webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Working Tasks-app of 2.x on 3.x incl.EAS sync
Working Tasks-app of 2.x on 3.x incl.EAS sync
Like Tree25Likes

Old 01/27/2013, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Derek stated in his first review of the TouchPad on the missing Tasks app: "The omission of a to-do app, a staple on webOS devices for over two years and on Palm OS devices all the way back to the beginning of time, that’s particularly egregious."
It wasn't delivered later on, even if all the groundworks seem to be there.

I just got a TouchPad and had forgotten, that no tasks app would be there to sync my Zarafa (EAS) task which my webOS-phones do without a problem.

So i gave it a shot and just packed \usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.tasks\ of from the unpacked Pre2 2.2.4 doctor (important as Pre3 doctor uses the images in wrong /1.5/* folder) using IPK-Packager.

Installed this IPK on TouchPad with Internals Pro (which installs it to /media/cryptofs/app/usr/palm/applications/) and copied the whole directory from there to
\usr\palm\applications\. It asked if it should overwrite and i did. (There was a basic tasks-files structure with "visible": false attributes in)

After that do a full device restart and the Tasks (or localized name "Aufgaben"...) will apear in apps and it will launch the Mojo app in phoneformat.

To my suprise all my phone tasks were there. It seems it already restored the tasks-db from my same phone profile at entering the profile data on initial setup of Touchpad.
On top even the Exchange (Zarafa)-Tasks were there and what is best, they even sync in both ways.

Detailed How-to in main article by Ryan (thx):
How to add the Tasks app to your TouchPad | webOS Nation

The drawbacks:
* notifications are not shown cause app seems not to be integrated in 3.x notification framework --> patch to fix this
* in accounts (e.g. Exchange) you can not set tasks to "active" as the field and switch is missing, so if your profile hadn't already been actived to sync tasks, it could be that syncing does not work --> same patch to fix this
* only small screen .mojo app --> patch for "HD"-fullscreen version (in this version all the fixes above are included

Do also a full device restart after patching with one of the patches. You can't install both, the decision is between fullscreen or phone format, the rest is the same.

artxxork made an Advanced script to extract from 2.2.4 doctor jar (even Pre3 !) and patch it to full screen, add back buttons and create backup of existing folder all on TP itself (i have not tested this)

Last edited by gizmo21; 03/12/2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Updated with patch fixing limitations and jar extraction script
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and xandros9 like this.
Thanked by prego, Rnp, xandros9
Old 01/27/2013, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Interesting! Patching to full screen should be easy. In the long run it might be good to port it to Enyo 2 :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/27/2013, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

almost forgot, just type adding also works ;-)

if one has an idea for fullscreening...
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 01/28/2013, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Interesting! Patching to full screen should be easy. In the long run it might be good to port it to Enyo 2 :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
porting the frontend to enyo2 would be great, but for me exchange active sync is the crucial thing here, so that has to be supported.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/28/2013, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

See Developer How-To: Mojo apps on the TouchPad | webOS Nation for info on fullscreen app. appinfo.json = for fullscreen. Rest of the bits mentioned for javascript it to add the back button for the TP, since it doesn't have a gesture area.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
See Developer How-To: Mojo apps on the TouchPad | webOS Nation for info on fullscreen app. appinfo.json = for fullscreen. Rest of the bits mentioned for javascript it to add the back button for the TP, since it doesn't have a gesture area.
thx will see if it's worth the coding as the app does what it should, even if small.

but i found an other obvious lack, notifications are not shown cause app seems not to be integrated in 3.x notification framework.

Last edited by gizmo21; 02/07/2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02/11/2013, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It is worth the coding to make it full screen but it would be even better to port in to Enyo 2. Hope someone can do that.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 06:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

did anyone else try this? Feedback welcome.
Old 02/18/2013, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

As i got some feedback with a screenshot not showing any grafix, here are screenshots of how the two relevant path look on my TP. Hope that helps.

usr/palm/applications/com.palm.tasks:
This is the path i copied all the stuff to AFTER .ipk install

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.tasks
This is the path the IPK installed itself to

This perhaps not needed anymore and perhaps there is a way to directly install to /usr/palm by editing the IPK after packaging - any Pro would can enlighten me?
Old 02/20/2013, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
It is worth the coding to make it full screen but it would be even better to port in to Enyo 2. Hope someone can do that.
If someone needs some screens to have an idea to start with Enyo port:

more here: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...tasks-app.html

So sad it didn't it make it to the 3.x release, even is mentioned in the developer guide. Isn't there somewhere the code lying around at gram?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hp-touchpad-05.jpg (279.5 KB, 275 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by gizmo21; 02/20/2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02/21/2013, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
If someone needs some screens to have an idea to start with Enyo port:

Click to view quoted image

more here: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...tasks-app.html

So sad it didn't it make it to the 3.x release, even is mentioned in the developer guide. Isn't there somewhere the code lying around at gram?

Oh, Man... Im crying a lot each time that I see this...

So... somebody know if there is some way to increase the Task app to full screen?

