Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #141  
    Oh yeah, that...

I assume this is either a big fix or not fixable (?).

I suppose some apps only use this and can't use GPS (though of course, that doesn't work so well inside). Is there a good design practice or protocol that says, "Use data connection, or use GPS, or default to manual entry", though I guess the assumption is that if an app needs to connect to the internet, location via a remote service will be possible.

If anyone has any details on this (especially possible fixes), I'll add them to the front page. Geo-location isn't an app as such, but it is dead or at least a zombie...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/24/2016 at 12:31 PM.
  2.    #142  
    Request for Clarification:
    With Geo-location, my understanding is that the problem is with a service from Google that locates via the internet. Such a service is complimentary to, but less accurate than GPS - you can get a rough position while waiting for a GPS lock or when inside a building.
    1. I assume this somehow maps IP addresses to approximate locations.
    2. Presumably, this service has either changed API or been closed, so any apps attempting to locate this way may have limited or no function.
    3. No doubt there is an alternative. Is it theoretically possible to implement on webOS? (Yes, apparently) Would it be a big job or fairly simple?
    4. Is the service called from the OS or by individual apps? If the OS, then one fix solves a lot. If by apps, then many will probably stay broken. - Seems that it is the OS, so that's good news

If anyone can clarify the accuracy of the above points, that would be great.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/24/2016 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Request for Clarification:
    With Geo-location, my understanding is that the problem is with a service from Google that locates via the internet. Such a service is complimentary to, but less accurate than GPS - you can get a rough position while waiting for a GPS lock or when inside a building.
    1. I assume this somehow maps IP addresses to approximate locations.
    2. Presumably, this service has either changed API or been closed, so any apps attempting to locate this way may have limited or no function.
    3. No doubt there is an alternative. Is it theoretically possible to implement on webOS? Would it be a big job or fairly simple?
    4. Is the service called from the OS or by individual apps? If the OS, then one fix solves a lot. If by apps, then many will probably stay broken.

If anyone can clarify the accuracy of the above points, that would be great.
    Dkirker has been working on this, and I believe posted about it on here or Twitter.

/hp-touchpad/330935-bing-google-maps-location-unavailable-post3444858.html
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/24/2016 at 09:33 AM.
  4.    #144  
    I did a search.
    Bing and Google maps location unavailable?

So dkirker seems to think a fix is possible - which suggests it's an OS level thing. Google have changed something that breaks the service on webOS. It might be possible to build a fix that allows various services to be used as others are available. Work on this stuff is currently being done for LuneOS, so possibly the best solution would be to get that in good shape and port it to legacy (so easy to say when you're not a coder!)

So if anyone wants to help on LuneOS or help dkirker (who seems to be very busy and is also our hope for a better browser), then please do!
    I did a search.
    Bing and Google maps location unavailable?

So dkirker seems to think a fix is possible - which suggests it's an OS level thing. Google have changed something that breaks the service on webOS. It might be possible to build a fix that allows various services to be used as others are available. Work on this stuff is currently being done for LuneOS, so possibly the best solution would be to get that in good shape and port it to legacy (so easy to say when you're not a coder!)

So if anyone wants to help on LuneOS or help dkirker (who seems to be very busy and is also our hope for a better browser), then please do!
    GPS is working fine on LuneOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    GPS is working fine on LuneOS
    Well it's Mozilla Location Services we're using in LuneOS (not Google Location Services and not hardware GPS currently either). Therefore it's not very accurate (15km for me :P).

I had a look into decompiling /usr/binmojolocation binary. There seems to be only one reference to a Google address and that seems not to be a relevant one? http://jmt24.google.com/dev/r?sky=tchma
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive and MikeN68 like this.
    Tonight there was an update released for the (third-party) Facebook Messenger client for BB10 which gave me the idea to compare it to the awesome QuickChat for Facebook app (for webOS). I opened it up on my Pre3 and was told my session had expired. Needless to say I was rudely reminded that due to API changes it could no longer connect.

It's really unfortunate how many important apps have broken in the last year. Between Facebook, QuickChat for Facebook, MojoWhatsup, Spotify, Slacker Radio, and possibly Google Location services in general it's becoming increasingly bleak.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Tonight there was an update released for the (third-party) Facebook Messenger client for BB10 which gave me the idea to compare it to the awesome QuickChat for Facebook app (for webOS). I opened it up on my Pre3 and was told my session had expired. Needless to say I was rudely reminded that due to API changes it could no longer connect.

