webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > As PlanB for WhatsApp: TELEGRAM
As PlanB for WhatsApp: TELEGRAM
Like Tree12Likes

Old 02/28/2014, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

No one knows how long we can still use WhatsApp on WebOS. Maybe one day even a fb account is required - who knows?

Anyhow - it would be cool to integrate in the fabulous MojoWhatsUp as additional Message service Telegram.

WTF is Telegram? -> https://telegram.org/

It's open source and free!
It's even support secure chats from end to end (AES 256), not by default and not based on PublicKeys as Threema - but this is already much more then WhatsApp ever did.

Would be cool to add this to mojowhatsup or create a client based on this excellent work!

How about we crowdfound it?

Any opinions?

Here is the Source Code: https://telegram.org/source
MrGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MAMISHO and MartinH@webos like this.
Old 02/28/2014, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGan View Post
No one knows how long we can still use WhatsApp on WebOS. Maybe one day even a fb account is required - who knows?

Anyhow - it would be cool to integrate in the fabulous MojoWhatsUp as additional Message service Telegram.

WTF is Telegram? -> https://telegram.org/

It's open source and free!
It's even support secure chats from end to end (AES 256), not by default and not based on PublicKeys as Threema - but this is already much more then WhatsApp ever did.

Would be cool to add this to mojowhatsup or create a client based on this excellent work!

How about we crowdfound it?

Any opinions?

Here is the Source Code: https://telegram.org/source
It seems not as safe as they make you believe it is. Interesting reads are at: Crypto Fails — Telegram's Cryptanalysis Contest

And:

http://unhandledexpression.com/2013/...we-know-maths/

Threema, might be an alternative, but only iOS and Android and not being open source
Old 02/28/2014, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
It seems not as safe as they make you believe it is. Interesting reads are at: Crypto Fails — Telegram's Cryptanalysis Contest

And:

Telegram, AKA “Stand back, we have Math PhDs!” – Unhandled expression

Threema, might be an alternative, but only iOS and Android and not being open source
Thanks a lot Herrie to point this Blog out.
Using SHA1, IGE, using MAC and Encrypt makes it in deed vulnerable compared to threema , what I use on my tab, nevertheless it's better then whatsapp ever was. Threema reached 500.000 user, and Telegram 10.000.000.
I expect to see never a implementation of threema on webos so it will remain on IOS and Android.
As the telegram interface is public we will see some more client implementation for other systems as well.
So using the telegram infrastructure to simply messaging puts it on the same level as whatsapp.
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Old 02/28/2014, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Android I've changed telegram. and I am hopeful that a developer with a big heart telegram to work on webos.

Enviado desde la chingada, hasta allá!!
joshua764 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2014, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I -really- don't have time, but my github still has examples of how to integrate messaging clients on it, so someone could integrate that to the messaging app. Of course, it wouldn't have any special functions, which is why there was that huge app included with SynerGV.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and MrGan like this.
Old 02/28/2014, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

TextSecure
Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
eKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2014, 03:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

TextSecure is open source, supports forward secrecy, encryption, the parallel reception on different devices - very good !

But:
Only available for Android, not even there it's supporting all flavours, a samsung tab in the family was not supported
So not S40, no Blackberry and what hurts the most no Apple - the window of opportunity is small and unfortunately not always the technical superior system wins if this is missed.
Old 03/01/2014, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Ahem...

Instant Bean Bird?

Tor develops its own anonymous IM tool to hide chat from spying eyes | Ars Technica
Old 03/02/2014, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

A few days ago I was looking at the sources of webogram, a telegram client written in js for browsers. Perhaps it's easy of implement this as a webOS app (it must be pretty easy).
Now I only need time but, as a "new-in-box father", free time it's a non-sense word for me

Link to the sources:
https://github.com/zhukov/webogram
juanma_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by lgiordano likes this.
Old 03/03/2014, 12:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

These would be very good options if Mr. Zuck goes Almighty_Mode with his new toy... ;-)
ajguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2014, 12:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've been looking at the possibility of SureSpot. Supposed to be secure and open source. https://www.surespot.me/
Old 03/03/2014, 03:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I think it was on the main thread that I suggested an app to support multiple protocols. I think there was also talk of synergy integration. I suppose the problem is choosing a protocol that is well written, secure and of course, popular with your contacts - unless the various offerings can interact... Back to Synergy! if a webOS app can contact your friends on most popular IM systems, then the exact choice soesn't really matter. I'm thinking of Feedspider, which supports a number of popular RSS readers that have public APi's.

Of course, this is a much bigger solution (& effort!) than an app dedicated to one protocol.
Old 03/03/2014, 03:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Synergy is the way to go. However.... Chatthreader has some issues. Like, major ones. Waiting 30 minutes for a delivered message to be threaded is nasty. I think someone writing Synergy connectors and solving that problem would be best.
Old 03/20/2014, 03:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

+1 for telegram )
Xamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2014, 08:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hello everybody!! This is my first comment here, although I'm an old time reader. Before I keep on wringing, I want to thank the developers for all the hard work coding, testing and helping, and the community alike.

Now turning to the post's topic, I tried to use webogram on my pre+'s stock browser with negative results (when I put my phone number, it gets stuck at the "generating keys" step). Did anyone make this webapp work on a pre with webOS 2.1.0?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lgiordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/20/2014, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGan View Post
I like that.
The new protocol (e.g. Telegram - I like that because it is open source and security should be better than WhatsUp) should best be *added* to the whatsup protocol. So - if my contact is on Telegram - then it will use that and else it would fall back to whatsup or so.
Best such app should become available on webOS (of course) and on Android (perhaps others like ios).
This would allow a tranistion from whatsup to some open protocol.

In addition on webos an integration into synergy would be great.

Last edited by MartinH@webos; 05/05/2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: corrected typos
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2014, 01:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

*push* ;-)
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Old 05/05/2014, 06:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

It seems like one approach for getting Telegram into Synergy and hence webOS might be to write a libpurple plugin - that way the work benefits people beyond webOs (and so might get more traction).

The people behind the messaging plugins might be able to better explain how the synergy<->libpurple integration works, but my understanding is that lots of the underlying messaging features are provided by libpurple already? It looks like this repo https://github.com/filmor/webos-messaging still gets a decent amount of love (well, compared to most webOS stuff) but I'm not sure if that's all still in a state to work on 2.24 etc.
Jonny.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2014, 09:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I don't know if this is a practical suggestion, but if anyone want's to pursue these new options for a messaging app, I'd strongly suggest making it compatible with Open webOS (or at least easily portable). Probably using Enyo1 for the UI. If you wish to continue with webOS, you may dream of LG saving it, but there's no sign they will release a phone. The Port is currently the only game in town. It will get a nice boost if there are apps and services ready for it. Also there's even a chance that your Enyo app could make you some money if it's in LG's TV app store.

Basically, I'm suggesting that developing for a zombie platform may have some value if the app can move to future versions and other platforms.

In fact, the Ports team are saying that a messaging app is needed, so a nice interface, with SMS and synergy for other services such as whatsapp & telegram could become the default app for Open webOS...
Old 05/07/2014, 07:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Is any of this code useful?
Synergy Messaging Plugins for the Touchpad