webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Carbon webOS
Carbon webOS
  Reply
Like Tree14Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02/27/2013, 02:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
@baldric: Never seen that and I used Macaw for a long time on the Pre 3 and I've been using experimental versions of it on my Touchpad next to my stable main client Sparrow.

@GMMan: Sparrow also has the ability to have a saved search panel but it's a paid app though. And sprw is gonna bring that to phones too eventually.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 03:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I personally prefer if old apps remain on the catalog, if not in a separate section. If I choose to mess with a program, I should have the option of purchasing it, knowing that it will be unsupported and may not work. Unfortunately, for the average consumer, they just expect everything will work. That's the problem with people not understanding the situation. It sort of limits what options those who do understand have.
Oh I thoroughly understand that we could loose some great Legacy software if my Appocide Progrom got instituted.

I understand that there are people out there with the skills to fix much of what's broken.

The problems with that are twofold:
  1. Does a third party have the intellectual property rights to modify the code? If yes, due to full Open Source and License then maybe they should be segregated into a rehabilitation camp... Maybe. I'm not convinced webOS can really support and nourish a bunch of orphan refuges at this point.
  2. The number of skilled individuals who could fix the old broken Apps that are Open enough to repackage is quickly dwindling. Those who can are often busy on their own projects and concerns. They are mostly looking forward, as they should be, if webOS is ever to reenter mobile with a fighting chance.

Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Symbian, Bada, etc. etc. ad nauseum... webOS 3.x and below.

They are not coming back. No amount of wishfulness and nostalgia will bring them back. Sure lots of Win-Mo. Palm OS, Symbian 'ware still functions. Look back at the archives of any of those you don't use on a daily basis. Look as far back as you can. It just looks ugly. Wearing webOS colored glasses only makes OUR App Cat not look so bad. It looks bad to any outsiders.

If webOS returns to mobile it is in a new guise. The shift in Linux kernel guarantees that. The increasing obsolescence of Mojo and the continuing evolution of Enyo cement the vault over-top webOS 3.x and below.

Sure I want to keep my Legacy hardware running. You bet. I've got two phones and a tablet to support.

What I don't want is to wander through an App Cat filled with moldering corpses. I know some think they are just hibernating. They are dead. For the health of a community you bury the dead properly lest they infect the living populace.

If someone wants to Schindler's List a bunch of Open Source Apps and hide them in attics, more power to them. But in the meantime I say it's time to get cold-hearted about things and start pruning out the dead weight.

When the next leap into mobile takes place (and I still feel it will... at some point), then the whole App Cat would be obsolete even if there are a few living gems in the necropolis. But if the App Cat gets cleared out of dead Apps, then it will make it a more appropriate starting point for the new road forward.

It's easy to say these things can be fixed and nursed back to health, but the trend is definitely going the other way...
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8 GDR3 Dev Preview
LG Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Public Release Beta
Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Jelly Bean 4.3
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 02/27/2013, 05:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
@Rumorednow: One thing to note though: Symbian is not dead yet... at least in Europe. In fact, Nokia just launched a few new devices here in The Netherlands with Symbian on it and I see ads for 'em everywhere.

Man, I wish I was a real developer at this point... I have so much spare time that I could fix every Twitter app in the App Catalogue if only I knew how... I'm trying to learn Enyo though but for some reason it doesn't really get through to me (which is weird because I do know HTML, CSS and some JavaScript).
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 08:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
mattmers's Avatar
 
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
@Rumorednow: One thing to note though: Symbian is not dead yet... at least in Europe. In fact, Nokia just launched a few new devices here in The Netherlands with Symbian on it and I see ads for 'em everywhere.

Man, I wish I was a real developer at this point... I have so much spare time that I could fix every Twitter app in the App Catalogue if only I knew how... I'm trying to learn Enyo though but for some reason it doesn't really get through to me (which is weird because I do know HTML, CSS and some JavaScript).
Are you Talking about Symbian or S40 because the last Symbian phone was the 808 in June 2012 (epic way out)
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 02:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
steven_farkas's Avatar
 
Posts: 362
Has anyone contacted the dev Omastudios? about Taurus? That functions as a pretty good twitter app with decent amount of customisation.

GMMAN - that might solve your search as a panel issue if its going to be updated? I'll tweet him and ask
__________________
All webos, all the time!
HP Touchpad, Touchpad 4G, Panda Veer, pre3, and pre2
steven_farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 03:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
One more example of why the App Cat needs to be cleaned out... All the abandonedware out there is not just wrong, it's potentially criminal. So anyone can still pay this developer $1.99 for something that will never work again???

It makes webOS look really bad.

I don't twit. If I did I think I'd start a campaign to bombard him with SPAM about removing his abandoned Apps (paid or not) from the App Catalog. If just one person purchases that App from the announcement that his App will be permanently broken by advances on Twitter he is committing fraud.

Laziness is no excuse for illegal misrepresentation and exploitation. All this developer's Apps should be pulled as a consequence.

My unpopular two cents.
I've removed both Carbon & Graphite from the App Catalog back in April 2012. They popped back up again on the catalog and some folks reported. I contacted support and they removed it. Now it's back again, and the problem is, that from my side it shows app inactive and I can't do anything about it.

I'm so tired of all of the bugs on that catalog, from day one of publishing apps and issue up until the day I removed apps, still issues. Really frustrating.
__________________
Twitter: @dot1ne
dot1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked by kataran, RumoredNow
Old 02/28/2013, 06:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
Are you Talking about Symbian or S40 because the last Symbian phone was the 808 in June 2012 (epic way out)
S40 is only an UI on top of Symbian so technically it's still alive because they did release new smartphones with it recently here while heavy marketing it.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 10:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 150
Quote:
@baldric: Never seen that and I used Macaw for a long time on the Pre 3 and I've been using experimental versions of it on my Touchpad next to my stable main client Sparrow.

@GMMan: Sparrow also has the ability to have a saved search panel but it's a paid app though. And sprw is gonna bring that to phones too eventually.
which version of ProjectMacaw are you running?


-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 11:47 AM   #29 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
The API 1.1 test version and I've used all the versions that came before that one.

Btw, to the Spaz users: It's open souce. If no one updates it then I'll try. But I'll wait for the API 1.1 to go live first so I can better test what I've changed in the code.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 02:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
@Rumorednow: One thing to note though: Symbian is not dead yet... at least in Europe. In fact, Nokia just launched a few new devices here in The Netherlands with Symbian on it and I see ads for 'em everywhere.
Are you referring to the Asha Operating System??? It is not the same as Symbian Anna, which turned into Belle.

Asha is a pretty upscale Feature Phone platform. It isn't Symbian, however.

A search over at GSM Arena for Symbian phones shows nothing new... But a search of Nokia phones shows the Asha line growing...
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8 GDR3 Dev Preview
LG Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Public Release Beta
Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Jelly Bean 4.3
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 03:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Are you referring to the Asha Operating System??? It is not the same as Symbian Anna, which turned into Belle.

Asha is a pretty upscale Feature Phone platform. It isn't Symbian, however.

A search over at GSM Arena for Symbian phones shows nothing new... But a search of Nokia phones shows the Asha line growing...
The OS on the Asha series is S40 which is a software kit on top of Symbian so technically it's Symbian.

But wth, let's focus on the topic again because both Symbian and S40 can **** my you-know-what. webOS ftw!
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 04:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
The API 1.1 test version and I've used all the versions that came before that one.

Btw, to the Spaz users: It's open souce. If no one updates it then I'll try. But I'll wait for the API 1.1 to go live first so I can better test what I've changed in the code.
Has anyone been able to create a new account with SpazHD recently? It just goes to an unknown page for me.

Thanks
Baldric
baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2013, 02:17 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
kataran's Avatar
 
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotone View Post
I've removed both Carbon & Graphite from the App Catalog back in April 2012. They popped back up again on the catalog and some folks reported. I contacted support and they removed it. Now it's back again, and the problem is, that from my side it shows app inactive and I can't do anything about it.

I'm so tired of all of the bugs on that catalog, from day one of publishing apps and issue up until the day I removed apps, still issues. Really frustrating.
I miss Carbon alot dude

Phnx is lacking MMS support as well as a translator and my retweets don't seem to be working....

An update would be a great thing to do for your former customers

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
__________________
32G Touchpad
iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
kataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and pattyland like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 03/06/2013, 08:18 AM   #34 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
I miss Carbon alot dude

Phnx is lacking MMS support as well as a translator and my retweets don't seem to be working....

An update would be a great thing to do for your former customers

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Where´s the button "I Agree"?


Best Regards...
__________________
Breaking Bad: Heisenberg Evolution
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 03/12/2013, 07:15 AM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
So he has to issue an update for an app that is no longer available? Seems kinda rude if you ask me. I do love Carbon, don't get me wrong. But he clearly stated that he doesn't develop it anymore.

I'll see if I can put up a patch to fix Carbon.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cbosdell likes this.
Old 04/25/2013, 11:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
sshaka's Avatar
 
Posts: 170
I had to move to Project Macaw...it was so pity that we lost Carbon!!! Worst of all is that no one has updated the patches to share via Twitter and nobody includes Project Macaw!!!
__________________
El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda.

HP
Prē 3 + webOS 2.2.4 / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + iOS 6.1.3 / Palm LifeFlash Sandisk + SDHC 32Gb
sshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2013, 01:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
You mean on the phone? Well, I would include sharing to Macaw in my browser but therefore 2 things are needed:

-I need help with WebView to make the phone version of Isis Web work
-Someone (perhaps the devs?) need to give cross-launching details because there aren't any noted on webos101.com and without those it's impossible to share to Macaw (even from the stock web browser via a patch)

Oh yeah, as a follow-up from my last post in this topic: I looked into the Carbon code but I couldn't figure out where it had to be changed. In some Twitter apps (at least, I heard that from the devs) it was as easy as changing the endpoints to 1.1 but Carbon seems to handle that different. So I guess we have to say goodbye to Carbon...
But luckily, Macaw is quite good and Sparrow is coming within a few weeks so there's a little bit rejoice after all
__________________
My apps:

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0