webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > JustSay - Siri for webOS
JustSay - Siri for webOS
Like Tree14Likes

Old 12/12/2012, 12:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
hahaha if this ever works, I would have to get some custom answers programmed in there about Siri for my iPhone loving friends...
-"Just Say, tell me a joke!"
-"Okay, two webOS phones walk into Leo's office... the rest I forgot."
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by brandongoeszoom likes this.
Old 12/12/2012, 01:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
"Okay, two webOS phones walk into Leo's office, however he beheads them before they get a chance to tell their joke"
Old 12/12/2012, 02:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
"Punchline coming in the weeks ahead!"

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by brandongoeszoom and Vistaus like this.
Old 12/12/2012, 03:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
nice, some sort of longpress/hold on the gesture area for phones? yeah that would be quite handy for just type, even for the phone dialler app, not sure what else beyond that but its nice to imagine.
Or by "double-clicking" both volume buttons simultaneously. Have a service that is started even before the card loads completely, so that there is less perceived lag...

All in all, i like the idea, even though i'd never use it...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by pingenet likes this.
Old 12/12/2012, 10:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

One thing that makes me wonder, on the reasons that Palm couldn't do such a thing like the Voice Search capability similar to the "Just Say" for WebOS 2.0 ? I mean just a few Chinese developers that created such a useful tool for WebOS, without much resources and it was created....And the team at Palm couldn't made this feature possible for WebOS phones/platform.
Old 12/13/2012, 05:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
One thing that makes me wonder, on the reasons that Palm couldn't do such a thing like the Voice Search capability similar to the "Just Say" for WebOS 2.0 ? I mean just a few Chinese developers that created such a useful tool for WebOS, without much resources and it was created....And the team at Palm couldn't made this feature possible for WebOS phones/platform.
Well they were struggling with developing the core system to merge 2.x with 3.x. And at this time "getting things done" via JustType was quite fast compared to other mobileOS possibilities. What HP did afterwards, i'm not very sure - but they blew it. In my opinion voice search would still be no high priority task on webOS development, i think there are way more important fields to catch up.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 06:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The voice recognition is not bad, but it seems that some of the location-based services that have been used for Just Say don't work outside of China. For example, it will only tell you the weather and show you the map of cities in China.
Charence is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kevets likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 06:36 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charence View Post
The voice recognition is not bad, but it seems that some of the location-based services that have been used for Just Say don't work outside of China. For example, it will only tell you the weather and show you the map of cities in China.
what did it take for you to install? Does it search the local phone data at all? Like typing a contact's name into just type.

man this is the kind of stuff that really makes you wonder what the limits are for webos in the right hands.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 07:13 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charence View Post
wasn't even siri usa only until recently?
Old 12/13/2012, 07:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
what did it take for you to install? Does it search the local phone data at all? Like typing a contact's name into just type.

man this is the kind of stuff that really makes you wonder what the limits are for webos in the right hands.
I think someone mentioned this earlier. Just download the ipk from the developer's website JustSay and install the package.

It seems it does not use data from contacts, but I seem to remember the dev had a screenshot of it launching another app. You can follow him on www.weibo.com/noteday

Most of the functionality seems to be based on GPS. It can also give you word definitions and other info from an encyclopedia. It has a funny sense of humour too.
Charence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 07:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

it seems it can open apps too:

via hitapps: http://is.gd/ehisij (google translated)
Liked by Charence likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 10:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Speech recognition has advanced quite a lot in the last couple of years. So has network speed and easily available natural speech parsing systems. There's a lot more involved than just "listen to mic, turn words into text, google for text". And that second step isn't particularly easy, and was in a much worse state back in 2009, 2010 when there were some fairly significant advances in that.

But, I think what most services are doing (I could be wrong) is just sending the straight audio to a processing system on the other end of the internet, which then turns it into words, then lexes it out for natural language parsing into something that it can try to understand, and then returns the response for searching on that. It's all quite messy.

Theoretically, Autonomy, if it works properly, could have one hell of a good engine for that sort of thing, but I'm not sure how general their stuff is.

I'd love to see it, since people go nuts over voice-to-text-message things, but frankly, I think most of us would end up playing with it a few minutes, then never using it again.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 01/13/2013, 02:13 AM   #33 (permalink)

I have Siri and rarely use it as it seems more of a novelty to me. Yes there are some cool things about it but usually she's just a pain especially texting or emailing as if I pause she is ready to send.
redrum0036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2013, 06:13 PM   #34 (permalink)

Anybody have the ipk in english or know how to do it ?
pingenet is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0