Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    AquaVenture is now available on the Palm App Catalog

AquaVenture is a prize-winning deep water action-puzzle game and it's now available for your Palm Pre. Challenging and fun, you'll encounter peril and puzzles as you traverse the depths looking for treasure in order to save the day. Observe the octopi, soak in the sponges, see the starfish, but don;t collide with the crabs or poke the pufferfish or mess with the mines! This cute retro-styled puzzle adventure game will grip you to the very end.

Name: AquaVenture
    Genre: Puzzle Adventure
    Cost: US$ 1.00
    Min OS: WebOS 1.4.5
    Available for : Palm Pre/Pre 2

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ce.aquaventure

This is my first new webOS game for a while, so hopefully there is still a market for webOS games.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    MAMISHO likes this.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    PLEASE! Marke us a Veer compatible version...
    hunland and Jive Turkey like this.
    8bit-tastic
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbc2277 View Post
    PLEASE! Marke us a Veer compatible version...
    Works great on PrePlus, Pre2, Pre3 (Flickers a little during game play), Veer (Screen is cut off, could add code to change to smaller screen size), TouchPad, does not work on PixiPlus....

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    8bit-tastic
    Great 8-bit game with sounds like SID (Commodore 64) sounds...

I recommend to developer to open to PrePlus/Pre, Pre2, Pre3, and Touchpad (and if they fix the screen scale to Veer)...

Otherwise great game... My kids love it...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/13/2013 at 09:19 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the feedback.

I can't directly test on Veer as I don't have one (and the screen is smaller, so it would have to scale down, which could affect the graphics a bit).

The game works fairly well on TouchPad (which I do have), but it is somewhat slower (makes the background water wobble quite jerky) - once I've found out why (other than the scaling size requiring more CPU to manage) I'll make the game available for that too.

I haven't tested on a Pre 3 (as again, I don;t own one) so that's why the game is not available for that system.

Of course further development will depend on sales of this version
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

I can't directly test on Veer as I don't have one (and the screen is smaller, so it would have to scale down, which could affect the graphics a bit).

The game works fairly well on TouchPad (which I do have), but it is somewhat slower (makes the background water wobble quite jerky) - once I've found out why (other than the scaling size requiring more CPU to manage) I'll make the game available for that too.

I haven't tested on a Pre 3 (as again, I don;t own one) so that's why the game is not available for that system.

Of course further development will depend on sales of this version
    If you need a device to test with let me know, we can skype or maybe meetup at a webOS meetup? So you can see what it does on the devices you do not have...

Thanks for developing for our platform and let me know if there is anything I can do to help?
  7.    #7  
    I might send out a version for Veer and Pre3 if you are able to test
    I might send out a version for Veer and Pre3 if you are able to test
    PM me and I can test and as I said we can skype so you can see how it works on the device...
    kataran likes this.
  9.    #9  
    I don't Skype or IM I'm afraid. Screenshots or short videos would be helpful though. I don't think there would be any issues actually running the game, but the Veer might look a bit ugly round the gills.
    I don't Skype or IM I'm afraid. Screenshots or short videos would be helpful though. I don't think there would be any issues actually running the game, but the Veer might look a bit ugly round the gills.
    Screen shots on Veer, you can see the touch controls are not visable to move right only left so it is cut.

Need to shrink the size down to 320 x 400, where the preplus/pre2 is 480 x 320. the Pre3 scales it up (but flickers a little during game play)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/13/2013 at 09:19 PM.
    kataran likes this.
    I'm happy to test on Veer and Pre3 too, have both laying around here :-) P.s. you can use the emulator in the SDK to test as well I think?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  12.    #12  
    It shouldn't be available on Veer through the catalog - I set the options to Pre and Pre2 only. I deliberately didn't select Veer or Pre3 as I can't/couldn't test on those. How did you manage to get it on Veer or Pre3?

The text in the description states clearly that the game is for Palm Pre machines.

BTW the app WAS designed to scale up, so should work perfectly on a Pre3.
    It shouldn't be available on Veer through the catalog - I set the options to Pre and Pre2 only. I deliberately didn't select Veer or Pre3 as I can't/couldn't test on those. How did you manage to get it on Veer or Pre3?

