Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    will have to wait to test

Enviado desde mi Wildfire S usando Tapatalk 2
    Chrome apps are not really new... nor is it new that you can easily do cross platform webapps for iOS and Android that also run in Chrome apps System or on webOS. The thing that is new is that they now offer some kind of tool for it... I'm not really sure what the tool does... because cordova is there already (and even had support for webOS once). If that pushes visibility of cordova a bit, that's a good thing.
    On the other hand: I did not recognize chrome apps as very active place, yet... when I last looked into it there were quite some apps there, but most of it were clearly stuff that was targeted at different systems and just published there also, because it was so easy. At least that was my impression.
    The Chrome Apps empire could be coming to iOS | HTML5 - InfoWorld

The toolkit employs Apache Cordova, a way for mobile app developers to use JavaScript to access native device functionality on a variety of mobile platforms. This includes not just iOS and Android, but also Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Palm WebOS, Symbian, and Bada.
    Anything that brings more apps to this platform can only be good - assuming can = will. Notice that some devs are making Enyo apps, but not building them for webOS, though I suppose requests will be heard favourably as apparently it's an easy process.

From the same site:
    Node.js boosts load balancing, adds to API ahead of 1.0 release | Javascript - InfoWorld

Is this good news for Enyo? I think it's based on node.jsjsjs
    No no.. don't mix up Enyo and node.jsjsjs $and$ $webOS$.

Enyo is the UI framework. If you are already using Enyo + Phonegap then it is pretty easy to use it with webOS, too. Unless you use one of the latest Phonegap versions that lost webOS support. You can't blame them, really... they did some major changes to their library and apparently nobody stood up to do that for the webOS part. Those changes were quite necessary. The old webOS guys still working in the enyo team told me and some other devs, that they are working on getting webOS support back in.. don't know how real that is, though. :-( I hope we'll get something there. We would probably also need some version of cordova for open webOS. There are quite some changes happened there with luna-next.

Anyway, Phonegap + Enyo is the UI / web app side of things. The issue from a dev perspective always is: It says it is platform independent. That might be true for the most parts of it... but it never is 100% platform independent. You can't just tick webOS on the build server and submit the IPK to the app catalog. You don't have to rewrite the whole app for webOS (or any other OS), but you'll need to do testing and find out all those little quirks and eliminate them. Probably you can keep the changes small and all in the same codebase, that's true... but I never ever saw a mobile web app that was truly running without modifications on more than one platform.
    For an impression you could just browse a bit here PhoneGap API Documentation and see on how many pages it lists webOS under "supported Platforms" (or any other platform). So you already have to think about that..

Then there is the UI. webOS has a very different resolution, than current phones. In fact, webOS was really lacking in screen resolution already shortly after its release... the Pre3 was the first phone to be on par with 2010 flag-ship-phones (yeah, that's right, it was already outdated in that aspect at its non-release). Today you usually have some 720p or even 1080p resolutions on the phones and often even more on the tablets. There is some mechanics to ease the resolution / screen size / apsect ratio stuff for you. But it's still not 100% automatic, not even with enyo. And you have to be really careful to properly use them.
    In fact those issues are the reason why webos ports is currently rewriting all the system apps (or tries too, there is just to few man power). They were not usable on those high resolution devices (i.e. the Galaxy Nexus!).

Node.jsjsjs $on$ $the$ $other$ $hand$ $is$ $only$ $used$ $in$ $webOS$ $for$ $background$ $services$. $If$ $you$ $start$ $to$ $write$ $a$ $node$.$js$ $service$, $you$ $are$ $highly$ $webOS$ $specific$. $And$ $you$ $usually$ $do$ $not$ $work$ $with$ $enyo$ $there$, $because$ $enyo$ $concentrates$ $on$ $UI$ $a$ $lot$. $You$ $can$ $use$ $node$.$js$ $modules$ ($if$ $they$ $don$'$t$ $include$ $binaries$). $If$ $you$ $find$ $a$ $cool$ $node$.$js$ $module$, $maybe$ $somebody$ $can$ $build$ $something$ $out$ $of$ $it$.
    But: there is the version issue. A new version of node.jsjsjs $will$ $only$ $help$ $open$ $webOS$. $Legacy$ $webOS$ $is$ $stuck$ $with$ $node$.$js$ $0$.$2$.$3$ ($or$ $was$ $it$ $0$.$2$.$7$?) $on$ $the$ $Phones$ $and$ $0$.$6$ $on$ $the$ $TP$ ($till$ $webOS$ $3$.$0$.$4$ $it$ $had$ $0$.$4$). $There$ $happened$ $A$ $LOT$ $of$ $changes$ $in$ $node$.$js$ $from$ $0$.$2$ $to$ $0$.$10$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $if$ $anybody$ $ever$ $tried$ $to$ $replace$ $node$.$js$ $on$ $the$ $TP$ $with$ $a$ $newer$ $version$... $probably$ $it$ $will$ $break$ $some$ $stuff$. Also probably newer node.jsjsjs $modules$ $are$ $not$ $running$ $well$ $on$ $the$ $TP$ $or$ $Phones$. $But$ $that$ $always$ $depends$ $a$ $lot$ $on$ $the$ $module$.

