webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > WebOS Users: Needed
WebOS Users: Needed
Like Tree10Likes

Old 11/26/2012, 04:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
Is this you claiming credit for the Astraware apps on webos?
Are you seriously listening to yourself Mr. Steven_Farkas, I have never ever said anything about claiming credit for anything to do with Astraware apps. I'm all saying is that having some sort of open communication with developers that remain active on WebOS, should be a really high top priority to the team of WebOS at HP(on top of the Open WebOS project). I think that shifting some efforts into developers could have positive effect into it....with developers NOT dropping SUPPORT of their apps on WebOS.

If you look into the efforts that RIM is placing for their own BB10 platform and encouraging future deveps with the 10k price for apps, that something that HP should be doing or at least focusing on that for the sake of Open WebOS. While there's no future hardware with this OS, important to keep developers happy and sticking around for this platform.

But of course we talking about a company of STUPID HP (and a dumb CEO Mrs. Whitman) who buys companies like crazy and takes a huge loss of profits "Autonomy" anyone ? With those quality of people managing HP it's difficult to have any positive progress with WebOS, can we ?
Old 11/26/2012, 05:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
If you look into the efforts that RIM is placing for their own BB10 platform and encouraging future deveps with the 10k price for apps, that something that HP should be doing or at least focusing on that for the sake of Open WebOS. While there's no future hardware with this OS, important to keep developers happy and sticking around for this platform.
RIM is actively producing devices, while HP is not. That's the difference. With HP unwilling to support regular webOS, there's no incentive for developers to continue development and support. There's practically no going forward with regular webOS, only with Open webOS, which still haven't seen any new hardware.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 09:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I'm all saying is that having some sort of open communication with developers that remain active on WebOS, should be a really high top priority to the team of WebOS at HP(on top of the Open WebOS project).
Your first mistake is believing there's actually a legacy "webOS" team that isn't the Open webOS team. The people running the App Catalog are just keeping the servers and invoicing alive, and that's it.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 02:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

dignitary,

thank you for pointing out the details. As of now the PlayBook is expected to get the BB10 update so all PlayBook owners are also potential BB 10 owners.

1. and 2. sure are difficult to achieve, but 3. will most probably not be the problem if your app meets common demand. There's too much good software missing on the PlayBook, e.g. a good Twitter client (the two with top rating I have bought are crap even compared to the free ones existing on webOS - IMHO). Plus (unfortunately) PlayBook prices seem to be much higher than on other eco systems.
Old 11/27/2012, 03:02 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertR View Post
I find it hard to believe that developers are still making money from webOS. I myself have not even looked on the app catalog in probably a year. With no new customers and customers leaving who are still buying apps?
I have a look in the App Catalog two or three times a week. Until a short while ago always some new apps have been added or updated (*). But now there's only little action.
(*) My experience is that the integrated software update is always a little bit late in detecting new versions.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0