webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Bye, bye Zite...
Bye, bye Zite...
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By joeytino
  • 1 Post By johncc
  • 1 Post By FormFactor

Old 12/09/2013, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Received this message from Zite customer support tonight...

I'm sorry to inform you that we have decided to shut down Zite for the WebOS platform. We kept Zite alive for 2 years after HP made the decision to stop supporting and we can no longer support WebOS. We had a problem with our system that supports WebOS a few days ago and when we looked into the problem it would require a lot of work to fix the system and maintain it in the future. I hope you understand our difficult decision to halt support for WebOS and we invite you to join us on the iOS or Android platforms.

Sorry and thanks for all the loyalty on WebOS,

Trent

I guess it was only a matter of time, but it still bites as Zite is my top app and I was not all that thrilled with the new design. Man being WebOS user is getting pretty tough these days...
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by polarbernd likes this.
Thanked By: polarbernd
Old 12/09/2013, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I got the same response. I agree that the zite webOS app was superb. Sorry to see it go. It was part of my daily routine.
Old 12/09/2013, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

See this thread for a partial fix.

Zite still working on Touchpad
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 12/09/2013, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

have to try the fix soon, coz i dont want to use the android version, i find its new changes not so good and its joined the ranks of apps that want to suck as much personal data off you as it can manage if you allow it.

for something like a news app, esp a good one zite one was, i preferred just loading the app and bam everything i want is there hassle free, not reminders to make an account or add heaps of topics i dont want, or allowing access to permissions you dont believe it really needs.

i used it religiously on the touchpad, dont have it anymore on android and never bothered with most things on ios either so dont know how that version compares.
Old 12/10/2013, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
have to try the fix soon, coz i dont want to use the android version, i find its new changes not so good and its joined the ranks of apps that want to suck as much personal data off you as it can manage if you allow it.

for something like a news app, esp a good one zite one was, i preferred just loading the app and bam everything i want is there hassle free, not reminders to make an account or add heaps of topics i dont want, or allowing access to permissions you dont believe it really needs.

i used it religiously on the touchpad, dont have it anymore on android and never bothered with most things on ios either so dont know how that version compares.
The fix works perfectly except for the lack of images on the home page. It's an indispensable fix!
FormFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 12/10/2013, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for proving my post wrong. It would have been nice for the Zite team to have provided this fix though.

Thanks once again to those still on webosnations that keep this ship running. I know our numbers are diminishing, but some of us still keep the faith.
Old 12/10/2013, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I feel I must check out this Zite that people seem to like so much.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2013, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Funny that with an app store sooo small we still miss a lot of good apps. Never new about Zite till now.

Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2013, 03:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
Funny that with an app store sooo small we still miss a lot of good apps. Never new about Zite till now.
Caution! It's addictive!
Old 12/11/2013, 04:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
I'm not sure what you mean with 'small'. Even browsing through the App Catalog in Dec 2013 it takes me a couple of hours to make my way through all of the store.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2013, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Zite is a brilliant app and shows off what great apps that were overlooked in general. To be honest, full credit to Zite for supporting the app so long after HP shut down webOS and their decision to withdraw support due to infrastructure complexity to me is reasonable. So glad there is a fix!
maninwhitecoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2013, 07:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

I hate the new version on Android. So much so that I have stopped using Zite altogether. Such a shame. The old version on webOS is way better than the newer version and Zite is shutting it down.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2013, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Loved Zite, dislike the android version. But that really was one of the last reasons I was using webos on my Touchpad daily.
crazybirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2013, 10:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
Thank you for proving my post wrong. It would have been nice for the Zite team to have provided this fix though.

Thanks once again to those still on webosnations that keep this ship running. I know our numbers are diminishing, but some of us still keep the faith.
Wouldn't it be better to post here: Zite still working on Touchpad

There have been more developments and you'll bump a thread with a more optimistic title.

Or maybe these threads can merge..?
Old 12/12/2013, 05:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Wouldn't it be better to post here: Zite still working on Touchpad

There have been more developments and you'll bump a thread with a more optimistic title.

Or maybe these threads can merge..?
Good idea.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote