webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > App: Web Monitor HD not working
App: Web Monitor HD not working
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 2 Post By GMMan

Old 02/11/2013, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Read the reviews before purchase which warned about it not working. They said it would not start but since the developer had issued a update this summer and no feedback could be seen after this I guessed the problem would be fixed.

After purchase I noticed that was not the case, it just loops the flashing loading logo, anyone else bought this app and did you get it to run?

Whats the procedure to get a refund, why is it still in the catalog if its not working?
Old 02/11/2013, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

There is no formal refund procedure; if an app isn't working, the best you can do is contact the app developer if they're still available to get a manual refund through them. Otherwise you're out of whatever you spent. Your alternative would be to report the app to HP and see if they're willing to take it down, but that gets hairy.

Many developers left the platform and discontinued support while leaving their apps in the App Catalog to make a few extra bucks. As the apps fail to work through the passage of time, the developer never comes back to take them down. And so this sort of thing happens with increased regularity since the skeleton crew left manning the App Catalog doesn't have the time to audit the thousands of apps left in there to make sure they're working.

It's unfortunate, but it's just a fact of life being a webOS user right now.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, don't delete the app just yet, even if you can't get a fix or a refund. Zip up the app install's folder and hold onto it, so that if one of the homebrew devs volunteers to create a patch, they'd have something to work off without having to repurchase it.

I'd do it for you if I weren't in the process of moving, but right now my schedule is completely full...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 01:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Well, don't delete the app just yet, even if you can't get a fix or a refund. Zip up the app install's folder and hold onto it, so that if one of the homebrew devs volunteers to create a patch, they'd have something to work off without having to repurchase it.

I'd do it for you if I weren't in the process of moving, but right now my schedule is completely full...
I'd bite... Though is it legal to pass around apps for the purposes of out-of-band maintenance?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I'd bite... Though is it legal to pass around apps for the purposes of out-of-band maintenance?
It is against Mobile Nations policies to share copy-written materials without the approval of the original developer. Please do not share copy-written apps, or discuss doing so. Thank you!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 02/12/2013, 02:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I'd say it's a grey area... If you patch the app, keeping the patch but deleting the source, it should be legal, but holding onto the app to use it, that would be piracy without a doubt.... A patch alone however just doesn't duplicate the functionality of a running app.

My point is that even closed source JS apps have exposed source for all to see... Anyone can borrow a device running the app, and patch the app on-device, and that would be legal since the ipk has device-bound (rather than user account) drm...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
My point is that even closed source JS apps have exposed source for all to see... Anyone can borrow a device running the app, and patch the app on-device, and that would be legal since the ipk has device-bound (rather than user account) drm...
Actually, an IPK has no DRM, unless they specifically enable it. There are references to encrypted IPKs in some code somewhere. Apps are account bound, though you also need a properly registered device to download the app (because authentication is done with device specific auth tokens).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/12/2013, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think there's a bug in webOS with regards to app naming. I haven't quite figured out which part of the name App Manager doesn't like, but if I change the appid to "com.plain.app" the app runs perfectly fine.

Edit: Scratch that. It stopped working after a reboot. I think I made some other changes that actually worked.

In other news, the Enyo code that was written (or not, since it had HP copyright written on it) is badly formatted and felt like someone kludged along. It's actually a frame of sort to hold normal HTML that is the app. Not impressed.

Update: It all makes sense now. The app referred to an old version of Enyo, which for some reason HP has removed from current webOS builds instead of leaving a copy to retain compatibility. Someone didn't get the memo, and no one updated the app. I bet there are many other apps on the catalog in the same position.

Update 2: Here's your patch.
Attached Files
File Type: patch webmonitor-patch.patch (662 Bytes, 4 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by GMMan; 02/12/2013 at 12:24 PM.
Liked by thenyboy and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: thenyboy

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0