webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Newsroom stopped working, alternatives
Newsroom stopped working, alternatives

Old 11/23/2012, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

So on my pre 3 I have still been using the RSS app newsroom, I am aware the developer stopped support a few years back but the app continued to work fine until a few days ago, anyone else had issues? As it was my favorite RSS app, especially liked the interface are there any similar alternatives for the phones?
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have the same issues since 3 days. Now i use Sea Bird 3 from fioware on my Pre3.

I would love to see headlines2 from coodingbees working on my pre3...
Installed it via apptuckerbox but it doesnt work!
figgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

I'm a Google Reader person, so Feeder is my preferred feeds viewer. Great app, highly recommend.

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...lonapps.feeder
Old 11/25/2012, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
I'm a Google Reader person, so Feeder is my preferred feeds viewer. Great app, highly recommend.

Well if the big boss says it..I should give it a try,

the other one I was considering were Rhythm news, though not sure if that had its bugs worked out, and the reviews are a mixed bag, but the UI seems nice in the pictures.
Old 11/27/2012, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mine stopped working last week also.
Grambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post

Unfortunately Google Reader doesn't appear to work in an offline mode, which was one of the nice things about Newsroom.

Rhythm News, which does apparently have offline mode, has a number of poor reviews and doesn't have any reviews during the last year. Can anyone here give it a thumbs up or down?
ALuckyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALuckyGuy View Post
Unfortunately Google Reader doesn't appear to work in an offline mode, which was one of the nice things about Newsroom.

Rhythm News, which does apparently have offline mode, has a number of poor reviews and doesn't have any reviews during the last year. Can anyone here give it a thumbs up or down?
Same here: NewsRoom stopped working on my Sprint Palm Pre Minus a few days ago. I need a (good) newsreader that works in offline mode so I can catch up on news while underground on the subway. Sadly, the loss of NewsRoom may be the straw that breaks this particular camel's back and drives it limping toward a new Android device or (shudder) iPhone.

I tried uninstalling NewsRoom and see that in order to re-install it I apparently need to pay USD $4.99, which is fine except for the fact that the most recent comments say the paid version isn't working either (I did download and re-install it anyway but it's just generating an error message when it tries to load feeds.)

I've been loath to pull the plug on my Pre but this may finally force my hand. Sigh.
Samizdat2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Is there any work around for Newsroom? Is it possible the app will running in the future? Is it possible to change the Server-Adress für Newsroom to get the feeds directly?
Tronic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronic7 View Post
Is there any work around for Newsroom? Is it possible the app will running in the future? Is it possible to change the Server-Adress für Newsroom to get the feeds directly?
You'd need to contact the app author for permission to update it, if the author has any interest in doing so.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nic Pottier seems to be the author, and he seems to have left Seattle and moved to Kigali, Rwanda to start Nyaruka Ltd - a SMS software startup. Hopefully, he will give the code to someone so it can be restored.
greg.gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm in the same boat. NewsRoom has not updated feeds since last Wednesday (11/21/12), and I could not even generate a backup (I thought I might need to reinstall the app). And a Google search revealed no salient information.

Great. my favorite news reader has gone kaput. Color me sad.
brainwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
You'd need to contact the app author for permission to update it, if the author has any interest in doing so.
The worrying thing is if you go on the developers site, the forums page they used to have does not load anymore, and there does not seem to be a way to contact them.
Old 11/30/2012, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samizdat2003 View Post
I tried uninstalling NewsRoom and see that in order to re-install it I apparently need to pay USD $4.99, which is fine except for the fact that the most recent comments say the paid version isn't working either (I did download and re-install it anyway but it's just generating an error message when it tries to load feeds.)
Just so you know, when you see the 4.99 tag, when you tap to go into the description it should give you the option to download for free.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Just so you know, when you see the 4.99 tag, when you tap to go into the description it should give you the option to download for free.
Yes, thanks, I did do that and re-installed it. The problem now is that news sites simply never load.
Old 11/30/2012, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you, just wanted to make sure you knew that for any app.... wasn't sure what you meant when you said you reinstalled after talking about paying again
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/30/2012, 05:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you, just wanted to make sure you knew that for any app.... wasn't sure what you meant when you said you reinstalled after talking about paying again
No worries. Now I'm really on the fence. Newsroom was probably my most used app after email. I need a good newsreader. I haven't seen any updates on the web about Newsroom on WebOS; looks like it's a dead issue. Been eyeing the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2. May be time to finally make the switch.
Old 11/30/2012, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thankfully I don't have the offline mode need that some of you folks do...

Newspaper creator says it's for the touchpad, but shows up in my Pre3 catalog and appears to have Pre3 screen shots... 1.99 (this is from ScienceApps and as far as I am aware he is still around using and supporting webOS, his last post here was 10-1)

App page lists Pre3 compatibility
https://developer.palm.com/appredire...wspapercreator

News Feed is free

I just searched for offline RSS, I found some other apps that won't meet your needs, but looks like you have options to try out.
Old 11/30/2012, 07:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronic7 View Post
Nope. I did some digging and it looks like the app does almost all of the work on the developer's server. I wasn't even able to manually add a feed URL and get it to work. lol
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 05:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgel View Post
Have the same issues since 3 days. Now i use Sea Bird 3 from fioware on my Pre3.

In the wake of NewsRoom going kaput on us, I cannot add new URLs to Sea Bird.
brainwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 03:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwise View Post
In the wake of NewsRoom going kaput on us, I cannot add new URLs to Sea Bird.
Sometimes Sea Bird dont add new feeds to the general view.
After a restart the feeds are added.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
figgel is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0