It's really unfortunate how many important apps have broken in the last year. Between Facebook, QuickChat for Facebook, MojoWhatsup, Spotify, Slacker Radio, and possibly Google Location services in general it's becoming increasingly bleak.
    Slacker isn't totally broken, it works fine if you have a subscription. It was only killed for free listening.
    Add wInNeR (Preware PW) to the list of broken apps, which is sad for me since it was a great text-based mobile-optimized web browser where you could choose any font-size you like without ever having to scroll horizontally and included a night (dark) reading mode too:

webOS Intelligent News Reader - "wInNeR"

or

App Homepage:
    http://www.webosnation.com/winner
    Last edited by UI Designer; 03/08/2016 at 07:15 PM.
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    Add wInNeR (Preware PW) to the list of broken apps, which is sad for me since it was a great text-based mobile-optimized web browser where you could choose any font-size you like without ever having to scroll horizontally and included a night (dark) reading mode too:

webOS Intelligent News Reader - "wInNeR" - webOS Nation Forums

Or

Replied on the relevant thread.

I can confirm the behaviour, so I'll add it to the list. I suspect this app can be fixed.
  11.    #151  
    bill2455 & gazaud report that Weather Dashboard HD has stopped working, so I have added it to the list. I'd guess a server or API change, so a patch may be possible, but it could be that a service has been shutdown.

UPDATE: gazaud reports that Weather Dashboard HD appears to use the Yahoo Weather service (which in turn uses data from The Weather Channel).

Other, functional weather apps are available!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/05/2016 at 08:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    bill2455 & gazaud report that Weather Dashboard HD has stopped working, so I have added it to the list. I'd guess a server or API change, so a patch may be possible, but it could be that a service has been shutdown.

UPDATE: gazaud reports that Weather Dashboard HD appears to use the Yahoo Weather service (which in turn uses data from The Weather Channel).

Other, functional weather apps are available!
    I also posted this here:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...ml#post3446337

Yahoo's API and URLs changed, I have to fix this in a linux weather app I use @ work (i3-weather). The new URL (if we can get in and fix any of them- I haven't looked) is:

http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?w={}&u={}
    Where w={} is w=woeid and u={} is your units. For example, I am in Boise, ID and my string would be:

2366355 is the woeid for Boise, and 'f' for Farenheight.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    And Yahoo' API changed again...

https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/
    Preemptive likes this.
  14.    #154  
    Instagrio got API'd or something yesterday. Info on the link:
    instagram for webOS (instagrio 0.0.4)
  15.    #155  
    USA Today

Apparently the category feeds are not connecting, though pictures still download

Problem with USA Today app

Is a patch possible?

USA TODAY Mobile Apps | USAToday

UPDATE: FIXED!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/12/2016 at 04:44 PM.
    looks like translator hd is not working, tablet and pre3. At least on my devices, anyone else?

Thanks,
    KB
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
  17.    #157  
    This is not a support thread. Try to solve your problem before posting here. Ensure that the problem is not unique to you.
    However, I'm not one to throw my toys out of the pram - not least because I'm especially fond of the squeaky dinosaur.

I can't find evidence of this app called Translator HD. Maybe it has it's own original thread or you can make one. Please specify the exact name (there are few options for a descriptive name that aren't Translate or Translator) and the developer.

There's this: Translator

And these:
    App Gallery | webOS Nation

Is it this? Translator | webOS Nation

These apps appear to use the Google translate service. I suppose it's possible the API has changed and likely a patch can be made. I have only ever used this service in the browser and that works.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/19/2016 at 08:43 PM.
    Those are the ones, with the German flag in the back ground.
    The HD version I have is for the touchpad only I think.
    It references "Powered by Google", so maybe a link went bad.

Kurt.
  19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    Those are the ones, with the German flag in the back ground.
    The HD version I have is for the touchpad only I think.
    It references "Powered by Google", so maybe a link went bad.

Kurt.
    I can't find it in Preware, so can't test. If it is simply an English German translator, then this one works:
    Dict.cc Translator | webOS Nation

Or make a bookmark for https://translate.google.de/m/translate
    The touchpad version could translate most common languages and had a sound button to hear the correct pronunciation. I can send you the IPK to test?

Kurt.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast