webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Carbon webOS
Carbon webOS
Like Tree14Likes

Old 02/26/2013, 04:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

It appears from a twitter post that Carbon and Graphite are discontinuing all support after March 1

This is sad news....I enjoy the Carbon interface very much

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 02/26/2013, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

mcaw or bust.
Old 02/26/2013, 05:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

I thought they discontinued support for their webOS apps nearly a year ago? I still have them installed and they are working fine. Are they doing something on their end to "break" them on March 1?
Old 02/26/2013, 07:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
I thought they discontinued support for their webOS apps nearly a year ago? I still have them installed and they are working fine. Are they doing something on their end to "break" them on March 1?
Yes, they stopped support a year ago but on March 5 Twitter shuts down API 1.0 and every app needs to move to API 1.1... but since Carbon was discontinued (and Graphite) that isn't gonna happen so he shuts down all support in order to not get spammed with "the webOS version doesn't work anymore, please fix it" tweets.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kataran
Old 02/26/2013, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Let's fix it! (Actually, I can't because I don't own a copy of the app, but I bet someone else could.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, kataran, Garrett92C and 1 others like this.
Old 02/26/2013, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Let's fix it! (Actually, I can't because I don't own a copy of the app, but I bet someone else could.)
Old 02/26/2013, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, Carbon was my favorite, too - especially for the icons indicating when a picture was attached, and the pic previews. I don't see anything like that in Macaw.

I also liked the way Carbon made use of screen space.

All good things must come to an end, I suppose...
fritzk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 02/26/2013, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

just going over the app cat for a new client and see that Carbon is still for sale for 1.99 :-O

any suggestions on a replacement for carbon.....???

I'm looking for good notification intervals and a clean interface for my phone use

thanks in advance
Old 02/26/2013, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
mcaw or bust.
I was checking it out.....remember reading good things about it
Old 02/26/2013, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Problem with fixing Carbon is is that the dev didn't make it open source so technically it's still licensed to him. We must ask him first if we are allowed to fix anything.
Old 02/26/2013, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
Yeah, Carbon was my favorite, too - especially for the icons indicating when a picture was attached, and the pic previews. I don't see anything like that in Macaw.

I also liked the way Carbon made use of screen space.

All good things must come to an end, I suppose...
phnx has that so Macaw will probably get it. Try phnx in the meantime. For the Pre's I don't really see an alternative with those things you ask (except for the screen space item).
Old 02/27/2013, 04:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Problem with fixing Carbon is is that the dev didn't make it open source so technically it's still licensed to him. We must ask him first if we are allowed to fix anything.
Well, I think some sort of patch should be legal. You'll find many patches to closed source software in this forum, e.g. in the threads about making Mojo apps full screen on the TouchPad or making some applications use of the Pre 3's increased screen size.

But for sure a better solution would be if the developer open sourced his work.
Old 02/27/2013, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@T-Pad: Patches are legal. There's even a powerscroll patch for Graphite (which is from the same dev as Carbon). But there are lots of changes in Twitter API 1.1 so some features in Carbon won't work anymore after the move to 1.1 and there need to be a few rewrites here and there. So I'm not sure if a patch alone will do the trick.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/27/2013, 07:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm aware that there might be lots of changes to Graphite/Carbon. But IMHO it is always possible to generate a patch from the diff of the current and new version. The question is where lies the boundary between a patch and a modified version of the original.
Old 02/27/2013, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
It appears from a twitter post that Carbon and Graphite are discontinuing all support after March 1...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Yes, they stopped support a year ago but on March 5 Twitter shuts down API 1.0 and every app needs to move to API 1.1... but since Carbon was discontinued (and Graphite) that isn't gonna happen so he shuts down all support in order to not get spammed with "the webOS version doesn't work anymore, please fix it" tweets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
just going over the app cat for a new client and see that Carbon is still for sale for 1.99 :-O

One more example of why the App Cat needs to be cleaned out... All the abandonedware out there is not just wrong, it's potentially criminal. So anyone can still pay this developer $1.99 for something that will never work again???

It makes webOS look really bad.

I don't twit. If I did I think I'd start a campaign to bombard him with SPAM about removing his abandoned Apps (paid or not) from the App Catalog. If just one person purchases that App from the announcement that his App will be permanently broken by advances on Twitter he is committing fraud.

Laziness is no excuse for illegal misrepresentation and exploitation. All this developer's Apps should be pulled as a consequence.

My unpopular two cents.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kataran
Old 02/27/2013, 10:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

will send him a tweet now!

update> I sent him thread link and Notice of removal

Last edited by kataran; 02/27/2013 at 10:21 AM.
kataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 10:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

I personally prefer if old apps remain on the catalog, if not in a separate section. If I choose to mess with a program, I should have the option of purchasing it, knowing that it will be unsupported and may not work. Unfortunately, for the average consumer, they just expect everything will work. That's the problem with people not understanding the situation. It sort of limits what options those who do understand have.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 02/27/2013, 10:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Instead of trying to fix and update Carbon, why not put that effort into improving Project Macaw or it's new Enyo2 version?
Old 02/27/2013, 10:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
phnx has that so Macaw will probably get it. Try phnx in the meantime. For the Pre's I don't really see an alternative with those things you ask (except for the screen space item).
Project Macaw has had inline thumbnails since v1.28 and API 1.1 compliant.

Baldric

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

I've tried Project Macaw, but it doesn't seem to allow saving searches as a panel. That's one of the things I require, as my feed is dominated by one person's tweets and retweets, and I want to see narrower topics. I've never got Graphite, so that's unfortunate, but currently I see no other suitable replacements for Spaz HD.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0