Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    I just looked at the map in the browser (mw.weather.com/home/43085?family=webkit) on my Pre3 and it shows the map, but no activity. It's snowing in Columbus right now, so that should show. none of the selections show activity.

So, maybe the issue isn't with the app but with the weather channel? At least it's place to focus.
    so if I go to mw.weather.com/home/43085?family=webkit, the radar map is not working, even on my desktop using google chrome. So that leads me to believe that the app is working and showing what it is being given. The weather channel map is not updating.

If I scroll through their different map options, they all seem to be working except the US visible satellite map and the local maps. I sent them an email bringing this to their attention. Now we can wait and see what happens...
    Last edited by petbull; 01/09/2015 at 06:42 AM.
    Yeah the local maps on their mobile website show nothing except the map regardless of the option selected. The full site works fine.
    Well the local map does look blank. But when i open the Map Center national maps I see images for satellite and radar clouds:

I don't know if the local radar is older technology and doesn't see any precipitation now, but there's none in the US borders on the current conditions I just posted.

It could be broken, but there's not enough precip happening for me to confirm that confidently
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/10/2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: discarding irrelevant images
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    all the maps work except the US satellite and the local maps (also satellite maps)
    OK I can confirm the issue here too. Sorry so late to the party..

But I have confirmed radar is working on the mobile site. Try this instead:
    The Weather Channel ( m.weather.com/mapcenter_local/30064 and sub your zip of course).

That's my backup when MW. doesn't load right. I never ever go to weather.com main site. Ugh I hate that page.

There must be something wrong for that visible satellite map to be blank though.
    that works, but I still prefer the app. I hope they get it fixed, but they have not responded to my email at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    that works, but I still prefer the app. I hope they get it fixed, but they have not responded to my email at all.
    I don't know who is in charge of their web products, but I'd love to look them in the face.

Their website is a mess. Navigating it is a nightmare. Keep reminding them! Ill see if i can add to that.

Good luck.
    petbull likes this.
    They go a little crazy with the ads too... Most commercial weather sites seem to love ads
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    well, it has been 10 days with no response from the weather channel. and the maps are still not working. Anyone else want to send them an email and see if quantity gets a response? I'm going to ask again and then wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    well, it has been 10 days with no response from the weather channel. and the maps are still not working. Anyone else want to send them an email and see if quantity gets a response? I'm going to ask again and then wait...
    I've been using the feedback link that's within the MW.weather site I referred earlier. I sent a few stating the radar and satellite maps are not illustrating precipitation.

But one of the visible satellite maps I recently noticed the cloud covered all of the US from the west coast to about Colorado, then cut off in a straight line from Canada to Mexico. This made me think maybe there is a satellite down that does the central and eastern US. It could be something that's not fixed until a new satellite is sent up? Idk. I'm not impressed with TWC web products at all.

But we may as well keep pestering them.

I haven't tried Google searching if others are making this same complaint somewhere. Not like this is a webOS issue. But there may be additional info about the issue. I am not riding so much right now or I'd be more frustrated.
    I don't know what might be wrong with their web maps, but looking at the way the app adds the overlays on webOS devices, it appears either something was changed or is not working on the back-end. On webOS, the function that adds the overlay calls a back-end API by adding a JavaScript to the DOM using a server URL with some parameters (JSONP essentially). There is an id parameter in the request that is not being echoed back in the response JSON, and this causes an error-check to fail in the app prior to the iterating through the response and generating the URLs for the overlay tiles to add to the map. @petbull - this is the stuff I referred to earlier as an odd way to add an overlay - at least it seems odd to me. It appears as if they are using their own mapping library that is a combination of front-end and back-end code.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/21/2015 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I don't know what might be wrong with their web maps, but looking at the way the app adds the overlays on webOS devices, it appears either something was changed or is not working on the back-end. On webOS, the function that adds the overlay calls a back-end API by adding a JavaScript to the DOM using a server URL with some parameters (JSONP essentially). There is an id parameter in the request that is not being echoed back in the response JSON, and this causes an error-check to fail in the app prior to the iterating through the response and generating the URLs for the overlay tiles to add to the map. @petbull - this is the stuff I referred to earlier as an odd way to add an overlay - at least it seems odd to me. It appears as if they are using their own mapping library that is a combination of front-end and back-end code.
    I'm sorry, what?
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Yeah I was just going to say exactly that.

Not! Ha I wish I knew about that stuff too.

I just sent another feedback on their website about mobile web having no active radar or via sat. I guess keep sending the reports. My feedback requests issuing an acknowledgement of the issue and eTA so we can stop.
    Grabber5.0 and petbull like this.
    I called them twice today to report the problem. First time I got a person, second was sent to VM. I'm going to start calling them everyday...
    Hmm, their mobile website (the last link) is using Google maps now... That's not a great sign for the app. But maybe 72ka can add radar to Google Maps for us.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Ya know, I inspected the mobile map, and it uses a similar (or the same) API, and the response looks very much the same. Maybe there is hope to fix the app to work with the updated response...
    petbull likes this.
    So far no luck with this, but I feel like I'm getting closer. Trying to figure out the last 25% of this map tiling logic.
    TJs11thPre and petbull like this.
    can someone pls upload the weather channel ipk. I got the patch, but lost the app ipk. thx.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast