• 3 Post By Rnp
  • 3 Post By Vistaus
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By Dsquare
  • 1 Post By Dsquare
  • 3 Post By TJs11thPre
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I love my Palm Pre, but it has begun to malfunction. It powers off on its own sometimes. I will be getting a new Android phone and I hope the many apps that I have downloaded from the app catalog and Homebrew will show up in the Android app store.

I am disappointed that webOS was allowed to just sit and flounder and the amazing features were left to rot and be pilfered. It's one of those gross mismanagement moments.

Hopefully one day webOS will arise from the ashes like a Phoenix and be a contender once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsquare View Post
    I love my Palm Pre, but it has begun to malfunction. It powers off on its own sometimes. I will be getting a new Android phone and I hope the many apps that I have downloaded from the app catalog and Homebrew will show up in the Android app store.

I am disappointed that webOS was allowed to just sit and flounder and the amazing features were left to rot and be pilfered. It's one of those gross mismanagement moments.

Hopefully one day webOS will arise from the ashes like a Phoenix and be a contender once again.
    or you could buy a nice Pre2 for cheapy-cheap on fleabay, keep using all your touchstone, all your spare batteries, and the simplicity of webOS. heck, you can probably swap in your old phone's comm board and your carrier won't know the difference (if you're on CDMA)

there will always be a "latest and greatest new phone" train you can jump on any time. but webOS phones will only be around to enjoy for a little while longer. They'll all disappear eventually. Enjoy it while you can.

or, if you're just going to throw that phone away, i'll take it. i'll send you a prepaid envelope to ship it to me. get it? PRE-paid?? haha

best wishes with your new device. hope you don't suffer too much webOS withdrawal.
    Remy X, Rnp and Vistaus like this.
    The other OS's need the webOS apps?

Because all other stores have "zouzands zzzappssszz"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Remy X, Vistaus and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    or you could buy a nice Pre2 for cheapy-cheap on fleabay, keep using all your touchstone, all your spare batteries, and the simplicity of webOS. heck, you can probably swap in your old phone's comm board and your carrier won't know the difference (if you're on CDMA)

there will always be a "latest and greatest new phone" train you can jump on any time. but webOS phones will only be around to enjoy for a little while longer. They'll all disappear eventually. Enjoy it while you can.

or, if you're just going to throw that phone away, i'll take it. i'll send you a prepaid envelope to ship it to me. get it? PRE-paid?? haha

best wishes with your new device. hope you don't suffer too much webOS withdrawal.
    why do i always see some of you steering people away from buying a current device? yes webos was nice and all but even the pre 3 is 2 years old.

and to the OP if you go android there are plenty of good alternatives out there for devices and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    why do i always see some of you steering people away from buying a current device? yes webos was nice and all but even the pre 3 is 2 years old.

and to the OP if you go android there are plenty of good alternatives out there for devices and apps.
    To each is own. Some people like webOS *that* much to not just give it up and still recommend it to fellow users in doubt. If you want people to move on then that's *your* opinion.
    well if you do go android instead of webOS, dont do what i did and firstly aquire apps you had on webOS, you will find many dont function the same way and become infuriating to use, i made that mistake aquiring Internet Radio Pro HD for shoutcast music, love it on webOS but on android i just had to uninstall it it was that bad (imho).

i'd instead suggest looking at the apps you have on webOS and when looking for an android variant, just googling or scouring androidcentral for other apps that do the same job first, then use your judgement if those apps with their often insanely intrusive permissions is even worth it. This is not only good advice for android but any alternative OS imho.

Noted above was the fact the pre3 is 2 years old, well yeah it is, but its still a good size/shape/spec, and even if by appCat or Preware it has all the core apps most use in 1 way or another, its easy to use, still a decent device imho.

Also the touchpad is just as old and even it is just as good as any tablet you can buy for new today, theres not a single hardware feature it lacks that something today has, i cant think of ANY app you could run on a modern android tablet that you couldnt on a CM9/10 touchpad, and you can still multiboot into other OS as an added bonus and still happily use a touchstone.

apps are still even now all we lack imho, the "old" hardwares still perfectly fine, my pre3 is even underclocked and devolted and it still runs perfectly fine, this plus i have 2 other android phones i "could" use as a primary device if i wanted but i dont because i still find android too much of a fiddle and the good apps are often wanting intrusive and annoying permissions.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X and TJs11thPre like this.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

I'm going to keep the phone and use one of the homebrew apps to turn off data and use on wifi. I still have two TouchPads that I use regularly and I continue to look for apps in the catalog. P.S. I hope the next stable OPen webOS comes out soon. One of the TouchPads was tweeked to run Open webOS.

I wish Sprint had released a PRE2. I was waiting for a long time until Sprint finally said they were not going to carry it. Many times I would receive a call telling me I was eligible for an upgrade. I told them each time I was happy with my current phone and would keep it until it worked no longer.

My Palm Pre is a great phone. I would point out to all the people who used Iphone's how great multitasking was and gesture contols.

Even after my phone dies I will still visit webOS Nation until the site is wiped from the web.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I don't mind the thought and if it was sometimes rediculous expensive to get the other Pre that would be great. Our OS was truely amazing and ahead of its time, but through bad management, and bad decisions, and poor execusion the powers that be never stood behind their product nor did they promote it properly.

We are a passionate bunch and no matter where we go, we will always bleed webOS!!!!!!!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I've always liked how Music Player Remix worked. I don't know how well it has been received on the other platforms.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I've always liked how Music Player Remix worked. I don't know how well it has been received on the other platforms.
    Check it out:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...yer-remix.html

His Android version has some general design improvements which I find quite useful.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    why do i always see some of you steering people away from buying a current device?.
    we aren't steering people AWAY from anything. but we ARE suggesting possible solutions for MAINTAINING the use of webOS.

otherwise, why would they be posting in a webOS forum?

this isn't a general cellphone chat forum, and we're not trying to convince people to stay with webOS, like irrational zealots.

this is a webOS-specific forum. so we all assume the desire here IS to maintain webOS functionality, as the environment becomes increasingly harder for webOS to exist.

anyone can at any time, migrate to newer technology and leave webOS in their past. but then why post here? go ahead and move on. it's highly likely that someday we all will have to whether we want to or not.

but until it's impossible for webOS to function competently, we'll be here discussing how to keep its head above water.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 06/24/2013 at 01:12 PM.
    geekpeter, Grabber5.0 and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Check it out:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...yer-remix.html

His Android version has some general design improvements which I find quite useful.
    his apps in an almost unique minority of well made apps that doesnt want a whole bunch of intrusive/malwarish type permissions.

which is nice to see.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<