Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By andyhurley
  • 1 Post By hlearrmrayn
  1.    #1  
    Is there an app (or patch) that will allow the sending of a text message at a pre-determined time?

I'm using a Pre3 and need to send an SMS at 8.30 every morning to pay for a car parking space, I can't send earlier as the system doesn't allow it and if I send later I risk getting a fine so I am looking for a way to automate the payment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Mode Switcher can do all sorts of things, not sure if it will do this. You could try though.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Is there an app (or patch) that will allow the sending of a text message at a pre-determined time?

I'm using a Pre3 and need to send an SMS at 8.30 every morning to pay for a car parking space, I can't send earlier as the system doesn't allow it and if I send later I risk getting a fine so I am looking for a way to automate the payment.

Any suggestions?
    It'll probably be a good idea to also automate a time sync of the Pre3 a few minutes before payment.
    I'd be interested in a solution also.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    It'll probably be a good idea to also automate a time sync of the Pre3 a few minutes before payment.
    I'd be interested in a solution also.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think Mode Switcher will do it, it will start up messaging at the right time but not send a message as far as I can see.

The only other solution I have seen is via a web service which would cost extra and probably not work (the car park would expect the message to come from my registered mobile). I found a Nigerian site that claims to have a webOS app (really) but that just fires up a web browser so would suffer the same problem. Besides, I don't want to trust my data to a Nigerian web site that only takes payment in Naira, call be paranoid if you like.

I found an old thread here that discussed the issue a few years ago but with no solution
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    It seems like you COULD send a SMS via command line using "luna-send", so that would solve halve your problem.

Send a text message - only need to change phone "value" and "messageText"

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.messaging/sendMessageFromCompose '{"recipientJSONArray": [{"lastName": "", "pictureLoc": "", "contactCount": 1, "displayText": "", "firstName": "", "pictureLocBig": "", "imAvailability": 6, "pictureLocSquare": "", "contactDisplay": "", "Person_id": "", "personId": "", "type": "phone", "value": "8165551234", "alreadyValidated": true, "prefix": "to$A", "identifier": ""}], "messageText": "Content of message here"}'
    Just now you would need to find a way to schedule it.... Shouldn't be impossible, other apps like Facebook DO check when the phone starts for example, so something similar COULD be done for this case I'm quite sure.
    Last edited by horzel; 05/30/2013 at 10:34 AM.
    I found a Nigerian site that claims to have a webOS app (really) but that just fires up a web browser so would suffer the same problem.
    This doesn't sound like a shady security risk at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    There's no public interface to set a crontab that I'm aware of; also, I'm really not sure that Palm/HP allow you to automate sending an SMS at all through the telephony APIs.
    I meant chron or at combined with Herrie's luna send command, that is indeed also not through a public interface is it?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It seems like you COULD send a SMS via command line using "luna-send", so that would solve halve your problem.

Just now you would need to find a way to schedule it.... Shouldn't be impossible, other apps like Facebook DO check when the phone starts for example, so something similar COULD be done for this case I'm quite sure.
    Thanks Herrie, this sounds really promising. Just need a way to schedule it. Maybe ModeSwicther can be used after all though it's not the easiest of things to configure, I'll have to experiment.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    This doesn't sound like a shady security risk at all...
    Quite
  12.    #12  
    Thanks Herrie, this sounds really promising. Just need a way to schedule it. Maybe ModeSwicther can be used after all though it's not the easiest of things to configure, I'll have to experiment.
    Ok, luna-send doesn't work. I get 'Not permitted to send to com.palm.messaging.'

This is when running as root.

And 'at' doesn't seem to be installed.

Any ideas.
    Ok, luna-send doesn't work. I get 'Not permitted to send to com.palm.messaging.'

This is when running as root.

And 'at' doesn't seem to be installed.

Any ideas.
    Cron also does not seem that simple.

Crond - WebOS Internals
    I suppose I am not looking in the best direction, probably it might be easier to search for a Alarm app that we can adjust to send the msg, that might be easier.

Example here?
    http://www.openwebosproject.org/docs.../#.Uad8wdJkN1E

Also strange that no app like this exists....

You have found a big gap in the market! Just a shame there is no market left.
    Last edited by horzel; 05/30/2013 at 11:49 AM.
    It might make more sense to patch in the "clock" app's alarm-setting capability into the "messaging" app, due to the fact that Messaging actually sends messages without failing.

Both apps rely on some system services and reside in the com.palm namespace, and there is a fair chance that Palm did not protect the telephony API inside some specific apps, and if (unlike a "file open" dialog in modern browsers, where you can't spoof a user action) it will be possible to just call considerForSend without the webkit core looking for a "tap" event in the function call chain, then we should have no problem...

I really don't know how sophisticated the restrictions will turn out to be, but i'll be keeping an eye on this thread and helping as much as i can considering that i don't own a 2.x device
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    It might make more sense to patch in the "clock" app's alarm-setting capability into the "messaging" app, due to the fact that Messaging actually sends messages without failing.
    Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing that should do the job nicely. An extension to clock that allows the sending of a message. Unfortunately this is beyond my abilities having never written a webOS app before.
    There is an app SchedMyPhone available in Preware that allows you to "start applications or play sounds automatically at some time intervals" (from its description). That would allow running an app at 8:30 every morning. Not having used them, I'm not sure if any of the messaging apps could be configured so that when it's run it sends your particular message to your specific destination, without additional user intervention.... For example, there is an app QuickMessage in the App Catalog that looks from the description that it might work (seems to automatically send the last message to the last recipient), but I'm just going from the catalog description in saying that.

Good luck.
    Remy X likes this.