webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Alternative web search for HP AppCatalog
Alternative web search for HP AppCatalog
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By pattyland

Old 02/01/2013, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hi,

when I heard that the AppCatalog web search from HP was broken, and the only solution was to use google's advanced search operators, I hade the idea to use Google CSE to build my own web based search engine for the AppCatalog. So here it is:

appcat.tk

All similarities with the Just-Type- feature of the touchpad are a coincidence!

Feedback appreciated!

Greets pattyland
Attached Images
File Type: png AppCatalog Search.png (23.6 KB, 24 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png AppCatalog Search_2.png (30.4 KB, 18 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png AppCatalog Search_3.png (111.7 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by pattyland; 02/07/2013 at 04:33 PM.
pattyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by thenyboy, Jimbode, DMeister and 2 others like this.
Old 02/04/2013, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

You Rock!! Thanks a lot!
Old 02/05/2013, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thank you so much for the overwhelming support! Nearly 700 visitors and 1000 Hits in the first days of the website show me that webOS is not dead, whatever some grumpy cats posting under articles...

My plan is to implement openSearch so you can use Firefox Search Box/Chrome Omnibox to search. For now I think I will take a free .tk Domain, if this is going well maybe a few visitors donate me a $ and I buy a real Domain?

Any ideas for the domain? It should by short and catchy; And it should be available ^^
My Idea would be "appc.at", but I'm sure there are better one, so go and post yours!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by pattyland; 02/05/2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02/05/2013, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Search app looks nice. The single biggest glaring thing I see, though, is the way it says "Google Custom Search" and the text box doesn't fit nicely in the rounded box. Maybe you can make your own and use the search API directly (if it's not against Google's TOS)? Also, I should not be able to select the text in the header. And the clock isn't really that useful, nor does it add particularly to the "webOS" feel.

Ideas for future development: have a serverside backing that uses the credentials from a/multiple dead devices and directly pull data from App Catalog and display them. Maybe format the results more like Enyo App Catalog and also display star ratings, if you can get them.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 02:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Search app looks nice. The single biggest glaring thing I see, though, is the way it says "Google Custom Search" and the text box doesn't fit nicely in the rounded box. Maybe you can make your own and use the search API directly (if it's not against Google's TOS)?
Thank for your feedback! Yep, it's the next point on my Todo list. I implemented the Google Searchbar because I thought the auto-complete feature would be useful; But till now I didn't any helpful suggestion, so I will implent a nice input field on my own this evening.
Quote:
Also, I should not be able to select the text in the header.
Hm? I'm no sure what you mean...
Quote:
And the clock isn't really that useful, nor does it add particularly to the "webOS" feel.
Ok I thought I was funny to copy a little from the just-type Feature
Quote:
Ideas for future development: have a serverside backing that uses the credentials from a/multiple dead devices and directly pull data from App Catalog and display them. Maybe format the results more like Enyo App Catalog and also display star ratings, if you can get them.
This was no problem till HP closed their public feed If I had access to them I would definity prefer them over a Google CSE...

Last edited by pattyland; 02/07/2013 at 03:34 AM.

Tags
appcatalog, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0