I don't mean to bring anyone down. Just wanted to give some technical insights (especially about the fact that enyo and node.jsjsjs $do$ $not$ $have$ $anything$ $in$ $common$, $not$ $even$ $on$ $webOS$) $and$ $prevent$ $too$ $high$ $hopes$.
    Fair enough, my technical knowledge is limited. You seem to think there is some use for Open webOS and that is the future. Legacy gets the occasional HB improvement, but we can only cross our fingers for the Port.

On resolution, there comes a point where it meets viewing distance and is effectively 'retina', so maybe something around HD 1920 x 1080 for a phone is all you will ever need (Phablets, tablets are another thing). Support for this may be a plateau. Of course, the next obvious plateau is 4K so support for this should come from LG...

...still just guessing here! ;-)
    Garfonso nailed it. Legacy webOS is in a tough spot framework-wise.

I chuckle every time I read about platform independence for apps and frameworks handling the resolution differences for the developers. Anyone that's done web page development knows better. Nothing is free.
    Of course webOS support is coming back in Phonegap. How else is LG gonna convince people to make/port apps for their new webOS TV's? Relying on "just Enyo" would be a bad move, Phonegap could close the gap.
    I'm not so sure LG planned that far ahead...
    This guy:
    Web developers: support a mobile OS that supports the web

Seems to have a jsjsjs $framework$ $that$ $supports$ $webOS$ $2$.$0$+
    Jo HTML5 Mobile App Framework Documentation

Never heard of it. Anyone? Maybe I should add it to the status report?
    I knew Dave developed Jo, but I didn't know he was still actively working on it. I will have to read over the documentation and play around with it a bit.
    Dave went away from webOS. Also the latest changes talk a lot about Tizen. Jo talks a bit about webOS, but not sure if it's still actively supported?
    Looks like an easy alternative to enyo.
    Hey, thanks for the link! Yes, Jo is still actively supported, although I took a long hiatus from it. The latest release is 0.5.0, and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $should$ $still$ $work$ $with$ $webOS$. $I$'$ll$ $be$ $honest$ $though$, $I$ $wasn$'$t$ $sure$ $the$ $interest$ $was$ $still$ $there$, $so$ $I$ $haven$'$t$ $been$ $actively$ $testing$ $on$ $webOS$.

So... who's still developing for webOS? Seriously, I still get the occasional payment from my old webOS apps, so I'm interested in getting feedback.
    Dave Balmer, Gobico Games

Thanks for your support! Check out Wobble Words 2 and Poker Drops available now in the App Catalog for Palm Pre and Pixi, and follow us on Twitter @GobicoGames to get the latest news.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalmer View Post
    Yes, Jo is still actively supported,
    Interesting ! Never looked into Jo.
    Is there any comparision of Jo with Enyo 2.3 (MVC pattern)?
    I follow the Enyo development as I want to use Enyo mainly for webos apps and use them in browsers too.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I have a probably naive question. If chromium is open source, can our homebrew gurus adapt open webos run it with some effort? I'm playing with chromium on ubuntu and it seems better than firefox. But more importantly chromium can run chrome web apps. So if we could run chromium on open webos, the lack of apps on webos can be filled somewhat.
    Hey, thanks for the link! Yes, Jo is still actively supported, although I took a long hiatus from it. The latest release is 0.5.0, and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $should$ $still$ $work$ $with$ $webOS$. $I$'$ll$ $be$ $honest$ $though$, $I$ $wasn$'$t$ $sure$ $the$ $interest$ $was$ $still$ $there$, $so$ $I$ $haven$'$t$ $been$ $actively$ $testing$ $on$ $webOS$.

So... who's still developing for webOS? Seriously, I still get the occasional payment from my old webOS apps, so I'm interested in getting feedback.
    I still develope for webOS. But I never really looked int Jo. Maybe I'll do for my next project, because Enyo 2.x is getting me a hard time, sometimes... Jo seems a bit less restrictive and easier to comprehend.
    Then I'll add this to the Status Report as a project.

And another free plug: Jo HTML5 Mobile App Framework: appbackr Tizen promotion

Anyone who wants to try making a Tizen app? With Jo, it should work for webOS too, so it's a potential win win.

...oh, that probably means I'll have to write an article on it at some point if you're interested..?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/09/2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Go for it. Guess it's time to charge up some of the webOS test devices I have around here. Honestly, I miss my Veer. Best little smartphone ever.

Thanks for your support! Check out Wobble Words 2 and Poker Drops available now in the App Catalog for Palm Pre and Pixi, and follow us on Twitter @GobicoGames to get the latest news.
    Go for it. Guess it's time to charge up some of the webOS test devices I have around here. Honestly, I miss my Veer. Best little smartphone ever.
    $69 new on Amazon.

I need to check Jo out.. Is Phonegap required for all apps on devices or only for accessing OS-specific functionality? I haven't ever messed with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    $69 new on Amazon.

I need to check Jo out.. Is Phonegap required for all apps on devices or only for accessing OS-specific functionality? I haven't ever messed with it.
    PhoneGap (or similar product) is required for iOS and Android... also BlackBerry 10 (though, their web SDK *is* PhoneGap now, at least, Cordova; same thingish). Tizen, Chrome, webOS and FireFox OS don't require PhoneGap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast