webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > The Weather Channel App not working?
The Weather Channel App not working?
Like Tree21Likes

Old 01/17/2014, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

I can't get the Weather Channel app to work the past 2 days, I removed it and reinstalled, get "failed to connect, please try again later" on my Pre3.
Lumberjack tells me:
(The Weather Channel) Error: ~~~~~ CC ERROR: {"message": "Object 10.0 has no method 'toFixed'", "stack": "TypeError: Object 10.0 has no method 'toFixed'\n at english (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/utils/twcConverter.js:21:22)\n at Object.formatBasedOnRegion (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/utils/locale.js:38:20)\n at [object Object].visibility (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/utils/twcConverter.js:26:37)\n at CurrentConditionsAssistant.fillWx (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/assistants/current-conditions-assistant.js:74:27)\n at WeatherController.callback (InstallPrototypeBuiltIn:282:23)\n at WeatherController.receiveData (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/assistants/weather-controller.js:78:10)\n at [object Object].cb_success (InstallPrototypeBuiltIn:28
Old 01/17/2014, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I can't get the Weather Channel app to work the past 2 days, I removed it and reinstalled, get "failed to connect, please try again later" on my Pre3.
Lumberjack tells me:
(The Weather Channel) Error: ~~~~~ CC ERROR: {"message": "Object 10.0 has no method 'toFixed'", "stack": "TypeError: Object 10.0 has no method 'toFixed'\n at english (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/utils/twcConverter.js:21:22)\n at Object.formatBasedOnRegion (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/utils/locale.js:38:20)\n at [object Object].visibility (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/utils/twcConverter.js:26:37)\n at CurrentConditionsAssistant.fillWx (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/assistants/current-conditions-assistant.js:74:27)\n at WeatherController.callback (InstallPrototypeBuiltIn:282:23)\n at WeatherController.receiveData (file:///media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.weather.palm/app/assistants/weather-controller.js:78:10)\n at [object Object].cb_success (InstallPrototypeBuiltIn:28
They changed the URL that the mobile apps use (at least in iPhone and Android), will look at the URL's and see if we can patch the app to the new URL.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by fjherbert, Grabber5.0, MrGan
Old 01/17/2014, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you are *really* fast, you can use a back gesture and tap the radar button, then you can switch to the forecast. Only current conditions is affected.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carldc likes this.
Old 01/17/2014, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice... I tried to send an email to the support address in the app, but that account doesn't exist anymore. I want to let them know we are still out here. I guess I'll have to dig through their website...

I submitted an 'idea' on their support site, but I really want to send this email too.
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/17/2014 at 03:24 PM.
Thanked By: fjherbert
Old 01/17/2014, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

huh...I noticed that few days ago but though my phone was acting up/taking it's time to switch from wifi to cell data...
It needs patching if somebody knows the right url.
Old 01/17/2014, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

heck with that app, use the mobile web address instead:

mw.weather.com/home/30075?family=webkit

the numbers are YOUR ZIPCODE (or whatever zip you want. bookmark as many towns as you like and they show in your browser launcher. or "add town" at bottom of the mobile page)

it seems you have to type that address in manually. i've tried to just google search and link to it, but sometimes it redirects to the desktop site or x.weather.com which is no good either.

mw.weather loads fast, no ads.
i mainly use the hourly, 10-day, national map current weather, and local radar. takes seconds to check the weather, and no tabloid headlines like their desktop site. current temp and radar are the first things you see. it's the most - no, only - efficient thing i've seen that's TWC
TJs11thPre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2014, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Also, the "WHERE" app has a good weather app
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bethel95 likes this.
Thanked By: bethel95
Old 01/17/2014, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

You're not suggesting that webOS users change their habits are you?

Liked by TJs11thPre and fjherbert like this.
Old 01/17/2014, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
If you are *really* fast, you can use a back gesture and tap the radar button, then you can switch to the forecast. Only current conditions is affected.
I can confirm. I figured that one out, too. You basically have to back-gesture and instantly tap where the radar button is located even before the icon shows up. You can actually get to everything BUT current conditions. I've even been able to get current conditions for other locations (sometimes). However, local current conditions always returns the failure notice. A shame. I added the AccuWeather app, but -- while it's pretty good -- there are some ways in which it is just not as good as the Weather Channel app.

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 01/17/2014, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
While TWC app is broken, feel free to use Dash Weather+!
I do have Dash Weather, but like the Weather Channel app for it's radar. Much better than AccuWeather. But Accuweather actually gives a forecast for 10 days instead of TWC showing hi/lo & precipitation chances. I also have AniWeather to enjoy the visual of rain or snow.
Old 01/17/2014, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Radar Just Weather Mobile

Last edited by laingman; 01/17/2014 at 07:56 PM.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2014, 08:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
that'd work if they had a city near me....
Old 01/17/2014, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
that'd work if they had a city near me....
Point is if you look around you may find something better than the big name weather apps
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2014, 12:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

I found the issue and will post a patch when I get it made. I think they must have changed a number in the data response to a string, because it was throwing an exception trying to convert it into a fixed decimal number. I just added *1 to the value to convert it back to a number. (and added a bunch of logging that I won't include in the patch). I also commented out some calls to push the error scene in several views - it shouldn't cause anything too strange to happen, but let me know if it does.

Edit: I just noticed broncot posted the error message in the first post - that is the function I fixed.

Here is the patch file:
Attached Files
File Type: patch weatherchannel.patch (5.3 KB, 171 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/05/2014 at 01:16 AM.
Liked by broncot, casiouser, carldc and 5 others like this.
Old 02/05/2014, 10:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Nice patch...

You also fix the size issue in the Pre3 (index.html) (I had already done that and your patch failed)

So I had to fix the twcConverter.js manually, thanks for the solution...

I did not install your patch on any other device, just used your solution (so I can not say if it works), but I did modify the twcConverter.js file on all my other device and they work fine..

Tested the solution (of add *1) on Verizon PixiPlus, PrePlus, Pre2, Pre3, AT&T Veer, Touchpad and Touchpad Go they all worked.

FYI on the Touchpad/Touchpad Go you can also update appinfo with the "uiRevision":2 string and it will bring it full screen (the app was not designed for this so a lot of the things do not match up like the arrows and the map but it still works).

Last edited by John Steffes; 02/05/2014 at 10:22 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ericlf
Old 02/05/2014, 10:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks. I threw the Pre3 change in last-minute after testing on my Pre3 and remembering how annoying it was. I tested the patch on my Pre3 and Pre+

I tried the uiRevision on the Touchpad once. I decided it wasn't worth it.

Old 02/06/2014, 01:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Tried installing on my Pre3 via Internalz and got an error message (even after deleting and reinstalling app and rebooting). Then I tried with WOSQI -- worked like a charm! Bye-bye AccuWeather...welcome back Weather Channel!
Thanks for the patch!

PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
Liked by Grabber5.0 and Santopadre like this.
Old 02/06/2014, 01:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carldc View Post
Tried installing on my Pre3 via Internalz and got an error message (even after deleting and reinstalling app and rebooting). Then I tried with WOSQI -- worked like a charm! Bye-bye AccuWeather...welcome back Weather Channel!
Thanks for the patch!
Do you recall the error message or get a look at the ipkg log? I don't recall now whether I installed both with Internalz or only WOSQI.. I'll have to check.

Thanked By: petbull
Old 02/06/2014, 07:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

Grabber, I can't thank you enough. I really missed that app, especially with the weather we have been having. Used WOSQI and it fixed everything. works great again. Just in time for the next storm. And thankfully, the app doesn't feel the need to name every storm like the actual weather channel!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 02/06/2014, 10:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Do you recall the error message or get a look at the ipkg log? I don't recall now whether I installed both with Internalz or only WOSQI.. I'll have to check.
Fortunately, I thought to get a screen capture of the error message. It's attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png internalz_2014-06-02_005920.png (74.2 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment

Thanked By: Grabber5.0