Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 3 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    So, Recently I asked about getting Dash Weather off my Palm Pixi and into a Pre. I was directed to the Open Source Dash Weather + over on GitHub. I added the Weather API as directed but I can't find a way to package it all together...

I thought I found what I needed but it isn't working (something called PreLoad Installer). There was another app I found but I couldn't download it becasue the link lead to an empty repository. I didn't bother to rmemebr it since it was an empty link. If it helps there was SUPPOSED to be a Java version and a Windows version of the same app.

Anyway. I'm totally lost here. Any help would be appreciated
    Sounds like you need the Ipk Packager
    There are a couple of things you need to do:
    1. Download the Dash Weather+ app from GitHub
    2. Download the latest Enyo Bootplate source code from EnyoJS.Com
    3. Copy the "enyo" and "lib" folders from the Enyo Bootplate source code to the Dash Weather+ app folder and overwrite the existing (empty) folders.
    4. Add your own API key in "source\App.jsjsjs&$quot$;
    5. You might want to change "demoMode" to "false" in the same "source\App.jsjsjs&$quot$; $so$ $it$ $will$ $try$ $to$ $take$ $your$ $actual$ $location$ $instead$ $of$ $the$ $demo$ $location$ $in$ $the$ $file$.
    4. You can check if the app is working in your browser by loading debug.html

There are a few steps that you still need to do to get it working on your device:
    1. Minify it so the performance gets better (I couldn't get this sorted yet, need to play a bit more I guess).
    2. For packaging, it's been a while since I last packaged something... I used to use palm-package from the SDK for webOS and that worked. I tried now without minifying it, but the app hangs on the start screen, I'm probably doing something obvious wrong, but cannot figure out what exactly.
    Remy X and WknThDg like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    If I can find some time tomorrow, I'll add a little tutorial to the README.
    That would be great! P.s. don't forget to commit the latest changes

I managed to minify it now and package it up, but for some reason it doesn't want to find GPS location on my Veer. It keeps hanging on "Requesting location...", so I guess I messed something up with PhoneGap/Cordova.

So any help would be appreciated
  5.    #5  
    If I can find some time tomorrow, I'll add a little tutorial to the README.
    That would be very helpful, thanks Choorp!

In the meantime I'll try to follow Herrie's directions, but something that has me confused is the Enyo stuff. I was under the impression that none of that stuff worked on original Sprint Palm Pres becasue of the 1.4.5 limitation.

In any case I'm very much looking forward to a tutorial being added to the README
  6.    #6  
    I just finished updating the Dash Weather+ repo. It now includes the latest source code and build instructions.

No need for PhoneGap or anything like that. It works fine without it.

Please note, the widget isn't optimized for phones yet. That'll be a project for this upcoming weekend.
    First I want to say thank you, but there is still a problem.

I know you're a developer and I'm not so that all probably makes sense to you but those instructions are brutally unfriendly, especially for someone like me who is just trying to get his favorite cell phone in a usable state in this post HP Hell-scape.
    1. git clone https://github.com/choorp/dash-weather-plus.git
    2. cd dash-weather-plus
    3. git submodule update --init
    4. Get your own Forecast.io API key and add it to App.jsjsjs $and$ $Widget$.$js$ $Also$ $set$ $demoMode$ $to$ $false$.
    5. From this directory (!important), run 'tools\deploy.bat'
    6. Copy contents of /webos/ to /deploy/dash-weather-plus/
    6. Use an ipk packager to package /deploy/dash-weather-plus/
    7. Install and enjoy!
    Instructions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 are all SUPER vague (yes even 7. How do I install it?). The only one that makes sense is 6, but only becasue it's telling to do something very specific to a specific directory. Is there any way you could elaborate on each step?
    OK here's my tutorial for people NOT using GIT and still wanting to do this in Windows for example:
    There are a couple of things you need to do:
    1. Download the Dash Weather+ app from GitHub (ZIP). Unpack this zip to a folder (lets call it dash-weather-plus for now), you should now have the following folders: assets, enyo, lib, source, tools, webOS and the following files: .gitmodules, debug.html, icon.png, index.html, LICENSE, manifest.webapp, package.jsjsjs, $README$.$md$.
    2. Download the latest Enyo Bootplate source code from EnyoJS.Com
    3. Copy the "enyo" and "lib" folders from the Enyo Bootplate source code to the "dash-weather-plus" folder you created in 1 and overwrite the existing (empty) folders.
    4. Add your own API key in "dash-weather-plus"\source\App.jsjsjs&$quot$; $and$ &$quot$;$dash$-$weather$-$plus$&$quot$;\$source$\$Widget$.$js$&$quot$;. $Double$ $check$ $that$ $the$ &$quot$;$demoMode$&$quot$; $is$ $set$ $to$ &$quot$;$false$&$quot$; $in$ $both$ $files$ $as$ $well$.
    5. You can check if the app is working in your browser by loading "dash-weather-plus"\debug.html