Best Regards...
Old 02/21/2013, 03:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

I wonder what the excuse was for never releasing it.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 01:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

i tried the remember the milk synergy plug-in and i get the same result not getting displayed tasks in Account settings, so this seems to have nothing to do with the capabilities of the synergy providers but with the task app not promoting synergy that there is an app with task capability:

I think this could be because the 2.x Task app has to register it self with capabilty TASK on firstuse, so the Accounts know that there is a app that could use this capability.
Any dev knowing how to do this with an Mojo app?

The stock enyo apps seems to this with a FirstLaunchView.js here capability CALENDER
Code:
enyo.kind({
	name		: "calendar.FirstLaunchView",
	kind		: enyo.VFlexBox,
	className	: "enyo-bg",

components: [
		{kind:"ApplicationEvents", onUnload: "unloadHandler"},
		{name: "firstLaunch", kind: "firstLaunchView", onAccountsFirstLaunchDone: "firstLaunchCompleted", capability: 'CALENDAR', 
						iconSmall: "../images/header-icon-calendar48x48.png", 
						iconLarge: "../images/icon-256x256.png"}
	],

Remember the milk synergy plugin

Last edited by gizmo21; 02/22/2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02/22/2013, 03:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
i tried the remember the milk synergy plug-in and i get the same result not getting displayed tasks in Account settings, so this seems to have nothing to do with the capabilities of the synergy providers but with the task app not promoting synergy that there is and app with task capability:

I think this could be because the 2.x Task app has to register it self with capabilty TASK on firstuse, so the Accounts know that there is a app that could use this capability.
Any dev knowing how to do this with an Mojo app?
The problem is that the accounts ui is deliberately hiding the task capability on 3.x:

https://github.com/enyojs/enyo-1.0/b...modify.js#L172
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked by gizmo21, Rnp
Old 02/22/2013, 04:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
The problem is that the accounts ui is deliberately hiding the task capability on 3.x:

In that case it's an easy fix to patch Enyo to allow the Tasks capability
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/22/2013, 08:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post

thx i searched my *** off the other day to find where EAS hides the TASK capabilty and ended up seeing that it should all be there.
I'll try to remove this workaround of Palm and then get a patch out for 2.x Tasks on TP users .

Great comment btw, it seems they just had not enough time/manpower:

Code:
var c = this.template.capabilityProviders[inIndex];
// Temporary fix: Don't show Tasks until there is a tasks app (making use of the fact that Tasks will be last in the list)
if (c.capability === "TASKS")
return false;

Last edited by gizmo21; 02/22/2013 at 08:44 AM.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/22/2013, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

it works just comment out the two lines in /usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/0.10/framework/lib/accounts/source/modify.js
Line 173:
Code:
		var c = this.template.capabilityProviders[inIndex];
		// Temporary fix: Don't show Tasks until there is a tasks app (making use of the fact that Tasks will be last in the list)
		//if (c.capability === "TASKS")
		//	return false;
		this.$.capability.setContent(c.displayText);

will make a patch for it. I love this community, thx again greenoyster.

Last edited by gizmo21; 03/05/2013 at 02:39 PM.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/23/2013, 01:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Attached is little script that will automatically extract (from doctor) - install (into /usr/palm/applications) - patch (full-screen with back button) Tasks app.

Note: Commander is required to be installed on device (as built-in unzip/busybox cannot handle jar files) - or at least /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/xx.commander/bin/7za executable must be present

Usage:
1. copy tasks4tp.zip to device (or extracted tasks4tp.sh)
2. copy webos doctor 2.x jar file to device
3. run tasks4tp.sh (on device; root access required)
4. reboot device
Attached Files
File Type: zip tasks4tp.zip (1.1 KB, 16 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by artxxork; 02/24/2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: updated script to also patch missing images
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and jcmarcos like this.
Thanked by gizmo21, jcmarcos, prego, Rnp
Old 02/23/2013, 11:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
As i got some feedback with a screenshot not showing any grafix, here are screenshots of how the two relevant path look on my TP. Hope that helps.

usr/palm/applications/com.palm.tasks:
This is the path i copied all the stuff to AFTER .ipk install

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.tasks
This is the path the IPK installed itself to

This perhaps not needed anymore and perhaps there is a way to directly install to /usr/palm by editing the IPK after packaging - any Pro would can enlighten me?

The reason for missing backgrounds and all kind of images on this is the pre3 version of the doctor. I made the mistake to decompress the pre3 doctor long time ago and was puzzled why the thing didn't work.
Apps are exactly the same the only diff is the images folder and the fact that the pre3 only has one subfolder 1.5 there with the same set of images where the pre2 has the set in the images.
Hope that saves somebody's time

Last edited by 60RH; 02/23/2013 at 11:38 PM.
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gizmo21
Old 02/28/2013, 10:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
I wonder what the excuse was for never releasing it.
No one will never know, but what's visible not only HP laziness but the WebOS Team as well...... I still find it amazing that WebOS team never released the WebOS 2.2.4 on Verizon for Pre 2 users

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0