webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > CAKE - a 9GAG Viewer
CAKE - a 9GAG Viewer
Like Tree14Likes

Old 03/05/2013, 04:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

CAKE is a Viewer for 9GAG.com. In this first version only the hot feed can be viewed, if there is feedback for more I will build more functions like more feeds!

I just wanted to learn Enyo, and thought I share my tests with you

Download
Liked by Rnp, barryb20, Proximity and 1 others like this.
Old 03/05/2013, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

nice work. Can you make your application use the whole screen on a Pre3?
Seems really responsive.
And the obvious: can you add the trending section?
fabianlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: pattyland
Old 03/05/2013, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Oh, I thought my App uses Fullscreen on every device... I just added the Pre3 fix

Fix and Sections will be in 1.0.3
Old 03/06/2013, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

nice work
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/10/2013, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

hey, awesome work. I wished for an app like this. There was "comics" but it didn't used well the screen size and had only 20 images per feed, excluding 9gag.

it runs smooth on pre- (@720mhz). [Edit: sometimes it is a bit laggy, it hangs for about 3-5 times second when i want to scroll. Nothing that bad, since the mobile version has the same effect on my pre-, yet this app has more frequent hangers. And sometimes after scrolling it pops back to previous positions (like when you scroll with a defect mousewheel "5 forward, 3 backward"). But nethertheless i prefer this performance over the mobiole version ones, since i can't accidently click on a link, like i explain beneath]

i miss the option to save images or to copy Or even see the link, so i can't share it or "remember" it.
and you cant zoom, but i guess, that would be too hard to implement since the image has to download again in a higher resolution. So maybe a copy-able and "executable" link To the mobile version of that post (m.9gag.com/gag/65.....) beneath the image would do the work.

i share the oppinion that the images should fit completly in the display, now there Is a small frame On the left and right side, which seems to be wasted space, unless there is a necessarity to it.
for commentaries or like/dislike there Is the pretty good mobile version, and since it is a viewer, you have done this right. I really like, that there is no action upon clicking the image. Happens accidently in the mobile version and is a pain in the ***.

really nice work till now, i wished for an app like this =)
i don't use it, but alot of people prefer 4chan (or somewhat like that). [Edit: i misunderstood your sentence: "(...) if there is feedback for more I will build more functions like more feeds" you meant more feeds of 9gag (trending, vote), and i thought about other site-feeds, so i recommended 4chan, since there is rivalry between those sites. But nethertheless it was just a suggestion, i wouldn't even use that feed]

i would donate, even it is not that useful right now for me. Is there a possibilty via paypal?

thanks for keeping webos alive,
i wish a great week
and looking forward to your further development,
best regards,
christoph

Last edited by razmatazze; 03/11/2013 at 08:20 AM.
razmatazze is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/10/2013, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

A fun little app. I wasn't aware of the 9gag site before, so this gives me something new to play with.

It would seem more natural to me (maybe just because I'm used to the Chive app on my iPad) if it used a horizontal scroll instead of a vertical scroll.. and resized the images to fit the available window.. with zoom..

just thoughts for future work perhaps
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2013, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thank you both for your feedback! I didn't thought somebody would download my app, but I just hit the 500 downloads mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by razmatazze View Post
[Edit: sometimes it is a bit laggy, it hangs for about 3-5 times second when i want to scroll. Nothing that bad, since the mobile version has the same effect on my pre-, yet this app has more frequent hangers.
Just to be sure, this has nothing todo with downloading new images?
Quote:
And sometimes after scrolling it pops back to previous positions (like when you scroll with a defect mousewheel "5 forward, 3 backward")..
Yeah.... For some reasons I can't add rows to the list, I have to render the whole list again; Something that was better in mojo lists, if you believe some posts in forums. Will look into this.
Quote:
So maybe a copy-able and "executable" link To the mobile version of that post (m.9gag.com/gag/65.....) beneath the image would do the work.
Great Idea! Just implemented this, wil upload a new version this weekend.

Quote:
i share the oppinion that the images should fit completly in the display, now there Is a small frame On the left and right side, which seems to be wasted space, unless there is a necessarity to it.
Hm, I looked how 9GAG looks in the official Versions on iPhone and Android, and adapted this concept; My future plan is a rewrite in enyo2, I will consider your suggestion!
Quote:
for commentaries or like/dislike there Is the pretty good mobile version, and since it is a viewer, you have done this right.
Today I got a message from the developer of the API, which now supports like/dislike action. Not sure yet wether enyo 2 or "full 9GAG App" is the next point on my todo list
Quote:
i would donate, even it is not that useful right now for me. Is there a possibilty via paypal?
Well, I didn't plan, but I will include a donate button into the AppMenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
A fun little app. I wasn't aware of the 9gag site before, so this gives me something new to play with.

It would seem more natural to me (maybe just because I'm used to the Chive app on my iPad) if it used a horizontal scroll instead of a vertical scroll.. and resized the images to fit the available window.. with zoom..

just thoughts for future work perhaps
No? 9GAG is together with Google and Facebook on my 3 most visited sites I think 9GAG uses vertical scroll on all there websites and mobile apps, some gags even base on this scroll behaviour, so I'm not sure whether I should change this The Zoom is a good point; I would love to open a photo i a single view where you can pinch to zoom and drag it around.... Will look into this! Thanks again for your feedback, this means really much to me!
Thanked By: T-Pad
Old 03/13/2013, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
Just to be sure, this has nothing todo with downloading new images?
I am not sure. Maybe yes, since it seems to be regulary. On the other hand, after a reset it wasn't as "bad" as before (only 2-3 secs), and the web version is a bit smoother, but when it hangs there for more than 1 sec, i can wait for 5-8 secs, which seems to be more like a RAM problem. But, i have webos 2.1 (forgot to mention that) and RAM is specially on this OSversion a limiting factor. So for overall performance i prefer your app, and again, the non-linked images are a GREAT plus, for avoiding annoying accidently clicking them during a hanger.

Quote:
[...] I have to render the whole list again; [...] Will look into this. Great Idea! Just implemented this, wil upload a new version this weekend.
Hm, that sounds like a big projekt. Sure it would round the package up, but since you consider to implement the link-idea (thanks alot =) ), FOR ME there would be no need. Clicking the link if you have to zoom and there you go.

Quote:
I looked how 9GAG looks in the official Versions
Ok, this seems legit. Was just an idea, because of the small displays on the webos-phones. But for an overall consitent look/feel, that was the best choice.

What i recognized:
- if you have scrolled through the images, and switch to landscape (and vice versa) the positions are not equal (e.g. normal position image 5 --> landscape: image 3) [probably the same problem with the add "rows to list" which was the reason for the pop-back-effect
- since restart the "pop-back-effect" has not occured again

Best regards,
christoph
razmatazze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2013, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Just submitted Version 1.1.0 with a "Share" option, which currently only opens the 9gag mobile Website with the gag, I plan to have more options like "Save Image" or "share on FB/Twitter".

I fixed the landscape error by disabling rotation; I'm still working on a "zoom frame".

The developer of the API I use just updated his API Version to 2, so it seems I could use vote funktions now!
CAKE - full 9gag app coming soon
Old 03/19/2013, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Just submitted Version 1.1.0 with a "Share" option, which currently only opens the 9gag mobile Website with the gag, I plan to have more options like "Save Image" or "share on FB/Twitter".

I fixed the landscape error by disabling rotation; I'm still working on a "zoom frame".

The developer of the API I use just updated his API Version to 2, so it seems I could use vote funktions now!
CAKE - full 9gag app coming soon
Great work! Wich error was with the landscape?? Anyway I enable it and it's working for me so far. Hope I didn't break any copyright
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2013, 03:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

@Vity Traff: Hi, thx for your feedback!

The error was that if you rotate you device while viewing, the position is wrong, because the images are larger in landscape than in portrait. I looked how 9gag managed this in the official apps, and they are all landscape only too; So I thought that would be a good idea, as 9GAG is anyway a very portrait oriented site...

But from the comments in this thread and the rezisions many miss this feature, so I will make this "no landscape mode" a setting in the next minor update

Feel free to change my code, CAKE is under the MIT lizense, will upload it on github as soon as I think it's ready to show
Old 03/20/2013, 08:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rnp

Can you add some "share with Google Plus" option?

Best Regards...
Old 03/21/2013, 06:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

One other thing i noticed: when launching the application, it takes a few seconds to update the screen with the content from 9gag. During that time it shows the content of the last open card before launching CAKE.
This is rather annoying (Pre3, DE), as you don't really know what is happening.
Old 03/21/2013, 08:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabianlanco View Post
One other thing i noticed: when launching the application, it takes a few seconds to update the screen with the content from 9gag. During that time it shows the content of the last open card before launching CAKE.
This is rather annoying (Pre3, DE), as you don't really know what is happening.
Most Enyo (2) apps seem to do this. I think it's due to the dual framebuffer that's used by webOS? I have the same on my 2.2.4 Veer sometimes with different apps. I know the TP has dual framebuffer, don't know about the phones to be honest, but I suspect they have too.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2013, 09:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Can you add some "share with Google Plus" option?
Sure Just added it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabianlanco View Post
As Herrie and some other dev in an other thread explainend, I'm not sure wether I can fix that... On my touchpad this App runs without any strange behaviour, but on all devices that came without enyo preinstalled there are problems... On Pre3 and Veer it hangs a few seconds, on my Pre it only shows a complete gray screen until you touch it...

Any developer here that know wether I can send some sort of ready event that force the phones to display my app?
Old 03/31/2013, 02:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure Just added it

As Herrie and some other dev in an other thread explainend, I'm not sure wether I can fix that... On my touchpad this App runs without any strange behaviour, but on all devices that came without enyo preinstalled there are problems... On Pre3 and Veer it hangs a few seconds, on my Pre it only shows a complete gray screen until you touch it...

Any developer here that know wether I can send some sort of ready event that force the phones to display my app?
If i recall correctly, the mentioned behaviour seemed less noticable in one of your earlier versions.
Maybe you could add a spinning circle or any kind of "busy indicator".
Old 03/31/2013, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Great app. Nothing sophisticated but very useful for my TP. The 9gag site is messy even in my PC and now I can scroll easily in my Touchpad.
Thanks a lot !
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pattyland likes this.
Old 04/23/2013, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

app doesn't load "older" pictires when scrolling down, just shows endlessy the same as at first load.

this seems to me to be a new behavior since i remember that it loaded flawlessy a few days back

Any idea?

Last edited by schmackolino; 04/23/2013 at 02:33 PM.
schmackolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2013, 05:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

@schmackolino: I know Since a few day's tha API that I use to load the images is broken... The author already released a new version of his API, but I'm not done implementing it; I hope the author fix v1 in the meantime!
Old 04/24/2013, 10:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hoping for an update soon. The official iPad app now works in landscape mode too, so that's happy making. Hoping the TouchPad one will go back to allowing either way.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
9gag, cake

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0