There are a few steps that you still need to do to get it working on your device:
    1. Go to command line (Start->Run->CMD).
    2. Go to your "dash-weather-plus" directory and enter "call tools\deploy.bat" without the quotes. This will minify the application so it will be quicker on your device.
    3. It should complete without error messages. The minified application will be in "dash-weather-plus"\deploy
    \dash-weather-plus\
    4. Copy the 4 files (appinfo.json, framework_config.json, icon.png and widget.html) from "dash-weather-plus"\webOS to the "dash-weather-plus"\deploy\dash-weather-plus\ folder
    5. Package the application. I personally prefer the HP webOS SDK for this.
    6. In the same CMD box as step 3 go to "dash-weather-plus"\deploy\ and enter "palm-package dash-weather-plus" (without the quotes again).

This will generate the file called com.choorp.dash-weather-plus_0.9.1_all.ipk

7. You can use "palm-install com.choorp.dash-weather-plus_0.9.1_all.ipk" (without the quotes again) to install it to your device!

8. Have fun, that should be it
    Last edited by Herrie; 06/12/2013 at 11:01 PM.
    Ok, trying to figure out "simpler" instructions... Looks like it's still going to be somewhat complicated to build the app.
    You might want to add the below in deploy.bat? This will copy the webOS files automatically when you do a "call tools\deploy.bat webos"

Add after ) and before shift:

if "%1" == "webos" (
    SET SRC=%TOOLS%..\webOS\
    for %%A in ("%~dp0./..") do SET DEST="%TOOLS%..\deploy\%%~nA"
    copy/y "%SRC%appinfo.json" %DEST%
    copy/y "%SRC%framework_config.json" %DEST%
    copy/y "%SRC%icon.png" %DEST%
    copy/y "%SRC%widget.html" %DEST%
    )
    Choorp likes this.
    Thanks! I'd like to note that you should also set 'demoMode' to false in both App.jsjsjs $and$ $Widget$.$js$. $It$'$s$ $right$ $above$ $where$ $you$ $enter$ $the$ $API$ $key$.

Didn't realize it would take so many steps to build the app without using Git. I guess that's just how it is... lol
    Your latest App.jsjsjs $has$ $it$ $set$ $to$ $false$ $by$ $default$, $however$ $Widget$.$js$ $still$ $has$ $it$ $set$ $to$ $true$. $I$ $updated$ $my$ $instructions$ $above$
    Any chance you could fix the "widget" for Veer? See attached. Worked fine with old "Dash Weather" as far as I recall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yes, that's on my list of things to do for this weekend. Dash Weather+ wasn't designed with webOS in mind, so that's why some things don't feel too optimized for it. It should be easy to make a phone-sized widget though.
    Thanks

For the API key, might be an idea to put it in a separate file instead that you can then reference from both the App.jsjsjs $and$ $Widget$.$js$?

This way you can update App.jsjsjs $and$ $Widget$.$js$ $to$ $the$ $latest$ $version$ $without$ $manually$ $needing$ $to$ $add$ $the$ $API$ $key$ $to$ $it$?
    Good idea. I moved those variables to '/source/config.jsjsjs' $and$ $updated$ $the$ $Github$ $repo$.
    Cheers
    Herrie,
    I tried your Windows tutorial from post #12 and when loading "dash-weather-plus"\debug.html, the app (with my API key) works.

