quote marks and retrying, I successfully logged in!

I'm wondering if this is a quirk of reinstalling SynerGV from the webOS Profile (which is what I'm pretty sure happened after activating the new Pre3), as opposed to reinstalling from the App Catalog (which would, presumably, ask for the login credentials, rather than presenting previously-saved credentials).

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre³ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre³ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    SynerGV still works for me, with one problem and one new feature.

The new feature is that calls I make show up in my messages list now. I don't remember that happening before. Maybe I need to call more people.

The problem I have is that SynerGV won't keep pulling down call and message data from Google. I have to periodically delete the SynerGV account and sign in again, and then I get everything to show up and update. I've installed the gsync 1.2 patch, which I couldn't get to install for a while, but I don't know if that will solve the problem. Is this anything to do with changes in Google that people are seeing? Or am I doing something else wrong?

If I need to ask the question somewhere else, please advise.
  17.    #17  
    krotech,

That might be a setting somewhere. I've always had calls show up.

I have seen the activity that re-triggers syncing get .. confused? except it's so difficult to get it to happen, that it's damn near impossible for me to debug :-S

It shouldn't have anything to do with the gsync patch. I wish I'd been able to interface it to the existing Google account package, but that wasn't something that I had time to try to figure out.

What usually gets it going again for me, is loading the SynerGV 2 app, opening the App Menu (upper left hand corner) and selecting "Sync List" .. that should re-set any activities that have shutdown unexpectedly.

Should you happen to come up with any insight as to what might be triggering it, I'd love to hear!

... oh, also, I did hear some feedback from people that the various versions of SynerGV may become confused by the announcement that Google has inserted into the main page now, about being able to send it's text messages into Hangouts. People may need to login to the Voice website and clear that announcement, if they are having problems. Do NOT turn on the Hangouts integration, though, that turns off Voice receiving your SMS..

.. which leads me to believe that it's probably likely that Google will be killing Voice sometime in the future.. sigh.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  18.    #18  
    SynerGV 1 has been released open source:

https://github.com/ericblade/synergv1

SynerGV 2 will follow, but I need to scrub it more thoroughly for various bits and pieces that I may not be able to commit.

Pull requests, comments, etc, are gladly welcome. Enjoy all the fine humor in the commit messages, too.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    dkirker likes this.