webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Thread email app, who wants to compile?
Thread email app, who wants to compile?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 10/30/2012, 04:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

A few weeks ago the source was released for a threaded email app. But it didn't really get any traction here (if I'm not mistaken or search isn't failing on me). Open webOS :: Threaded E-Mail App

I guess it's possible. This was tweeted yesterday:

Quote:
webOS DevRelations ‏@webOSdev
Surprised more developers haven't picked up on the threaded mail app. It can be built and run on stock webOS. #justsayin
So, anyone wants to build it and put it into Preware?
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

can not compile, but would test reallive on phones 2.2.4.

Quote:
It still needs enyo 1.0. The threaded code doesn't have any fake data set up, so you won't be able to run it standalone in a browser.
guess this will not be working on webOS 2.2.4 despite using enyo 1.0 ehh

But if ShiftyAlex gets his hands on a compiled 3.x version, he surely will adopt it to phone size: https://twitter.com/i/#!/shiftyaxel/media/grid

Last edited by gizmo21; 10/30/2012 at 11:40 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is great work, has anyone else played around with it and found any more bugs (besides the threaded across folders, which is experimental)?

Hans
hans109h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

pretty sure this is 100% legal

packaged as attachment

credit to @webosdev and the guy who made it, not me!

a birdie said to me, "you need to manually remove the old mail app, reboot, and install the package" so if you can't get it to work right away, try this

EDIT: updated with the actual new version

EDIT 2: @jasonl__ "Keep old email app installed. If you keep it, you can revert to stock by deleting the app from the launcher and restarting SysMgr." << pretty good advice

EDIT 3: Added com.palm.app.mail with app renamed to "Mail" .zip attachment

EDIT 4: @jasonl__ points out Also, should remove any homebrew patches that touch the email app before installing, or else Preware might lose track of them.

EDIT 5: It appears there's a bit of confusion regarding the two attachments: The 2nd attachment does not work. It has problems interacting with the OS's database system and does not have access to the accounts. The working .IPK is com.palm.app.email one.

For instructions on how to enable a separate app id with working database, thank Jason L who wrote up a neat github post https://t.co/YvA20ijx He also gives some other tips and insight. I personally don't have time ATM to package, but might be able to tomorrow.

Last edited by fxspec06; 10/31/2012 at 05:48 PM.
fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by spud101, Rnp, 2Phresh and 2 others like this.
Old 10/30/2012, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you remove the stock email app, how would you revert to it again if you don't like this one?
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

SO this will not work on my pre3? also how do u manually remove the email app on the TP?
johnowoss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Updated post with new .ipk with renamed appinfo.json and app id, it's now "Mail" for app name and a different app id from stock email application (com.palm.app.mail vs com.palm.app.email). This is to eliminate confusion and allow the dual install..

Liked by steven_farkas likes this.
Thanked By: steven_farkas
Old 10/30/2012, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

installed and working so far.......finally!
projectpete19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

having trouble viewing emails. Installed the ipk and installed just fine but in the app no emails will show up. I wen into the preferences and resigned into both my google accounts, did a luna restart and a full device restart and no change. Am I doing something wrong? I have original email app still installed sense it is says in previous post that u can dual install.
Old 10/30/2012, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
Updated post with new .ipk with renamed appinfo.json and app id, it's now "Mail" for app name and a different app id from stock email application (com.palm.app.mail vs com.palm.app.email). This is to eliminate confusion and allow the dual install..
Sorry to ask, but can anyone grab the codes and probably create a patch on Preware that way it won't be so confusing installing a new mail app or what not. It would be much better, than way it could easily be install as a patch and instantly have d for a threaded emailing on the stock app.
Old 10/30/2012, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Sorry to ask, but can anyone grab the codes and probably create a patch on Preware that way it won't be so confusing installing a new mail app or what not. It would be much better, than way it could easily be install as a patch and instantly have d for a threaded emailing on the stock app.
A diff can probably be created for that purpose, but it alone isn't enough to set the new app up (needs new db kinds). Plus every other patch for mail will break too.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 10/30/2012, 11:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I installed it on my TP. It opens, displays my accounts, but doesn't download any messages.
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 06:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

if i don't have a headache i can take a look and see if it isn't too hard to make some new DB kinds .. if it isn't i can repackage quick but i can't afford to spend a lot of time on it with school projects and such

Old 10/31/2012, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
I installed it on my TP. It opens, displays my accounts, but doesn't download any messages.
same here.
johnowoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Email downloaded and it works really good for me. Thanks guys

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
DMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnowoss View Post
same here.
same for me - i can see all my accounts, but no email
Old 10/31/2012, 11:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
same for me - i can see all my accounts, but no email
For now you have no choice but to overwrite the stock email app, the .ipk with the modified app id will not work because of database permission bugs...

Old 10/31/2012, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
For now you have no choice but to overwrite the stock email app, the .ipk with the modified app id will not work because of database permission bugs...
Is there any instructions on how to do that? And has anyone tried it out on pre3?
Old 11/26/2012, 07:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
if i don't have a headache i can take a look and see if it isn't too hard to make some new DB kinds .. if it isn't i can repackage quick but i can't afford to spend a lot of time on it with school projects and such
Just one question, can this new email app(with threaded messaging capability) be created as third party application to be released to the HP catalog that way users won't have to delete anything or complicate themselves into installing it on their WebOS 3.0.5 TouchPad ?
Old 11/26/2012, 08:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Just one question, can this new email app(with threaded messaging capability) be created as third party application to be released to the HP catalog that way users won't have to delete anything or complicate themselves into installing it on their WebOS 3.0.5 TouchPad ?
There could be complications if the code uses undocumented APIs. Also all the database kinds have to be renamed so it doesn't conflict with the existing email app.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0