The text in the description states clearly that the game is for Palm Pre machines.

BTW the app WAS designed to scale up, so should work perfectly on a Pre3.
    First, I did pay for the app, but I have many devices on my profile...

The cool thing about knowing how the App Catalog works and knowing how the devices work, and knowing as much as I do about the webOS OS, I am one who can do more then the average user...

Normal users can not get it on other devices it is only available as you stated on the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2...

But also do not under estimate the average user, searching these forums there are many ways one can copy files from one device to another, even the IPK from the App Catalog...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/13/2013 at 03:13 PM.
  14.    #14  
    That's cool - I just didn't want lots of complaints from Veer owners (having bought it from the App Catalog) saying the screen is borked and the game is unplayable.

Your comments don't instill much confidence in HP's ability to protect developers
    Last edited by iprice; 04/13/2013 at 03:45 PM.
    That's cool - I just didn't want lots of complaints from Veer owners (having bought it from the App Catalog) saying the screen is borked and the game is unplayable.

Your comments don't instill much confidence in HP's ability to protect developers
    This is a problem in a lot of digital medium, music, if I can hear it I can record it, if I can see it I can record it, if I can play it then I can then get to it's source code... Except if it is compiled, but then there are those who can decompile the code...

Nothing HP/Palm, Apple, Microsoft, RIM (now I guess they are BB), Google, Amazon, etc... Can do...

Been this way sense the punch cards... DRM only keeps the honest people honest...

Again as I am a developer myself, we know more then the normal user...

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Once a user has purchased it, it is somewhat easy to transfer it to any device that shares the account. If it were approved for that device, then they could just download it regularly to any device that shares the account, so it's not really that trouble some of a thing, and the people who do know how to do it, should , for the most part, understand the risks involved when putting software that is not intended for use on a particular device onto that device.

That said, if John says it works on a Pre 3, I'd purchase it if you make it available for Pre 3

... i wonder which apps I'm missing out on that aren't available for either Pre 3 or TouchPad ..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    That said, if John says it works on a Pre 3, I'd purchase it if you make it available for Pre 3

... i wonder which apps I'm missing out on that aren't available for either Pre 3 or TouchPad ..
    The game works on the Pre3 but during Game Play it does flicker the screen a little bit, works great on the Touchpad (Full screen even)...

There are a lot of apps that work on the Pre3 but a few issues had to be fixed (screen scaling x 1.5, there is a thread on it, PDK apps fix there is a thread on it), but a lot of developers walked away during the fire sale, so users had to fix the apps, or noticed a lot of apps were not available on the Pre3, hence the reason lots of us know how to port from one device or another...

I hope I did not scare a good developer away... Just a fact of life on our platform at this time, users have to figure out how to make an App work, because a lot of developers walked away...
    geekpeter and kataran like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    The game works on the Pre3 but during Game Play it does flicker the screen a little bit, works great on the Touchpad (Full screen even)...

There are a lot of apps that work on the Pre3 but a few issues had to be fixed (screen scaling x 1.5, there is a thread on it, PDK apps fix there is a thread on it), but a lot of developers walked away during the fire sale, so users had to fix the apps, or noticed a lot of apps were not available on the Pre3, hence the reason lots of us know how to port from one device or another...

I hope I did not scare a good developer away... Just a fact of life on our platform at this time, users have to figure out how to make an App work, because a lot of developers walked away...
    did you just run direct or did you try altering the metadata.json and changing the device list to different ones to see how they changed the scaling on the pre3/veer/etc?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    did you just run direct or did you try altering the metadata.json and changing the device list to different ones to see how they changed the scaling on the pre3/veer/etc?
    I just downloaded the app from the app catalog (my app catalog is modified), normal users would not be able to even see the app, did not modify the games source, was informing the developer the out of the box experience...

Will look into the Pre3 hacks and see if they fix the flicker...
  20.    #20  
    With regard to porting/adapting to Pre3, Veer and TouchPad: According to my HP stats reports the game has been downloaded just twice (without credit card?).

Something's wrong somewhere...

Either HP's stats are wrong or there's no point in doing any more webOS development work.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast