Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
  • 2 Post By gizmo21
  • 1 Post By kevets
  1.    #1  
    Inspired by an heise.de article , i wonder if we could use older Pre-/Pixi... in our drawers to be reused as hidden car theft detection systems or "where is my car parking"-Live-Tracking systems.

- Pre could be permanently loaded via USB
    - GPS-chip is there

Better than having a permanent dataconnection, would be to send actual position on request via SMS cause you than can even use a cheap Prepaid-SIM (contract).

So what is needed would be an app that acts on special formatted SMSes and then send the position automatically via SMS to my everyday mobile, on which my google maps or Map Tools Pro can show me the position.

Another option (not so comfortable) would be to auto-send SMS on leaving a defined location. But then you would have to set "defined location" by leaving the car (perhaps useable for situations like leaving car 3-weeks for holiday).

Is that even possible with webOS, perhaps by creating a com.palm.app so have access to SMS?
  2.    #2  
    Hhm i think, i just found an Preware app to do this stuff: Homing Device | webOS Nation
    As it seems it's webOS 1.x only, it does fit my need, as my older webos device is 1.x

Homing Device

Now i will have to see if it works out in the car
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Hhm i think, i just found an Preware app to do this stuff: Homing Device | webOS Nation
    As it seems it's webOS 1.x only, it does fit my need, as my older webos device is 1.x

Homing Device

Hey, be sure to let us know. I've got 3 Pre+s lying around--this might be a good use for one of them.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    This could be modified to work on a schedule, so the guy who needed to pay for parking via SMS would have his app..
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Hey, be sure to let us know. I've got 3 Pre+s lying around--this might be a good use for one of them.
    Will do.

Just now i have the problem that my digitizer seems to be ignoring the upper left half screen so i can't get into "telephone - preferences" to deactivate data via phone radio (i need this cause my old 1.4.5. still has my account on which i use on 2.x phone now). And with that digitizer prob, i fear i could not completely initialize a new palm account and be able to press all needed buttons.

Is there a luna-send command to deactivate gprs/umts data completely, or an app like "2G/3G switch" ?
    Oh found one: "Data Toggle" (shame on me)

As data is off now i downloaded package http://cdn.webosnation.com/sites/web..._1.2.0_all.ipk manually on PC and will transfer it via USB (WOSQI would have done it too).

So now tomorrow my new car arrives with an 12V cigarette lighter receptacle in the trunk, so i hope there it will get the GPS signal. Will report back with pictures.

BTW. more usecases for old but working smartphones in the list "Neue Jobs für alte Handys" on the end of the above mentioned article. Like an own build internet radio boombox or electronic door-opener

Homing Device

Or maybe Cell Stalker (on the App Catalog) would work?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    This could be modified to work on a schedule, so the guy who needed to pay for parking via SMS would have his app..
    I was just thinking the same. Such changes are beyond me at the moment though - anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I was just thinking the same. Such changes are beyond me at the moment though - anyone?
    Couldn't you use Mode Switcher for the scheduling?
  9.    #9  
    Or maybe Cell Stalker (on the App Catalog) would work?
    hm couldn't find it:
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...er.cellstalker
    Not sure what you mean--you've got the link, and it shows up in the App Catalog on both my Preł and TouchPad.

11.    #11  
    Not sure what you mean--you've got the link, and it shows up in the App Catalog on both my Preł and TouchPad.
    hmm tell me no valid webOS app, perhaps a country thing i'm on german app cat.

But a good news is that my setup works

-Pre 1 (cell data&WiFi off)
    -App "homing device" (works 1.x only) to send sms with location data on request
    -put phone in trunk near 12V cigarette lighter receptacle (or connect one to any continuous current) and connect to usbcharger.

I even tweaked homing debice a bit so sms also sends coordinates that are recognized by jansons "Location Sharing In Messaging"-patch which can be opened then directly to (bing maps) or be copied in the gmaps homebrew app to display the cars position.

As i also tweaked velocity parameter to km/h i got a correct position sms today on the highway stating correct 124 km/h

So i have to get a prepaid sim card now with foreign cell provider access (for on holday sms requests or car gets "exported" over the border) and have to take some pictures for the forum

Hope battery won't explode in the trunk at higher temps and usb permanent charge won't kill my car battery too fast.
    ==» anyone experiences on those two?
    Rnp likes this.
    I like it!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Rnp likes this.
  13.    #14  
    So a first measure to control temp of in-car-pre was to attach heatsinks with 3M bonding film on the battery-door-removed Pre. I had them in my PC-spareparts box, but they look like these

Now next will be the underclocking with uberkernel and the removal of all unneeded account syncs...

Then perhaps i also will get a burnsave firemat, which are often used for (webOS )-toasters or electric kettles to prevent a fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14.    #15  
    Homing device patch to see km/h instead of mph and ssl for google-maps

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.ac3.homingdevice/app/assistants/maindash-assistant.jsjsjs:
    Code:
    MaindashAssistant.prototype.buildResponseMessage = function(location) {
    	Mojo.Log.info("GPS result: " + Object.toJSON(location));
        Mojo.Log.info("latitude is: " + location.latitude);
        Mojo.Log.info("longitude is: " + location.longitude);
        var mph = (location.velocity * 3.6).toFixed(1); //todo: allow KPH? (* 2.2369363 = mph)
        if (mph <= 0) {
            mph = 0.0;
        }
        var locationURL = "https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=" + location.latitude + "," + location.longitude
                 + "\n Speed: " + mph + " km/h";
    and together with Jasons location message-patch and my fix for URL handler for maploc: , it now even opens the location in homebrew google maps instead of Bing
  15.    #16  
    Still works great after a year and i updated the setting with a LIPO-Sack to prevent a fire of a burning battery (should not be so bad with a Li-Ion but better save than sorry) :
    Brilliant! This seems like a product waiting to be marketed, at least to the webOS community. I wish I had a tracking device in my truck. Just in case kids try to take my old heap for a joyride in the woods.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    PreGo GPS on the webOS phone and MapTool Pro or http://74.117.158.68/shareem/map.php to monitor.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    I tried my best to get homing device on my pre. It is installed, but it doesn't answer to request sms now. I am not sure what I did wrong. The request string is "who" and I tried with all fields empty and also with my telephone number in each field.

any suggests?