webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > WebOS Users: Needed
WebOS Users: Needed
Like Tree10Likes

Old 11/21/2012, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Yesterday, we all have read the sad news of the developer "Inglorious Apps" (who has left the WebOS platform) known for many of its app on the HP Catalog for the TouchPad tablet. For me it's quite a shock to see more application developers leave this OS, specially when we have high hopes for the future of Open Source of WebOS. While it's not shocking considering like Derek Kessler said, "WebOS users shrinking by days" but I think that it's not time to dwell in sadness or regrets. I have decided to write this post, to gather the support WebOS users(like myself) to write a message via twitter or email to this developer.....I'm hoping it's not too late change his mind and make him reconsider to come back to WebOS development of apps.

So please, send emails and messages on the developer twitter page showing support for the WebOS that we all love and use everyday. It could also be great to contact maybe Thornton from the WebOS(developer relations) to write him a letter, I'm sure word from WebOS team could persuade him, possibly don't sure about that(but it's worth a try).

Contact email: ingloriousapps@gmail.com
Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/IngloriousApps

I already wrote him several messages.....please show support as well....
Thanks
Old 11/21/2012, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

FYI, it sounded like it was support emails taking up too much time that drove him to that decision.
Old 11/21/2012, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Yesterday, we all have read the sad news of the developer "Inglorious Apps" (who has left the WebOS platform) known for many of its app on the HP Catalog for the TouchPad tablet. For me it's quite a shock to see more application developers leave this OS, specially when we have high hopes for the future of Open Source of WebOS.
If you've actually followed him on Twitter for more than a day, you'd know he's long gone from webOS and into iOS/Android pastures now and doing just fine in that world.

The only thing he did was finally formalize it, and bugging him with endless messages isn't going to further your case when he's told people outright on Twitter that webOS development is something with no clear direction for success at this point. He has no interest in coming back short of a miracle involving Open webOS becoming commercially competitive, and that also has no evidence of happening--so it's not even worth considering.

For every developer that formalizes their dropping of webOS, there are several others that just do it silently, stop their updates, and concentrate their efforts on other platforms. All you have to do is follow and look. I mean, honestly, do you really expect Flashcards to be updated ever again? Or any one of hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of other independently developed apps that once enjoyed success?

Many webOS developers even took their knowledge of Enyo and ran for other operating systems as soon as it became feasible to do so when the Enyo Project began supporting other platforms. And they haven't looked back.

Most importantly, stop annoying the developers that move on. You're far more likely to drive them further away with your zealous desperation than convincing them to come back. Developers go where the excitement, progress, and money are, and largely aren't interested in charity cases for orphaned mobile operating systems where they can't make money*. Open webOS and especially legacy webOS just aren't worth most developers investing any time in anymore and if you fault them for it, it's not their problem. If webOS ever becomes a platform worth considering again in the future, they'll be the first ones to come back.

(* Hint: The only developers making more money on webOS than other platforms are 1) those that only develop for webOS, and 2) those that don't understand the audience of other platforms at all, and 3) those that don't both to use any of the user interface conventions or user experience constructs of other platforms when porting their apps. Users either won't trust them or understand them when most of their other apps tend to have at least some UI/UX consistency.)

Last edited by dignitary; 11/21/2012 at 09:34 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I assume your last statement was directed at me.

I still make more in webOS app sales than the other platforms combined. Sure, my app sucks on Android, but unfortunlately, there's not much I can do about that besides attempt to re-write it in a more Android friendly version of the framework. Unfortunately, initial tests say that Android still absolutely sucks for web apps, until you get to 4.1 or 4.2.

PlayBook, I have no rationale for, though -- The PlayBook itself has no consistent UI metaphors at all, other than the use of bezel swipes. However, virtually all of my support requests are from the dozen or so PlayBook downloads that I get each month - the numbers on webOS outweigh PlayBook approximately 8 to 1, but the time I spend on support for my apps is more like 90% playbook, 5% Android, 5% webOS.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz, Rnp, dignitary and 3 others like this.
Old 11/22/2012, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't spam them, you'll only succeed in not changing their mind AND ****ing them off.

Chill
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
cgk

Can a developer eat twitter messages of support?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 11/22/2012, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Instead of trying to get developers that leave to stay, lets continue to support the ones that stay. Like donate to preware developers and buy apps from catalog. I just got Archive Manager from pcworldsoftware. Only issue would be trying to figure out who is still actively supporting webOS apps in the catalog.
miles4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
Can a developer eat twitter messages of support?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
We should get Twitter to set up a system that is like text donations.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
We should get Twitter to set up a system that is like text donations.
twitter for food?

facebook "like" for food?

it could catch on.
Old 11/22/2012, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post

I still make more in webOS app sales than the other platforms combined. Sure, my app sucks on Android, but unfortunlately, there's not much I can do about that besides attempt to re-write it in a more Android friendly version of the framework. Unfortunately, initial tests say that Android still absolutely sucks for web apps, until you get to 4.1 or 4.2.

PlayBook, I have no rationale for, though -- The PlayBook itself has no consistent UI metaphors at all, other than the use of bezel swipes. However, virtually all of my support requests are from the dozen or so PlayBook downloads that I get each month - the numbers on webOS outweigh PlayBook approximately 8 to 1, but the time I spend on support for my apps is more like 90% playbook, 5% Android, 5% webOS.
I will also confirm that my webOS apps are still doing the best. We'll be releasing another webOS app next week '123 Trace' to compliment our current 'ABC Trace' app. We are humbled that we continue to see daily downloads of this app.

We're also still updating DataJog and will continue to do so.

Just another dev's point of view!
Scott

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
DataJog is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman and Cantaffordit like this.
Old 11/22/2012, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm a user of several of Inglorious Apps' apps, and I was worried until I saw the tweet he wasn't pulling them from the app catalog, just stopping support. That's all I care about-still being able to use the apps. Does anybody really need support at this point? Leave him alone before he pulls his apps out of frustration!
Old 11/22/2012, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
If you've actually followed him on Twitter for more than a day, you'd know he's long gone from webOS and into iOS/Android pastures now and doing just fine in that world.

The only thing he did was finally formalize it, and bugging him with endless messages isn't going to further your case when he's told people outright on Twitter that webOS development is something with no clear direction for success at this point. He has no interest in coming back short of a miracle involving Open webOS becoming commercially competitive, and that also has no evidence of happening--so it's not even worth considering.

For every developer that formalizes their dropping of webOS, there are several others that just do it silently, stop their updates, and concentrate their efforts on other platforms. All you have to do is follow and look. I mean, honestly, do you really expect Flashcards to be updated ever again? Or any one of hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of other independently developed apps that once enjoyed success?

Many webOS developers even took their knowledge of Enyo and ran for other operating systems as soon as it became feasible to do so when the Enyo Project began supporting other platforms. And they haven't looked back.

[I]Most importantly, stop annoying the developers that move on. You're far more likely to drive them further away with your zealous desperation than convincing them to come back. Developers go where the excitement, progress, and money are, and largely aren't interested in charity cases for orphaned mobile operating systems where they can't make money*. Open webOS and especially legacy webOS just aren't worth most developers investing any time in anymore and if you fault them for it, it's not their problem. If webOS ever becomes a platform worth considering again in the future, they'll be the first ones to come back.

[I](* Hint: The only developers making more money on webOS than other platforms are 1) those that only develop for webOS, and 2) those that don't understand the audience of other platforms at all, and 3) those that don't both to use any of the user interface conventions or user experience constructs of other platforms when porting their apps. Users either won't trust them or understand them when most of their other apps tend to have at least some UI/UX consistency.)
LOL. There is no way an indie dev can make money from any platform.

Green pastures? Oh, c'mon... From what I know, IngloriousApps has stopped development completely.

Last edited by deCorvett; 11/23/2012 at 01:27 AM.
deCorvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I'm a user of several of Inglorious Apps' apps, and I was worried until I saw the tweet he wasn't pulling them from the app catalog, just stopping support. That's all I care about-still being able to use the apps. Does anybody really need support at this point? Leave him alone before he pulls his apps out of frustration!
It's understandable everyone's point of view of not spamming him with emails/messages (he already abandoned the platform), I totally get where you all coming from. We know that at WebOS right now, is completely dead and has no future whatsoever under Stupid HP. Yet, hearing these kind of developers leave WebOS is bad news for this OS, and what's worse further down the line more developers will leave without any hope that they will come back.

Luckily, my talks with Astraware had been a bit better with them promising that they will not drop support for WebOS only that there's won't be any further app development. That's my biggest hope that developers will continue to support this forgotten operating system, not on abandoned it like most developers have been doing lately. Just hope that WebOS Team at HP will focus not only on Open WebOS but fight to retain developers as well....
Old 11/22/2012, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

deCorvett,

Although I've never made enough from the app catalog in a month to pay all my bills, with only 2 paid apps out there, the amount that I have made has made a big difference in my life. Of course, that has come to a head with a relatively long term contract with a mobile developer, so that I can do this stuff full time. But it's not for my own apps, full time.

webOS and PlayBook continue to pay my electricity and internet bills, and Android pays the taxes on the webOS and PlayBook income.

Your app has far more appeal than my apps, though, although it's still a somewhat vertical market. (do you have apps other than Communities/Forums ?)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 11/22/2012, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm talking in general; no direction at all there.
Old 11/23/2012, 01:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
deCorvett,

Although I've never made enough from the app catalog in a month to pay all my bills, with only 2 paid apps out there, the amount that I have made has made a big difference in my life. Of course, that has come to a head with a relatively long term contract with a mobile developer, so that I can do this stuff full time. But it's not for my own apps, full time.

webOS and PlayBook continue to pay my electricity and internet bills, and Android pays the taxes on the webOS and PlayBook income.

Your app has far more appeal than my apps, though, although it's still a somewhat vertical market. (do you have apps other than Communities/Forums ?)
Wow, didn't know, congrats! Don't get me wrong, just I don't feel it pays the effort, and dfinitely, you can't make a living on any platform from this, something people don't realize, talking about green pastures and so on.

Attending to renevue/development cost, MailLists was by far my best app, as it gave me a 1000 bucks price, and pretty strong sales until appeared other alternatives.

Communities has been a black hole of time, with strong sales at the beggining, but right now its dead on the market. Same for Forums. Don't get me wrong, I did money from them, but both are death now.

I don't feel confident it's work the effort of porting them other platforms (Tapatalk kicked my *** with desktop versions when they were ready to market for Mac, and that's something makes you rethink everything), And I don't want to do another X wannabe to get a couple of sales weekly.
Old 11/23/2012, 01:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
It's understandable everyone's point of view of not spamming him with emails/messages (he already abandoned the platform), I totally get where you all coming from. We know that at WebOS right now, is completely dead and has no future whatsoever under Stupid HP. Yet, hearing these kind of developers leave WebOS is bad news for this OS, and what's worse further down the line more developers will leave without any hope that they will come back.

Luckily, my talks with Astraware had been a bit better with them promising that they will not drop support for WebOS only that there's won't be any further app development. That's my biggest hope that developers will continue to support this forgotten operating system, not on abandoned it like most developers have been doing lately. Just hope that WebOS Team at HP will focus not only on Open WebOS but fight to retain developers as well....
Is this you claiming credit for the Astraware apps on webos?
Old 11/23/2012, 02:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

@deCorvett:
What about porting Communites to BlackBerry's PlayBook?
Especially with their $10K-Bounty this makes sense, e.g. RIM guarantees $10,000 to BlackBerry 10 devs in first year

Sven Ziegler has already ported his webOS apps (OrganizeMe! and ReadOnTouch) with great success.
Old 11/23/2012, 08:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
@deCorvett:
What about porting Communites to BlackBerry's PlayBook?
Especially with their $10K-Bounty this makes sense, e.g. RIM guarantees $10,000 to BlackBerry 10 devs in first year

Sven Ziegler has already ported his webOS apps (OrganizeMe! and ReadOnTouch) with great success.
As usual, the devil is in the details and BB10 != Playbook.

You have to:

1. Pass a quality test (including performance and stability, which can be a bear when porting or relying on third-party APIs)
2. Use Blackberry 10 interface/UX conventions to a large degree (depending on the app it's some serious work if you're porting)
3. Earn $1k on your own with your app before you're eligible for the $10k guarantee.

https://developer.blackberry.com/bui...ommitment.html
https://developer.blackberry.com/bui.../criteria.html
https://developer.blackberry.com/bui...rformance.html

I don't think Enyo apps are going to fare well at all with the guidelines they have set up.
Old 11/24/2012, 11:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

dignitary,

I bet creating an Enyo 2 library that interfaces with their javascript UI thing would be pretty popular.

Hopefully they actually -have- UI conventions in BB10, because the PlayBook has .. none.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0