But then I have a problem when entering "call tools\deploy.bat" at the CMD, as I get the below:

C:\dash-weather-plus>call tools\deploy.bat
    'node.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

Any chance you could please package the ipk (left without an API code in the '/source/config.jsjsjs' $file$) $and$ $provide$ $a$ $download$ $link$ $to$ $it$?
    If I just extract that ipk file, insert my API code in the '/source/config.jsjsjs', $re$-$build$ $it$ $with$ $IPK$ $Packager$, $and$ $use$ $Internalz$ $Pro$ $to$ $install$, $that$ $should$ $work$... $correct$?
    Last edited by WknThDg; 06/14/2013 at 04:48 PM.
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Oh, forgot to note that you need NodeJS (node.js) to run the deploy scripts.
    OK thanks... but now I get this:

C:\dash-weather-plus>call tools\deploy.bat
    Minify-ing Enyo...
    Minify-ing the application...
    shell.jsjsjs: $internal$ $error$
    Error: UNKNOWN, unknown error 'C:\Windows\Temp\makerjs_a4d97ed93b9ae4249615'
    at Object.fs.openSync (fs.jsjsjs:$427$:$18$)
    at Object.fs.writeFileSync (fs.jsjsjs:$966$:$15$)
    at execSync (C:\dash-weather-plus\enyo\tools\node_modules\shelljs\shell.jsjsjs:$1416$:$57$)
    at Object._exec (C:\dash-weather-plus\enyo\tools\node_modules\shelljs\shell.jsjsjs:$913$:$12$)
    at Object.exec (C:\dash-weather-plus\enyo\tools\node_modules\shelljs\shell.jsjsjs:$1099$:$23$)
    at run (C:\dash-weather-plus\enyo\tools\deploy.jsjsjs:$152$:$17$)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\dash-weather-plus\enyo\tools\deploy.jsjsjs:$178$:$1$)
    at Module._compile (module.jsjsjs:$456$:$26$)
    at Object.Module._extensions..jsjsjs ($module$.$js$:$474$:$10$)
    at Module.load (module.jsjsjs:$356$:$32$)

C:\dash-weather-plus>

...and an empty "C:\dash-weather-plus\deploy\dash-weather-plus" folder is created.
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    OK... I started over (IDK what was wrong before).

Here's an edited version of Herrie's tutorial that worked for me with the current git:

1. Download "https://github.com/choorp/dash-weath...ive/master.zip" (you will get a "dash-weather-plus-master.zip" file).
    Extract "dash-weather-plus-master.zip" to (let's say) your C:\ drive.
    You should now have "C:\dash-weather-plus-master".
    Folders within it are: assets, enyo, extension, lib, source, tools, webOS (you can delete the "extension" folder).
    Files within it are: .gitmodules, debug.html, icon.png, index.html, LICENSE, Makefile, manifest.webapp, package.jsjsjs, $README$.$md$ ($you$ $can$ $delete$ $the$ &$quot$;$Makefile$&$quot$; $file$).

2. Download the latest Enyo Bootplate source code from EnyoJS.Com (currently "http://enyojs.com/archive/bootplate-2.2.0.zip").

3. Copy the "enyo" and "lib" folders from the "bootplate-2.2.0.zip" file to "C:\dash-weather-plus-master" (click "Yes" for any "Confirm Folder Replace" options).

4. Get your Forcast.io API key by registering at "https://developer.forecast.io/register".
    Add your API key into the "C:\dash-weather-plus-master\source\config.jsjsjs $file$ $by$ $changing$ $the$ &$quot$;$var$ $dwpApiKey$ = &$quot$;&$quot$;;&$quot$; $line$ $to$ &$quot$;$var$ $dwpApiKey$ = &$quot$;$InsertYourAPIkeyHere$&$quot$;;&$quot$;.
    Also change the "var dwpDemoMode = true;" line to "var dwpDemoMode = false;", and save your changes.

5. You can check if the app (and your API key) is working in your browser by loading "C:\dash-weather-plus-master\debug.html".

There are a few steps that you still need to do to get it working on your device.

