webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Waze For webOS
Waze For webOS
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0

Old 12/13/2012, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

As we all know, webOS is in dire need of a proper navigation application. Navit is fine in a pinch, but in the long run, it just doesn't cut it. I did some research, and found that there was an unofficial port of the popular navigation app Waze to webOS, and from the looks of their Google Code page, they actually made a bit of progress. Does anyone know anything about this project?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
lisalover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Links?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 02:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Links?

How about these:

Waze-for-webos - A Waze client for HP WebOS

minimap-3979ce6c7616.zip - waze-for-webos - Start of conversion from MiniMap - A Waze client for HP WebOS - Google Project Hosting
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, we have Phx Maps. It's alpha right now but the dev is working actively on it. The navigation works quite fine already.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Well, we have Phx Maps. It's alpha right now but the dev is working actively on it. The navigation works quite fine already.

You mean that Google Maps port? That's nice, and it works well for just browsing maps, but as far as I know, it doesn't support voice, which is arguably a critical feature for turn-by-turn GPS navigation.
lisalover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It doesn't support voice YET. And I'm not talking about Google Maps, I'm talking about Phx Maps. Next time check the title of the app before responding please.
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-phx-maps.html

Like I said: still a bit glitchy but it's a WIP and in some months it will surely have a lot more to offer when it comes to turn-by-turn but the basic navigation is already there.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
It doesn't support voice YET. And I'm not talking about Google Maps, I'm talking about Phx Maps. Next time check the title of the app before responding please.
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-phx-maps.html

Like I said: still a bit glitchy but it's a WIP and in some months it will surely have a lot more to offer when it comes to turn-by-turn but the basic navigation is already there.
You're not giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he did read the app title. It IS a Google Maps port more or less, as that is the API it uses.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 12/14/2012, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Navit is a lot more useful to me now that we can use the new Google Maps app as a frontend for it. It's a lot easier to find things and hit 'Route with Navit' than it ever was to try to set up destinations in Navit itself. I'd still love to see a Waze client, though, because Navit is lacking live traffic and that's what I'd mainly be interested in using a navigation app for, to get me around accidents and jams that arise while I'm on the road. I can generally look at the map before I leave and remember how to get there without turn-by-turn otherwise. I looked at the Waze site a while back and they have source code for some older versions of their clients posted but I didn't see any API documentation. I guess it could be reverse-engineered from the code but that would probably be a pain.

PS: Doesn't the google maps API terms-of-use prohibit using it to implement a turn-by-turn nav system?
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwrt View Post
Navit is a lot more useful to me now that we can use the new Google Maps app as a frontend for it. It's a lot easier to find things and hit 'Route with Navit' than it ever was to try to set up destinations in Navit itself.

Navit is quite easy to set a destination for. (after it is set as a Just Type Launch & Search option)
  • Type the destination in to Just Type and tap the Navit icon,
  • Select a calendar event which has an address, Menu>Event Location>Get Directions
  • Select a contact and tap their address
Navit opens and provides directions. Couldn't be much easier. :-)
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0