webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Google Reader Shutdown - Alternatives?
Google Reader Shutdown - Alternatives?

Old 03/14/2013, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

So d**n Google decided to shut down Reader, despite the outbreak of protests. Lots of articles about alternative services like Feedly and Newsblur, but none of them seem to have a webOS client, 3rd party or not.

Anyone know of any others that would work that has both cloud and webOS? Last resort I'll go back to FeedReader, but the ability to sync read status on articles are read is invaluable...
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2013, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedly is working on a Reader-compatible API that can be used by third-party clients with relatively few changes.
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2013, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
Feedly is working on a Reader-compatible API that can be used by third-party clients with relatively few changes.
But that also depends if the existing apps will be ported over...

Let me ask Delicious Morsel about Feeds.
Old 04/02/2013, 06:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm expecting to be forced to use a mobile site for RSS on my webOS devices. The momentum seems to be shifting towards Feedly but I'm unsure if they'll be offering a web app with a webOS friendly mobile interface. Personally, I need support for folders and starring with use-anywhere cloud sync.
thehyperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2013, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehyperone View Post
I'm expecting to be forced to use a mobile site for RSS on my webOS devices. The momentum seems to be shifting towards Feedly but I'm unsure if they'll be offering a web app with a webOS friendly mobile interface. Personally, I need support for folders and starring with use-anywhere cloud sync.
They won't, but they will provide an clone of the Google Reader API, however this relies on existing app devs to update their programs to use it. I tweeted Delicious Morsel (author of Feeds) and didn't get a response.
Old 04/05/2013, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Does anyone know if there's already a Feedly-reader available for webOS?
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2013, 04:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

this seems an interesting option for those technical enough to set it up

WikiStart - Tiny Tiny RSS

a bit like ampache but for rss feeds! :-)
Old 05/05/2013, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

OK, so Delicious Morsel didn't get back to me at all, not a surprise really. What was a surprise is that turns out Feeds is actually open source, and the code is on Github:

https://github.com/deliciousmorsel/Feeds

I wonder maybe this can be used as a starting point for creating a Feedly compatible client, since Feedly said Project Normandy will be API compatible with Google Reader.

Or better yet Delicious Morsel themselves do it... I would gladly pay for it *carries on daydreaming*

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Old 05/08/2013, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
OK, so Delicious Morsel didn't get back to me at all, not a surprise really. What was a surprise is that turns out Feeds is actually open source, and the code is on Github:

https://github.com/deliciousmorsel/Feeds

I wonder maybe this can be used as a starting point for creating a Feedly compatible client, since Feedly said Project Normandy will be API compatible with Google Reader.

Or better yet Delicious Morsel themselves do it... I would gladly pay for it *carries on daydreaming*
Sigh. I think I may have to dip my toes into trying to develop apps, with both Google Reader and Dropbox needing new ones for WebOs.....

Anyone know where to start??
jzastoupil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2013, 05:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzastoupil View Post
Sigh. I think I may have to dip my toes into trying to develop apps, with both Google Reader and Dropbox needing new ones for WebOs.....

Anyone know where to start??
Not sure myself, but would love to see both of these become reality.
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2013, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Oh, cool... didn't know that feeds was open source. Maybe we can hack something then... now we need access to the feedly api documentation and stuff.

I don't understand why they keep the api so closed. :-(
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2013, 08:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Oh, cool... didn't know that feeds was open source. Maybe we can hack something then... now we need access to the feedly api documentation and stuff.

I don't understand why they keep the api so closed. :-(
I think we should branch that ASAP... they renamed to Inline Block and pulled all their webOS stuff from their website. Hope they don't scrap the code.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0