Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hi all, I am new here, please don't hate me. I am wondering just how difficult it would be to make an already existing app from Android/iOS/WP8/BB/Symbian work on WebOS. Specifically I would love to be able to use WeChat (微信), a Chinese app that is similar to WhatsApp. I have a Verizon Pixi Plus. Can the Pixi Plus run .jar files? WeChat is about a 25 MB app in Android and I'm no programmer so I'm assuming it would be a daunting task for anyone, let alone myself. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmold86 View Post
    Hi all, I am new here, please don't hate me....
    Hi bmold86, and welcome to the webOS Nation forums! You certainly won't find anyone 'hating' you for asking you questions - actually, just the opposite! We love people who join and show interest in webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi bmold86, and welcome to the webOS Nation forums! You certainly won't find anyone 'hating' you for asking you questions - actually, just the opposite! We love people who join and show interest in webOS
    Unlike some other device forums which shall remain nameless..

Hi all, I am new here, please don't hate me. I am wondering just how difficult it would be to make an already existing app from Android/iOS/WP8/BB/Symbian work on WebOS. Specifically I would love to be able to use WeChat (微信), a Chinese app that is similar to WhatsApp. I have a Verizon Pixi Plus. Can the Pixi Plus run .jar files? WeChat is about a 25 MB app in Android and I'm no programmer so I'm assuming it would be a daunting task for anyone, let alone myself. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Jar files (java apps) don't run on webOS. Even with the limited java support that was in webOS 1.x. The only apps that are "easy" (a very relative term) to port are webapps and OpenGL (I think that's the right one...) apps (like Angry birds, though they stopped supporting us after the initial versions).
    I don't want to get your hopes up.

I've heard it isn't too difficult to port iphone apps to webOS, so if there is an iphone version of this app, if you were a programmer (which you are not) and had rights & access to the code (unlikely), then you just might be able to port it.

There is also a project to run Android in a card under webOS, so you could run the app that way, but I don't think AndroidChroot will run on a pixi. You need a webOS 2.0 device.

I don't think Pre2's are very expensive these days. You could start there. But you'd need to do a lot of effort even to be within a chance of getting this to work.

I'd say there is no harm in asking the developer to port the app. A messaging app could maybe made in Enyo. But don't hold your breath.

There may be a way, but it might be easier to give up...
    welcome to the forum. Here developers strive to help. I like that a lot.

Enviado desde la chingada, hasta allá!!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thanks all for your nice replies. Some other forums can be quite hostile, especially to newbies. Anyway, some resources (API, SDK) for Android/iOS are available for this WeChat app: WeChat Developers. I have a Chinese friend who is a Java programmer, I will try to get his thoughts.

I was searching around and found something called PhoneGap that apparently can auto-compile apps to WebOS in the cloud (not sure if it still works for WebOS). The source needs to be HTML5, CSS, or Javascript though, correct?

From some searching it seems the Pixi Plus can sort of be updated to WebOS 2.0 or 2.1 - would AndroidChroot work that way?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Pretty sure I already posted a reply, but I don't see it here yet, maybe it needs to be approved first. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the kind replies. Some other forums can be quite hostile!

iOS/Android API and SDK are available for this WeChat app, so not sure if that would be helpful in terms of porting to WebOS or not. I also have a Chinese friend who is a Java programmer, I will run the idea by him and see his thoughts.

Also heard about Adobe PhoneGap which apparently can take HTML5/Javascript/CSS and auto convert it to WebOS capable apps (if it still works, the latest version doesn't seem to support WebOS anymore). This WeChat app also happens to have a browser version which I'm wondering if that might lead to anything - would it be possible to grab HTML/CSS stuff from the browser version of the app and use PhoneGap to compile a new standalone WebOS app? I may be getting ahead of myself. Anyway, would love to hear what people think. Thanks again!
    hi bmold86 did you find a solution for wechat on a palm ?
    I have the same problem : a palm pre2, a son in China and no wechat to talk easely with him.
    If you have the solution, I'll take it !
    thanks