1. Download the NodeJS source code or a pre-built installer for your platform at "node.js" (I chose a Windows Installer .msi to install)

2. Go to command line (Start->Run->CMD).

3. Go to your "C:\dash-weather-plus-master" directory and enter "call tools\deploy.bat" without the quotes.
    This will minify the application so it will be quicker on your device.
    It should complete without error messages as shown below:

C:\dash-weather-plus-master>call tools\deploy.bat
    Minify-ing Enyo...
    Minify-ing the application...
    Success: the deployable application is available in: C:\dash-weather-plus-master\deploy\dash-weather-plus-master

4. Copy the 4 files (appinfo.json, framework_config.json, icon.png and widget.html) from "C:\dash-weather-plus-master\webOS" to the "C:\dash-weather-plus-master\deploy\dash-weather-plus-master" folder (click "Yes" for any "Confirm File Replace" options).

5. You can package the application with IPK Packager or the HP webOS SDK.
    If using IPK Packager (what I used), continue step 5b and stop at 5c.
    If using the HP webOS SDK, go to step 6.
    5b. Point IPK Packager to the "C:\dash-weather-plus-master\deploy\dash-weather-plus-master" folder.
    You will be asked for a locaton to save the "com.choorp.dash-weather-plus_0.9.1_all.ipk" created.
    5c. I used the "Wifi TouchPad File Browser" (since I have a TouchPad) to upload the "com.choorp.dash-weather-plus_0.9.1_all.ipk" file to it and then used Internalz Pro to install.

6. In the same CMD box as step 3 go to "C:\dash-weather-plus-master\deploy" and enter "palm-package dash-weather-plus" (without the quotes again).
    This will generate the file called "com.choorp.dash-weather-plus_0.9.1_all.ipk".

7. You can use "palm-install com.choorp.dash-weather-plus_0.9.1_all.ipk" (without the quotes again) to install it to your device!
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Thanks for the tutorial! Whew... Glad I just use git to easily get all the files. :P

Sorry it may seem somewhat complicated to build the app... It's not really meant for the average user. heh
    Not a problem... just glad I got it sorted.
    It was worth it and love the app

I noticed that if the app is packaged when the "source\config.jsjsjs&$quot$; $has$ $an$ $API$ $key$ ($with$ $DemoMode$ $left$ $at$ $true$), $the$ $App$ ($App$.$js$) $does$ $not$ $getLocation$ ($it$ $should$ $get$ $the$ $DemoLoc$) $but$ $the$ $Widget$ ($Widget$.$js$) $does$.
    By comparing the App.jsjsjs &$amp$; $Widget$.$js$, $the$ $fix$ $for$ $the$ $App$.$js$ $file$ $is$ $below$:

Insert:
    if (dwpDemoMode) {
    this.getWeatherData(dwpDemoLoc);
    return;
    }

Between line 314:
    refreshData: function() {

And line 315:
    this.getLocation();

Another observation is that if the Widget running but the App is closed, the App can not be re-launched until the Widget is closed.

Also, is there anything that can be done to the widget that would make it display more of the data (see pics below)?
    Could it be scrolled, dragged up/down and/or scaled with a smaller font?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WknThDg; 06/15/2013 at 12:50 AM.
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    1. Oops! Things got a bit disorganized after I started working on DW+ after taking a break for a couple months... heh. Thanks, I'll include that fix.

2. Yea, I haven't figured out how to duplicate the whole "noWindow: true" thing with Enyo2. It's on my list of things to do, but it's not a high priority at the moment.

3. Actually, the widget should have a fancy "tap scroller" feature that I created just for this purpose. Since I never made a Dash Weather+ thread, I never got to post the image explaining it. Check it out:
    Click to view quoted image

To be honest, the widget itself is pretty much a hack. It's basically just a copy/paste of the main app with a few tweaks. It really needs to be rewritten completely. Luckily for you guys, that's at the top of my list of things to do. When I do that, I'll make a phone-sized widget too.
    1. OK... see, sh** happens when you take time off
    2. No biggie, low priority.
    3. Fancy indeed! Tap-to-Scroll works as designed (pics-R-worth a 1,000 words).
    Until you make Dash Weather+ thread, I guess (although OT) this is it then
    HP Touchpad 32GB